Grand Entrance song for Sweet16

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Like others, I am also very aware of content and lyrics, especially for a young person event. While some of the adults present may not care (I can almost guarantee that there are adults that do), I do.
Yes, totally get just about everyone, including myself, is aware of content and will play proper versions. My question is how would one prepare themselves to handle a request from BOTH the parents and bday girl that ask you to play the dirty versions (for whatever reason they mention, some more serious than others). These conversations take place about 2-4 weeks beforehand, so its not something you can foresee, and while you can say you only play clean versions initially when you book them, the reality is that is not what you talk about in your initial consulting conversations.

Now I know many will say they're aware of content and lyrics... but are you really? I mean teen music is changing daily, so do you know all the latest trends in it and are able to keep up with all the content in each of the songs? This thread had a playlist that most people were not familiar with. From a quick glance when provided that list, you wouldn't know which songs needed clean versions and which one's didn't.

I'm playing devil's advocate here because I do more teen events than most, especially one's with parents involved (as opposed to proms which are just ran by adults, but not the parent of the guest of honor). I can safely say that 3-5x a year I get this type of request from both parent and kid (as opposed to just the kid which the parents say no to)... I have a standard response to it that has always worked well for me. But it also helps because I'm aware of the songs ahead of time and can speak to specific songs, as opposed to them in general. My ability to mix fast, layer tracks, create loops, avoid verses, and know when a certain curse may drop has also helped me to get away with playing dirty versions of songs that don't have clean versions, and not appearing like a dirty song.

I mention up front that I carry radio playable versions of songs. If they want something explicit, they will have to get it. I also use that time to let them know that while they may be ok with it, other people in attendance may not be. Where they go from there is on them.

I also agree that you can play certain parts of a 'bad' song and get around the issue.

I mention up front that I carry radio playable versions of songs. If they want something explicit, they will have to get it. I also use that time to let them know that while they may be ok with it, other people in attendance may not be. Where they go from there is on them.

I also agree that you can play certain parts of a 'bad' song and get around the issue.

It's a little easier to do here (in the Bible Belt), but I would simply tell the client that I'm a Christian, and can not in all good conscience, play anything that is too explicit. I know that's leaving it to me to determine what's too explicit, but if that does not sit well with the client, then they need to get another DJ. Quite frankly, this situation has never arisen for me, because I do mostly corporate events such. I really feel like I'm too old and out of touch with teens to do those kinds of events.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where they go from there meaning if they still insist, you'll play the song that they gave you on a flash drive?

Bobcat, you're right it really is a small issue, and I'm just having fun playing devils advocate as I do much more of these teen events and see what kids and parents say. Seems that bc I live in a more liberal area apparently... there is less concern here with content than say in a more conservative state where it may not ever come up.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Bobcat, you're right it really is a small issue, and I'm just having fun playing devils advocate as I do much more of these teen events and see what kids and parents say. Seems that bc I live in a more liberal area apparently... there is less concern here with content than say in a more conservative state where it may not ever come up.

You know, the tolerance for the kind of language we're talking about is changing everywhere. Even in Oklahoma, you can hear people swearing in public places all the time... stuff you'd never have heard 10-15 years ago. It exposes children to it at a much younger age, so it makes sense that 16 year olds would be pretty much impervious to it.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where they go from there meaning if they still insist, you'll play the song that they gave you on a flash drive?

I definitely won't plug in any 3rd party flash drive's. I 'may' decide to plug in someone's phone or other device but it's totally at my discretion.

Request list seems normal... longer than what I’d accept,.. but normal and shows she’s with the current trends amongst teens.

As far as intro songs go... I usually have the bday girl pick just like I would have couples pick. I typically recommend house/edm style songs that have a big build up to talk over and a big drop for her to walk into and make a statement.
For me you nailed it. Just ask the girl being honored for the song she wants to come in on. As long as it's appropriate I would go with what she wants.

You know, the tolerance for the kind of language we're talking about is changing everywhere. Even in Oklahoma, you can hear people swearing in public places all the time... stuff you'd never have heard 10-15 years ago. It exposes children to it at a much younger age, so it makes sense that 16 year olds would be pretty much impervious to it.[emoji4]

Not just public places but many TV shows and most series on Netflix

I tell all my potential clients that all my music is clean, playable radio edits. Even in my club residency days, I only played
clean versions. In that atmosphere, the subject matter isn't too much of an issue for me, just the lyrics.

I've been doing more school dances the couple of years and that is the first thing I have the dance coordinators let the students know is I only play clean versions. I have them get requests in advance to get an idea of what they listen to, to make sure I have them, and to check the lyrics and content. Some of them are so bad lyrically that you can't find a clean enough version. I will also take requests at the dance. Last spring at an 8th grade dance, I made a list of about 20 songs that were pre-requested with a note on top of the page that said "I cannot play these songs, so please do not request them". Even though a lot of requests weren't played, I am able to play enough other songs that the kids have a good time.

here's my request list for fridays sweet 16... have fun with handling this one lol:

STRONGER BY KANYE WEST
ANTIDOTE BY TRAVIS SCOTT
ONLY BY NICKI MINAJ
LIKE A G6 BY FAR EAST MOVEMENT
HOT N*GGA BY BOBBY SHMURDA
ICON BY JADEN SMITH
BANK ACCOUNT BY 21 SAVAGE
WINGS BY LITTLE MIX
BLACK SKINHEAD BY KANYE WEST
TROPHIES BY DRAKE
HEAD BAND BY BOB
CRAZY IN LOVE BY BEYONCÉ
BARTIER CARDI BY CARDI B
ONE DANCE BY DRAKE
PICK IT UP BY FAMOUS DEX
MOTORSPORT BY MIGOS
NO LIMIT BY GEAZY
BABY WIPE BY SKI MASK THE SLUMP GOD
THROW SUM MO BY RAE SREMMURD
MI GENTE BY J BALVIN
QUESTIONS BY CHRIS BROWN
MONEY LONGER BY UZI
BODAK YELLOW BY CARDI B (SHOUT OUT NATASHA)
I KNOW U WANT ME BY PITBULL
HOTEL ROOM SERVICE BY PITBULL
SHOTS BY LMFAO
COLD WATER BY JUSTIN BIEBER
PARTY BY CHRIS BROWN
HEARTLESS BY KANYE WEST
GHOSTFACEE KILLERS BY 21 SAVAGE
DRUNK IN LOVE BEYONCÉ
SINGLE LADIES BY BEYONCÉ
DON'T STOP THE PARTY BY PITBULL
BROCCOLI BY DRAM
IM THE ONE BY DJ KHALED