Martin MX-1

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

prodjay

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 13, 2009
Bossier, Louisiana
I have 4 Martin MX-1 lights that have been in a case in my trailer for about 5 years. Now I get them out to use and I find that none of the lights will come on. The fixture it self works fine, the mirror moves just as it should but no light out put. I went thru all the dip switch settings and everything is set correct. I had a spare new bulb and I installed it into one of the fixtures but still no light output.

What are the odds that all the bulbs have gone bad just sitting?

If you actually use the trailer, I would guess the vibrations over 5 years did them in .. that or a too high humidity inside.

Prodjay , What controller are you using?

I've got an MX1 that won't light up - but mirrors move. The bulb works with the other MX1, so it isn't the bulb in my case. I'm not good with DIY electronics repairs and the fixture's value isn't high enough to pay for repair. Probably a bad connection that can be found with a VM meter (or whatever they're called). If you have one bulb that you know is good, you can test each fixture with it.

Mx1s will light up without a controller if they're working properly. At least that's been my experience.

OK, I found the problem, after a quick chat with a Martin tech, he tells me that both the MX-1 and MX-10 have a problem with the heat thermostat at the bottom of the lamp and it will just go bad with time.

So after a quick test, all is good now. So if you have one of these lights that is working correct but the lamp will not come on, test the thermostat under the lamp.

All that I needed was a 120 degree high limit switch.

For the test, I just put a jumper across the contacts and the lamp came on.

Did you lick them 1st?

;)

When troubleshooting with electricity:

Step 1: Lick across contacts, if successful, you will have a new hairdo
Step 2: If step 1 successful, place jumper across contacts