What would you do?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

prodjay

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 13, 2009
Bossier, Louisiana
As most here know I had a small problem with my new RCF 705ASll sub.

Now that I have looked inside I was surprised that there was no polly fill of any kind and the wires that go from the amp module to the sub look too small. (maybe 16 or 18 gauge)

Would you add poly?

Would you change the wire out to a larger size?

Remember there are new, and that is how they came from RCF.RCF7051.JPGRCF7052.JPG

Reactions: ittigger
Both the same?

IMHO, the wires are too short to make much of a difference going to a heavier gauge. That is not fill in the 902 II - it is "batting" - a layer on the rear panel to prevent reflections through the speaker cone. If you can stand working with the stuff, fiberglass is better. I'd do the back panel, one side panel, and the top panel - stay clear of the ports. I'd be surprised if you hear a difference. None of this stuff has really good absorption at very low frequencies.

If you need to remove the driver, lay the speaker on it's back - don't do it like this maniac in the video! However, I'll give him credit for doing a great demo of "doubling" at 25:59 in the video - you can actually see and hear the second harmonic, and note how low a level it occurred. Testing a speaker like this is far more revealing than playing music through it, which helps cover up the incredibly high distortion levels most systems have at low frequencies.

Last edited:
I took a better look at that video. I think the reason the 905 II has batting is because it actually has an inside back panel, yours does not.
As I said, none of this stuff really works well at low frequencies. They are trying to prevent sound reflecting off of the back panel and going through the back side of the woofer cone, and since it has traveled an additional 3' or so, it is out of phase with it. Can you say "mud". They would be better off using the hard waffle shaped foam (kind of like an inverted egg crate) to simply disperse the reflection.

It looks like you have the power amp with a bazillion uneven surfaces behind the speaker, which should also disperse the reflection.

This is all a long winded way of saying "don't bother with the fiberglass"!!

It is hard to absorb low frequencies <100Hz. Many are disappointed when they wall or corner load their sub, and don't hear the "gain" the textbooks promise. That's because a lot of the low frequency energy goes right through the typical sheet rock/fiberglass insulation wall - it is not being reflected back, like a concrete wall does. Some crazy High-End Audiophiles have actually made concrete speaker enclosures for better sound - a poor choice for the weight conscious Mobile DJ!!

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
It is hard to absorb low frequencies <100Hz. Many are disappointed when they wall or corner load their sub, and don't hear the "gain" the textbooks promise. That's because a lot of the low frequency energy goes right through the typical sheet rock/fiberglass insulation wall - it is not being reflected back, like a concrete wall does. Some crazy High-End Audiophiles have actually made concrete speaker enclosures for better sound - a poor choice for weight conscious Mobile DJ!!
I'm waiting for "transparent aluminum" .. Scotty said it's the next big thing ...

I'm waiting for "transparent aluminum" .. Scotty said it's the next big thing ...
Well, apparently the tide pod crowd now has aluminum balls instead of fidget spinners.... Not transparent, but shocking non the less..... Wonder how many microwaves will be replaced this month.....

-ball-of-aluminum-foil-for-2-minutes-this-31989568.png

Well, apparently the tide pod crowd now has aluminum balls instead of fidget spinners.... Not transparent, but shocking non the less..... Wonder how many microwaves will be replaced this month.....

-ball-of-aluminum-foil-for-2-minutes-this-31989568.png
Microwaves .. or houses ...

Another Darwin Recipient!

As most here know I had a small problem with my new RCF 705ASll sub.

Now that I have looked inside I was surprised that there was no polly fill of any kind and the wires that go from the amp module to the sub look too small. (maybe 16 or 18 gauge)

Would you add poly?

Would you change the wire out to a larger size?

Remember there are new, and that is how they came from RCF.View attachment 34177View attachment 34178

The wires may seem small but there short and usually of good quality. I would twist them to reduce RF but I wouldn't replace them.

Reactions: prodjay