Video conferencing an event?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
My 10-27 bride has done missionary work and her dad is setting up a special surprise. We're planning to do either a facetime or skype call to Moldova (no clue where this is) and it's an 8 hour differential. I told him I think facetime would incur a charge but skype does not. We're not sure whether the other party has a laptop (skype) but he does have an iphone. Have any of you guys done this? I've got a couple of options. I can use my iphone X and put it out to a projector. I can also use my 2nd laptop and have the bride walk around behind my facade. Not sure how I'm going to route audio at this time. Any experts in conferencing here?

Assuming the other side has an internet connection, they're all similar. Facetime works over the internet as well (or cellular data .. not mobile minutes).. just needs an iPhone or iPad on each end .. no other devices as of now. Skype, WhatsApp and Viber work similar.

Reactions: ittigger
Thanks guys, I think you gave me some good ideas. I was originally thinking to do this over iphone but would rather use my laptop with an external camera. Still not sure what we're working with on the other end but this should be interesting. Incidentally, the same FOB called me today and said they wanted to give a feed to the bride's grandfather, who is too ill to attend. I dodged that bullet as a groomsman is going to use his cell phone during the ceremony.

Come to think of it, this is the 2nd event this year that needed to conference in someone. We had one in April where the bride's grandmother was in the hospital and expected to pass that evening. The FOB used facetime in that case. I was doing photog that evening and got a shot where you could see the phone with granny's face on it, along with the B&G in the background saying their vows. I'm starting to wonder if this type of thing isn't going to become more normal in the future. Perhaps it's something we all need to get more comfortable with.

Thanks guys, I think you gave me some good ideas. I was originally thinking to do this over iphone but would rather use my laptop with an external camera. Still not sure what we're working with on the other end but this should be interesting. Incidentally, the same FOB called me today and said they wanted to give a feed to the bride's grandfather, who is too ill to attend. I dodged that bullet as a groomsman is going to use his cell phone during the ceremony.

Come to think of it, this is the 2nd event this year that needed to conference in someone. We had one in April where the bride's grandmother was in the hospital and expected to pass that evening. The FOB used facetime in that case. I was doing photog that evening and got a shot where you could see the phone with granny's face on it, along with the B&G in the background saying their vows. I'm starting to wonder if this type of thing isn't going to become more normal in the future. Perhaps it's something we all need to get more comfortable with.
The "other" side is really the key. Bandwidth, types of device, their audio/video capability will help determine the best tools on this side.

If you have a mixer that has a USB input, I would recommend that over the headphone jack. And, see if you can test with the Maldovians a day or 2 before...just for peace of mind.

We're planning a test next Saturday (20th). There's an 8-hour differential.