Moving Head Mounting Idea!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

maestro

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 30, 2006
British Columbia
www.musicmaestrodj.com
Has anyone ever mounted a mover like in the photo? I just ordered a pair of 2" Global Truss tubes to mount on my Global base plates. I won't be using pipe and drape so no worries there. I will be mounting my new Intimidator 255 IRC movers on top which are compact at approx. 8 x 9" where they mount and 12.6 lbs. I will cover the tubes with white sock covers. Your thoughts?

mover on pole w base.jpg

Reactions: aguilas583
No way. I have P&D and the tubing doesn't give enough side-to-side support. I think you're begging for trouble.
If it's a truss tube .. not a P&D tube .. the fit should be tighter and less prone to wobble.

Reactions: maestro
No way. I have P&D and the tubing doesn't give enough side-to-side support. I think you're begging for trouble.
I would have to agree. You will get some wobble from the movers. May be tolerable?

Yeah I'm not sure I'm seeing the advantage here. You have shown it mounted on pipe and drape (which I get you are only using for illustration purposes) and have the intent to mount it in a similar fashion using a box truss baseplate and only one tube?

It will still be a little bit wobbly I believe as those tubes are designed to work as one four piece unit for strength and stability as shown here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2WITw2IOiM

Not only that, but if I understand you correctly, by only using one tube on one of the corners of the baseplate, your centre of gravity is going to be way off and will still be prone to falling easier in the event of someone banging into it. Also if you are planning on using a scrim anyways, why not just go with the four tubes and make it complete and proper? The scrim will look much better covering four tubes than the stretchy triangle that will result from the way you are planning to do it, imo.

Seems like you are deciding to sacrifice both looks and stability to save a miniscule amount of weight and setup time.

I already have four sticks of box truss so I'm wanting to try something different, less intrusive to the decor. I see decorators cover their upright poles with white socks all the time and it looks good.

Yes, pipe and drape is for illustration purposes only! I knew someone would comment without reading what was written.

The tube would be attached to the center of the heavy base plate. There is zero play where they connect as these are machined to tight tolerances, unlike pipe & drape. There could be some 'sway' when the head is panning.

I know that simple threaded steel pipe would be rock solid screwed into flanges that are mounted to heavy wood bases, I just wanted to do it in a more professional way.

I already have four sticks of box truss so I'm wanting to try something different, less intrusive to the decor. I see decorators cover their upright poles with white socks all the time and it looks good.

Yes, pipe and drape is for illustration purposes only! I knew someone would comment without reading what was written.

The tube would be attached to the center of the heavy base plate. There is zero play where they connect as these are machined to tight tolerances, unlike pipe & drape. There could be some 'sway' when the head is panning.

I know that simple threaded steel pipe would be rock solid screwed into flanges that are mounted to heavy wood bases, I just wanted to do it in a more professional way.

If the single truss pole doesn't work, you could use a pipe union connected to the base with a large screw and a shaft of threaded steel pipe. Attaching the union to the base would be the tough part .. not sure of the availability of a screw with a large diameter and short length .. might have to be turned.

Looking a little farther, I have seen a few plates that are a bit smaller than the 800x800mm of the BS800, but still larger than the standard plate for 12" box truss. I still fail to see the advantage. If you are planning on making your own, and if you are scrimming them anyways, then why bother going with anything more professional looking (and heavier) than a piece of plywood for a base that you can just mount a small aluminum stanchion on top of that has a set screw?

Do you have the ability to drill, countersink and thread a centre hole in your base plates or is there an existing hole already?
I guess I should have asked that question first but any base plates I've seen of standard size for 12" box truss don't have centre holes pre-drilled and tapped.

So the only base plate I see that will do what you are suggesting, is the Global Truss BS800 which is twice as wide as a standard base plate and from what I can see, only available in the U.K.

GLOBAL TRUSS - BS800(PL) - Base Plate, 800 x 800 x 80mm for F31/F33/F34 | CPC UK

Again, where's the advantage if you have to use a plate twice the size you would normally use otherwise?
I already have a pair of those exact plates, 30" square. I also have a pair of 20' square, all are Global. The plate is very thick on both, the same actually, not like the thin ones seen in the video.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJ TJ
You could always add a washer between the tube and base plate if you needed to shore up any play or sway.

I like the idea, it's very minimalist. I also use the single fixture on a pole look, albeit not for a mover, but just a single LED par.

I've seen pro install pipes covered white or black depending on the room and the wall behind them, so I wouldn't always default to white. But if the idea is to get this to blend in as much as possible, it's definitely a way to go.

Another option .. K&M makes a flat base speaker stand with adjustable pole (basically a sub pole screwed into a base) .. goes up to 6' in height. I know there are mounting plates to hold a mover that can sit on top of a speaker pole ...

K&M 26734 Speaker stand

5cd7e0385c54153604d5a2ea23997e90e-productpage_orig.jpg

Round version seems to be available in more places (and in white or black) ... K&M 26735 Round-base Speaker Stand - White

565484501fefc4b5ffc30bbe2285aed86-productpage_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ TJ and maestro
Do you have the ability to drill, countersink and thread a center hole in your base plates or is there an existing hole already?
I guess I should have asked that question first but any base plates I've seen of standard size for 12" box truss don't have center holes pre-drilled and tapped.

My 20 inch plates have a center hole from the factory but my 30 inch plates do not. I could easily do it though.

I like the idea, it's very minimalist. I also use the single fixture on a pole look, albeit not for a mover, but just a single LED par.

I've seen pro install pipes covered white or black depending on the room and the wall behind them, so I wouldn't always default to white. But if the idea is to get this to blend in as much as possible, it's definitely a way to go.

Do you use a regular tripod or something similar to what I am thinking?

Steve, I like those K&M stands but they are a bit short and hard to add a sock to because of the clamps. Thanks for posting that. :)