today's music

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Not sure I agree with you entirely... I can remember going to the record/CD store and listening to music for hours at a time. Not all of it was good, but I always left with several purchases. Today I can listen to new music for hours without leaving the house, but I can go for days at a time without finding a single good track to buy (download). I do download some of the current hits, but only because I’m a DJ and feel like I must have them. However, not many are good enough that I listen to them for personal enjoyment. I used to make new playlists every couple of months with dozens of my latest favorites... Now... there are not enough songs to make a decent playlist every six months.[emoji1]

I will add... it does depend upon genre. Good dance music, rock, R&B, or Pop is really hard to find, but if you listen to Jazz, New Age, Country, Bluegrass, or Modern Swing, there’s good stuff to listen to. One of the points I make to prospective clients is that even though music is readily available to everyone, most people don’t have the time (or desire) to weed through all the cr@p to find the good stuff. That’s why you need a DJ with good musical taste.[emoji4]

I used to love going to the record store. And always bought something. They we the only way I could play music.

Today I don't feel the need to buy music for personal use. Spotify is perfect for that.

I Think it's more about the options today rather than the music

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
My dad truly thought the world was going crazy.
David Bowie with his makeup
A male band named Queen
Alice Cooper and his snakes
The Who breaking equipment just for fun

Long hair in general

The synthesizer wasn't a real instrument in his opinion.

If these guys were real musicians, they wouldn't need to do dress and act so weird.

My dad truly thought the world was going crazy.
David Bowie with his makeup
A male band named Queen
Alice Cooper and his snakes
The Who breaking equipment just for fun

Long hair in general

The synthesizer wasn't a real instrument in his opinion.

If these guys were real musicians, they wouldn't need to do dress and act so weird.
Your dad was wise beyond his years.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Wise is substantially more appropriately descriptive and absolutely less derisive.
Wise isn't generally as dismissive.

I,like the new, the old, the crappy, the good, the bad and the ugly!

The only music that I don’t prefer today is the country trying to be hip-hop with their wanna-be thug lyrics!

Man I am all about that post Malone and Khalid stuff! Though I can’t play most of it at my shows!

A lot of the underground stuff I just love ❤️

I don't mind new music (in general) though I really can't see much of anything being requested in 5-10 years, let alone 50 years from now. The 60s, 70s and 80s were special and not sure we'll see that widespread quality music again.

Personally, I think the 60's, 70's, and 80's are the best. I just think it has more to do with my age than anything else. Song writing and the record business has changed, but I'd say there's more opportunities to make real money in the business today than there was years ago, so it may give more opportunities for great songs to be discovered. Greatness is often not realized as it's happening.

I think if you ask most people, it's the music in their youth that was the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
but I'd say there's more opportunities to make real money in the business today than there was years ago, so it may give more opportunities for great songs to be discovered.

On the flip side, it also gives way for really cr*ppy music to be heard....:montongue:

I think if you ask most people, it's the music in their youth that was the best.

I agree, but it seems music today is too polished, too corporate, and too formulaic. Very few musicians and a lot of programmers. I also agree that more money can be made today, but it's more throw away music .. much like a lot of other consumer products.