Anybody tried these?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
A 9X3 watt LED can from cheaplights.com

102gltri9.jpg

TRI9 3 in 1 LED DJ Light

I had to split my inventory between a mitzvah and a prom this week, so I wanted to supplement my setup a bit. I'm thinking these SHOULD be a bit brighter than my chauvet slimpar56s. Had pretty good luck with the other LEDs I had gotten from cheaplights, several years back so decided to order a half-dozen and see how it goes. Has anybody used these by chance?

Reactions: Chuck The DJ
BTW, at $45, it's hard to think it'd be a total disaster.
Assuming the power supply and LEDs are properly heat sinked and the whole thing doesn't go up in smoke/flames .. :) It's not like these are UL listed.

They look nice for sure. My issue is the $45. Usually you get what you pay for. What were the other lights you bought from them and how much did they cost?

They look nice for sure. My issue is the $45. Usually you get what you pay for. What were the other lights you bought from them and how much did they cost?

I had a few of the hamsters (which they still sell) and the size up from that. They actually were pretty well made lights and served me well until I upgraded to a nicer fixture. I like some of the larger panel lights they have but the immediate need was to supplement a half-dozen for this weekend.

My biggest concern with some of the cheaper led pars would be if they are video friendly, as in being flicker free.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Personally I like name brand stuff. Stuff I know the name so I know the quality of the products they make. I checked the website and see that the price has been cut by more then 50%. That would send off an alarm in my head. Why such a deep discount on these lights that originally cost less then $100?

Ugh... why bother. They are cheap lights, and you get what you pay for. No battery, no wireless DMX, no IR remote control, RGB only, and 3W LEDs when everybody else is using 18W LEDs. They didn't even bother using an IEC connector - it's got a permanently-attached power cord. And yeah, there's the flicker question.

I think you'd be better off renting whatever extra lighting you need, or borrow some from a friend.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
Besides, that's a problem for the videographer....:sick:

Hehe, yeah even though I usually don't feel any obligation to help them out, I still think it would be in our best interests to have not only quality lighting, but properly aimed lighting as well, so that it doesn't give them any reason to blame us for poor results.
It's best we look our best in all aspects of our performance (audio, video & presentation), since in many instances throughout the video, our work ends up getting showcased as well. Lots of friends of the bride will be looking at those videos in the coming months.

One other thing I've noticed with some of the cheaper led pars is that regardless of the chosen colour, the centre of the beam is always white, with the actual desired colour only existing as a halo.

Hehe, yeah even though I usually don't feel any obligation to help them out, I still think it would be in our best interests to have not only quality lighting, but properly aimed lighting as well, so that it doesn't give them any reason to blame us for poor results.

Oh sure. Just being my usual snarky self.
You know.....a dick.

Reactions: DJ TJ
Yeah, I figured as much. It should have been my comment but you beat me to it.:D

I got the new lights in yesterday. I needed them on the prom this past weekend but UPS bungled the shipment. I set one up, alongside with a Chauvet slimpar56, at my house. Cheaplights is on the left, Slimpar is on the right.

Sign in - Google Accounts

These things are very much like blizzard pucks. Same controls, same menu, and a strong metal chassis. If you're going to lay these flat, I see no reason to put the yokes on them. I'll probably just stick some rubber feet on the bottom. The cord is perm-attached, which I like very much. I didn't see any flicker issues and the light mixes much nicer than the individually colored LEDs in the slimpar. It's hard to judge in this setting but the beam isn't near as tight as the slimpars and I'm estimating there's probably 2X to 3X as many lumens being produced. Still not on par with a 300-watt par56 traditional can but this package will put out a lot of light, cover a lot of area, and pack down nice and tight. It will take a few gigs to really get a feel for them but at first glance this is a solid upgrade and at $45/can, it's a tremendous value.

Last edited:
I like the color the Slimpar puts out better . That "white" look just above the cheap light isn't attractive to me. But the overall color farther up from the cheap light looks better!

One other thing I've noticed with some of the cheaper led pars is that regardless of the chosen colour, the centre of the beam is always white, with the actual desired colour only existing as a halo

Yep.
In all fairness though, it's hard to tell from the photo if they are shining at the exact same angle.
Even a few degrees off will make a difference in the beam spread, colour and intensity of the beams' centre.
I would like to see a pic of the two lights shining horizontally, directly at the wall.