Bar & Club Will Bose Pass The Test?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I made a major boo boo this past Saturday. At the end of the night I was taking down my Bose 802 speakers. I did not bring down the crank up tripod low enough (I usually invert it first to get additional height) and was trying to lift it off the stand. I use a metal insert adapter on the top so it would fit the external adapter of the Speaker. It got stuck somewhat when I was pushing it up off the stand. Suddenly it popped off and I was unable to hold it in time. It fell about 8 feet to the floor/stage and bounced, lol. The case was not damaged but by then I had already shut off everything so I could not turn on music to know how it fared! Now I will have to take it out of the van and test it. I am glad it hit wood flooring and not concrete.

I learned my lesson, never be in a hurry to pack up and either lower it down more or use my step ladder.

I made a major boo boo this past Saturday. At the end of the night I was taking down my Bose 802 speakers. I did not bring down the crank up tripod low enough (I usually invert it first to get additional height) and was trying to lift it off the stand. I use a metal insert adapter on the top so it would fit the external adapter of the Speaker. It got stuck somewhat when I was pushing it up off the stand. Suddenly it popped off and I was unable to hold it in time. It fell about 8 feet to the floor/stage and bounced, lol. The case was not damaged but by then I had already shut off everything so I could not turn on music to know how it fared! Now I will have to take it out of the van and test it. I am glad it hit wood flooring and not concrete.

I learned my lesson, never be in a hurry to pack up and either lower it down more or use my step ladder.

Don't feel bad, it happens. I dumped one of my tops (brand new 3-way passives) from a hand truck to the ground this past Saturday. Dented the grill but it fired up and sang all night. Hope yours still works.

Reactions: 2 people
A Bose 802 is practically indestructible... as long as it didn't land face-down, it'll be fine.

Put a real amp through it and see how indestructible it is....

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 1 person
For years I really did like the look and sound of the 802's with the dedicated processor. Is it true that the little drivers inside blow often? What would be a good amp to push them properly with?

The current ones show power handling at 240w continuous at 8 ohms, so probably a 400-500wpc amp (like a QSC PLX2502 or similar) would do it.

Put a real amp through it and see how indestructible it is....
I have used a Crown XTi4000 on it and it took it quite smoothly. There is no need to overdrive it with a bigger amp. Remember, it has proved its worth bought in the 70s and has been used weekly indoors as well as outdoors.

For years I really did like the look and sound of the 802's with the dedicated processor. Is it true that the little drivers inside blow often? What would be a good amp to push them properly with?
Not true, at least not in my case. I love the natural sound and horizontal profile. It also has a nice spread. Those speakers when used as Hi/Mid through their EQ/Crossover do not have a harsh sound at all. They keep up with my scoops. The older versions like mine handle 300watts.

I know it's a speaker.... Why would I tell you to put an amp through an amp?

I see what your saying now. When you said "put a real amp though it" I thought you meant from the fall. No harm just a mix up in understanding. Carry on !

Well I tested it. Solid as a rock, plays well, no dents, no breakages, the port came out a bit because the impact cased the retaining clip to open. I pushed it back in, it snapped closed and all is well back in Soundland! :djsmug: I bet the stage floor has a big dent in it though! Again I am glad it fell on a wooden stage floor. Falling from 8 feet, had it been a concrete floor, there is no telling what the outcome could have been.

Reactions: 5 people
Well I tested it. Solid as a rock, plays well, no dents, no breakages, the port came out a bit because the impact cased the retaining clip to open. I pushed it back in, it snapped closed and all is well back in Soundland! :djsmug: I bet the stage floor has a big dent in it though! Again I am glad it fell on a wooden stage floor. Falling from 8 feet, had it been a concrete floor, there is no telling what the outcome could have been.

This just underlines the value of good equipment. A lot of good brands are built solidly and are able to withstand the punishment of road work. Some brands, usually coming with a low price, are built with very little quality, and with just a little bit of use, can become useless or offer little value.