Opinions

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

nextgen1

Mac Daddy DJ
Sep 23, 2006
3,178
784
65
Waterford, CA.
www.tngdj.com
Ok guys I have a good problem to have. I have two possible clients wanting the first date. Just recently I met with a couple and I feel 90 percent sure they will be booking us. But 90 percent is not 100 percent. The are checking on a few things first (certain lights at a venue). But given my soft sell approach, which works very well for me. I told them I would not contact them again and would allow them to contact me which the bride said she appreciated. Well today I received a call from a bride who I spoke with in February. Yep you guessed it, the same date. Now I told her about the other couple and that they would probably book the date and she asked me if anything changes to get a hold of her. My real question would be I believe I should let the first couple know about the person looking at there date. I'm just hesitant given what I said. But I guess when you get right down to it business is business.
 
I would call the first couple and let them know that someone wants to book that date, but you wanted to offer it to them first.

"Sally, I know I said I wasn't going to call you, and let you call me, but it seemed like you were close to booking the date. Someone else has let me know they'd like to book me for that date, so I wanted to offer it to you first before I gave it to them"
 
correct Scott,then whomever comes along with payment first gets it.you would have given both a fair chance,business is business.
 
I always say "I really want to be your DJ, but I have a pending contract for that date. Let me call them and give them one last chance to book. If not, it's open for you. I'll call them tonight and you tomorrow."
 
I never play one prospect against the other. When someone wants to think it over or wait, I always let them know AT THAT TIME that it is FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. Sometimes it gives me great pleasure to let the first person know, when they call back, that the date has been booked. I concentrate all my efforts to close the sale upon the current prospect to whom I am presenting. Telling the second prospect about the first prospect MAY send the message to the second prospect that they are not your priority.
 
yeah I dont play them against each other and Im sure your not, its a good situation to be in, I had a bride a few weeks ago was hee hawing around, and I had called the 3 times and emailed , only to book her date the same day she called me back after they made the decision, it usually works out but always be polite, they have friends and bridesmaids that are getting married soon,, good luck I know you will get the right one
 
It's not playing one against the other. It's being honest, and honoring the fact that one contacted you first, so you offered them first. I have never had either one give any indication that there was a problem with me communicating honestly and clearly.

I have actually had them tell me that they understand and look forward to me getting back to them.
 
If I can be honest, and I don't know what "recently" means to Dave, but if I wasn't going to call someone back, and I told them that, and if they haven't called me in 2 weeks, I would just book the one with the cash in front of me. I wouldn't hold a date on the chance that the 90% people will call me. That said, if you prefer the 90% people, by all means, give them a call. They might appreciate it.
 
It's not playing one against the other. It's being honest, and honoring the fact that one contacted you first, so you offered them first. I have never had either one give any indication that there was a problem with me communicating honestly and clearly.

I have actually had them tell me that they understand and look forward to me getting back to them.
I would much rather the money contact me first. I offered, they did not bite, their risk.
 
Fair enough, but what I suggested is anything but "playing one client against another." How lame is that?
You may not think so, I may not think so but SOME prospects will.

PS Until you have a signed contract with at least a monetary deposit or unless you have previously transacted business with that person, the person is a prospect not a Client.
 
Dave, just be honest and call the first couple and explain the situation.
 
Here's the way to put your own interest first without being unreasonable to anyone - including yourself. There is no reason you need to surrender your calendar to someone else's decision clock. You can be "low pressure" and in charge at the same time:

1. Call the couple you are waiting to hear back from. They may already have booked with someone else and simply not remembered to noitify you. Problem solved. Otherwise, set a decision date no more than 7 days out, or 21 days from the date you originally set forth the terms. You need not metion that there is another potential client, it serves no purpose but to pressure them. YOU should always set a specific date anyway since it gives people fair notice that you would like to move on - but, enough time to communicate with whatever other vendors they are currently shopping. Problem postponed - action date for new client now set.

2. Call the second clinet and let them know that you will have a firm answer on availability next week, and make an appointment for a day just after the first client's deceision deadline. Problem solved - you are going to be booked one way or the other. Cancel the appointment if the first client books.
 
2. Call the second clinet and let them know that you will have a firm answer on availability next week, and make an appointment for a day just after the first client's deceision deadline. Problem solved - you are going to be booked one way or the other. Cancel the appointment if the first client books.
Not necessarily Bob, he could end up loosing both as neither one of those prospect may possess the integrity and scruples that he has. Ever hear the Quote "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"? :triwink:
 
our policy is and always will be: the date is open until there is a signed contract on it.

We had this exact situation happen to us last week for May 19 next year. 3 people expressed "extreme interest" in hiring us (their words in their emails) and we let each of them know that until we receive the information we request for their contract, the date is open. We got the info from one of the them, and sent the contract out, and am now in the holding period (10 days from when contract went out) to see if we get the deposit in. If we don't the date gets opened back up.

I will never fall for the "we are interested in hiring you" line....if you are interested, then sign the contract and be done with it.
 
I don't see why you would wait for anyone in hopes that they would book. I have this happen all the time and like ahoustondj said - I let them know it is FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. We have all had that person who we thought 99% going to book but "something came up". Book whoever calls YOU first and is ready to book.
 
In my pitch I always tell the person who puts me on a "hold" for a date that I will get back to them if I have another call for that date..... now in all honesty, if I haven't heard back from them in months at the time of the 2nd call, I would just book the date.... My contracts that I send out have a 2 week exasperation date... so if nothing else,,,, I am clear that way....

I do not feel it is pitting one against the other and it would be rude just to take the money and run away,,, that my friends is bad Karma... and it's just outright mean...
 
In my pitch I always tell the person who puts me on a "hold" for a date that I will get back to them if I have another call for that date..... now in all honesty, if I haven't heard back from them in months at the time of the 2nd call, I would just book the date.... My contracts that I send out have a 2 week exasperation date... so if nothing else,,,, I am clear that way....

I do not feel it is pitting one against the other and it would be rude just to take the money and run away,,, that my friends is bad Karma... and it's just outright mean...
I believe when it comes down to legal terms that the piece of paper you send out does not become a contract until consideration (Money) has been received, especially if it is a deposit you are collecting. You put yourself at a disadvantage when someone else other than you is in the Driver's seat. Just saying.
 
I have struggled with this in the past as well and have found that in the interest of trying to be considerate to Prospect #1 I have told Prospect #2 that I needed to contact Prospect #1. I then call and email Prospect #1 and wait a couple days. I either don't hear anything, or I hear that they've hired someone else. I then go back to Prospect #2 and let them know the good news that I am available, only to be told that while they were waiting on me to hear from Prospect #1 they have hired somebody else as well.

This has happened a couple of time and I now tell every prospect that I talk to, "I'm not trying to put pressure on you but just so you know, a signed contract and deposit is required to book the date." I love treating my clients like family, but I also have a business to run.

DaveHoyt