Weddings Wedding Music Statistics

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

cinepro

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 11, 2018
Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but the statistics site FiveThirtyEight did a poll and sample of music played at wedding back in 2016. While the results aren't anything surprising, the analysis is interesting because it looks at the patterns.

The Ultimate Wedding Playlist

Now, I don’t have any hard proof for this theory besides [expressively waves hand at that chart], but here’s what I think is causing the funky trimodal distribution above: Everyone at the wedding — the couple, their parents, their parents’ parents — gets a few songs from when they were in their late teens and early 20s. Let’s do some back-of-the-napkin math. According to the U.S. census, the median age at first marriage for the bride is about 27, so for a 2016 wedding, we can approximate that she was born around 1989. That means her parents would have gotten married in the late 1980s — let’s just say 1986. Mom would have been 22 or so back then based on the census data, which would place her birth around 1964. That would put the 2016 bride’s grandparents’ wedding around the early 1960s, when the median marriage age for women was 20.

So it isn’t so much that “‘Uptown Funk’ will be absent from weddings within 10 years,” but rather “‘Uptown Funk’ may be absent from weddings within 10 years, but it could make a hell of a comeback in 25 years when the 2016 couple’s offspring starts getting married.”

Reactions: Dan The Man
I would guess the theory is right .. you tend to identify with the music of your teens and early 20s.

I question Hey Ya as number 1, but Hey !

Except Uptown Funk is not going away...EVER. It will be played at most American weddings for all time until we are taken over by Aliens from Outer Space, or the Matrix Crashes and resets.

There are certain songs that have that Magic that creates the long term staying power to stay on the top 200 list forever...Uptown Funk is one of them. Kinda like Celebration by Kool and the Gang. It's been going strong for like 37 years now at weddings. Twist and Shout be the Beatles...another one that will be around forever. Journey's Don't Stop Believin' ...Yeah that ain't going any where for a very, very long time.

Except Uptown Funk is not going away...EVER. It will be played at most American weddings for all time until we are taken over by Aliens from Outer Space, or the Matrix Crashes and resets.

There are certain songs that have that Magic that creates the long term staying power to stay on the top 200 list forever...Uptown Funk is one of them. Kinda like Celebration by Kool and the Gang. It's been going strong for like 37 years now at weddings. Twist and Shout be the Beatles...another one that will be around forever. Journey's Don't Stop Believin' ...Yeah that ain't going any where for a very, very long time.
Journey went away for a long time then made a come back

Reactions: ittigger
Journey went away for a long time then made a come back

Yeah, I can see that. I don't remember playing it at all in my early days of doing weddings. It was in 2006 I think I got a request for "Faithfully" by Journey so I bought their CD, and then before I knew it, I had requests for Don't Stop Believing' and over the years it became more and more requested.