Weddings Wedding Time-Lines

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Some options are: Cutting the cake right after the wedding party entrance. Speeches/toasts can be before the prayer then dinner, or do them near the end of dinner. Another possibility, only introduce the B&G rather than the entire wedding party, then they do their first dance right away, but save the parents dances for later on (after cake cutting).

OK, if doing the dollar dance is it better to do it after the special dances and bouquet toss, or open up the dance floor for 20 minutes to break things up a bit? Whenever I do this, it turns out that the B&G agree not to even do the dollar dance since everyone is having fun dancing. Yet if the dollar dance is too late in the night some of the key relatives may have left early.

Other possible events: Newlywed shoe game, Anniversary dance, snowball dance, kissing game. End the night with a wedding party group hug and a good sing along song.

I have never in 22 years and over 700 weddings cut the cake right after intro's actually have never seen that done...Like I said it's very regional go with what flows best for you. I have always found the first dance right after the introductions is the best it is their moment but again opinions vary

I have never in 22 years and over 700 weddings cut the cake right after intro's actually have never seen that done...Like I said it's very regional go with what flows best for you. I have always found the first dance right after the introductions is the best it is their moment but again opinions vary

Never? It's unusual here too, but it happens once in a blue moon.

I'm interested in the different wedding time-lines/formats that you all of experienced/used/suggested. I've done a number of weddings as a DJ, played weddings in a band for a decade, and contracted my own bands many years prior to that, and I've really only experienced two types-- The standard cocktails/grand entrance/prayers and toasts/dinner/special dances/dance floor opening, or the one where the special dances are before dinner, immediately following the grand entrance. I've done some ethnic weddings, but it's been years since I've seen anything like a "dollar dance" or Oczepiny...

I have a client who is having a hard time grasping the wedding time-line thing, and she wants me to send her "a number of examples." Do any of you have anything different happening on a regular basis (or ever)??

Yes, lots of differences. I would not send someone a variety of timelines, instead I would simply resolve a few questions in conversation.

The planning of the event is their job - not mine as a DJ. If I am hired and being paid to plan the event then by all means I'd walk them through everything but, that can mean $8,000 instead of $800 so, I wouldn't be handing out my experience en gross like that as a courtesy to confused customers. (A customer hires me to DJ/Emcee and a client pays me to plan and assist design.)

Ask them some questions, and based on their answers point out what that will feel like. For example; a first dance and a dance set right after the introductions is a great party starter BUT - what has the couple been doing just before that? If they were on their feet for a one hour ceremony, a 30 minute receiving line, followed by limo ride and another hour on their feet for photographs - these people need a break! It is also important to avoid jerking them in and out of their seat - things should be connected in a way that enables them to flow from one activity to another without turning it into a spectator sport for everyone else.

A quality plan follows the needs of the people involved rather than delivering a schedule that people must follow.

what has the couple been doing just before that? If they were on their feet for a one hour ceremony, a 30 minute receiving line, followed by limo ride and another hour on their feet for photographs - these people need a break! It is also important to avoid jerking them in and out of their seat - things should be connected in a way that enables them to flow from one activity to another without turning it into a spectator sport for everyone else.

Very well put and a great thing to remember when working out event flow!