Sweet 16s

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Yes, the formalities was the main thing I was asking about but thanks for sharing that playlist. It's tough for us old-timers to keep our pulse on what's moving the young'uns these days so I'll gladly take all the help I can get. I have meeting on another December gig tomorrow. If that one books, I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a pair of movers. I'm really tempted to wait on the Chauvet Intimidator 755s, although that really might be a bit too bright.
No such thing as too bright in the dmx world as u can dim them. But that brightness comes in handy in the summer at venues w windows. Better to have too much than not enough

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Yes, the formalities was the main thing I was asking about but thanks for sharing that playlist. It's tough for us old-timers to keep our pulse on what's moving the young'uns these days so I'll gladly take all the help I can get. I have meeting on another December gig tomorrow. If that one books, I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a pair of movers. I'm really tempted to wait on the Chauvet Intimidator 755s, although that really might be a bit too bright.
I would assume they would be dimable, that’s also like saying it’s too loud, or her boobs at too big

I would assume they would be dimable, that’s also like saying it’s too loud, or her boobs at too big
Umm, too bright you can dim...to loud you can turn down....too big? Can't fix that....assuming you would want it fixed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
The UV-canon lights are pretty much a fake. They project far more visible light than UV. What you get is a purple or blue tint - not really impressive UV reactance. Sure, there's a little - but, like they say about laundry detergent: "..shouldn't your bright whites actually be bright white?"

LEDs are not capable of producing significant UV. These are an even bigger fake because what you get is not UV - rather, just a purple color light which most people associate with the purple dye used in old school blacklight bulbs.

I have two Altman (UV-705) black lights that I'm looking to sell. Mine are configured to run on 110V-130v with a standard Edison plug.

Altman Blacklight Flood Light - 400 Watts (208-240V) UV-705-220

My wholesale cost was $1,325.00 each and I'd be willing to sell either of them for $700. (I rent to DJs around here for $75 /day)

The UV-705 in darkness can react with a surface 100 feet away and has an adjustable beam angle up to 60 degrees. Juts one is enough to fill a gymnasium, two is better because you can light up both directions and eliminate UV shadow.

I may also have a spare lamp (~$80) which I'll throw in if someone wants to buy both.

FYI: for a Blacklight "glow" show at a formal event you have to be prepared to pass out UV reactive novelties to compensate for all the black suits or formal dresses. Also, be prepared for some discomfort because a woman/girl with a knit dress and cotton undergarments is going to light up in every way sans the dress.

Last edited:
rick needs his party to be a success (especially with a high paying client) and unless he is working w a very religious client, the list provided can create an unsuccessful outcome with your everyday group of teens... and felt it was very important to point out what songs would actually work from it, and not let him think that it’s all good for his event.

The funny thing is a number of the songs on my playlist have no lyrics at all... therefore no issue at all with any religious groups.

My apologies to you! Now to this board, please excuse my snappy rude response. I was out of line!

I did a site survey with the client yesterday afternoon. This is a newly-refurbished Hilton Hotel. Both parents and the child were there. The mom has hired me for 3 other events in the past; 50th Anniversary, birthday and grad party. I've been around this kid since 3rd grade. The party will be 50 kids and maybe 6 adults. I threw out some of the events that Taso mentioned; shoe, tiara, etc. Most of them, the clients had no idea about. We talked about a big Grand Entrance, search lights (movers) and blacklighting. It felt an awful lot like a Mitzvah meeting. What I got out of it excited me. These folks are mid to upper tier folks and they had absolutely ZERO idea about a big production Sweet16. The girl mentioned about her friend's parties. Nothing but just some DJ playing music and no "Wow" moments. After I got home I received an email from the mom;

Caroline is so excited!! Thank you so much for making this all about her. Without going into too much detail, it's been a rough year for her and we want her to have the party of her dreams. She's a great kid!! She works really hard in school and she has really big goals set for herself. We want her to blow it out and have fun!!

Thanks for making that happen. So great to see you again!!

I'm going to hire an extra person to run the Photo Booth and let my son handle the music-playing duties. I'm going to float, play MC and make sure I get plenty of video footage. If this really is an un-tapped area then I plan to capitalize on it. This girl is going to have a slammin Sweet 16.

I just pitched an idea past mom. Wondering if you guys might have any input on how to improve it. I'm calling it the "I Know Caroline" game. Keep in mind, this is for 16 year olds.

I'd like to do a "I Know Caroline" game. I need you to buy 10, $5 Starbucks cards. There will be a sign-up table where kids can fill out a form with some kind of personal remembrance that only that person and Caroline would know. During the night, we'll stop and have Caroline come get a gift card. I'll read what they wrote and then if Caroline can guess who it was that wrote it, that young person gets a gift card.

Reactions: Ausumm
I just pitched an idea past mom. Wondering if you guys might have any input on how to improve it. I'm calling it the "I Know Caroline" game. Keep in mind, this is for 16 year olds.

Absolutely not - you need to do that in reverse, or just make it a live Caroline trivia game.

How horrible would it be if one of those kids wrote a heartfelt story that really means something to them - only to have Caroline not guess who it is because it never meant that much to her? In a room full of their peers that is totally insensitive.

You also don't need necessarily need 10 gift cards. With every contest you do you hand out tickets. Kids can win as many tickets as the games provide. You distribute the prizes based on a drawing. The more tickets someone wins the better their odds at winning in the drawing. The more tickets you distribute the less kids there are that feel excluded.

Last edited:
Absolutely not - you need to do that in reverse, or just make it a live Caroline trivia game.

How horrible would it be if one of those kids wrote a heartfelt story that really means something to them - only to have Caroline not guess who it is because it never meant that much to her? In a room full of their peers that is totally insensitive.

OK... I have to agree with this, as painful as that is, but one thing I need to know... WHO ARE YOU, and what did you do with Proformance???[emoji1]

The Proformance we all know and love (to hate), has NO clue about SENSITIVITY!!![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
NO GAMES AT SWEET 16's!!!!!! These kids in their mind feel as if they're turning 21... and DO NOT like corniness. I HAVE NEVER done a single game or participation activity in 14 yrs of Sweet 16's. Every time I hear about a dj that does those things from a perspective client, it's in the negative sense. This is not a mitzvah, where most kids are just entering middle school from elementary school.. a Sweet 16 the kids are either sophomores or juniors and behave a lot differently.

Also.. unless she's latin... Sweet 16's DO NOT do shoe changing or crowning ceremony's. That is a Latin tradition for a Quincenera that sometimes is done in a latin Sweet 16 if she didn't do a quincenera. Normal Sweet 16's only do an intro, father daughter dance, maybe a toast by mom and/or dad, and maybe a candle lighting ceremony and singing happy birthday. Some clients of mine have chosen NO formalities except for happy birthday, and the night is just dinner and music... hence why music is so important.

The "WOW" factor from Sweet 16's comes from amazing music and extra like photobooths, lighting, decor, effects like co2 or black light, snapchat filters, video screens, etc.

Wow! Shows you how old I am...
I thought it was a wonderful idea.

But now that I think about it, it could go either way.
But Caroline should be the one to decide whether to do it.
If you ARE going to do it, maybe change it to "how did you meet Caroline."
And I would be a bit hesitant to give Starbucks coffee to 16-year olds.
(I know it's a gift card, but I'm looking at it from their parent's point of view)

NO GAMES AT SWEET 16's!!!!!! These kids in their mind feel as if they're turning 21... and DO NOT like corniness. I HAVE NEVER done a single game or participation activity in 14 yrs of Sweet 16's. Every time I hear about a dj that does those things from a perspective client, it's in the negative sense. This is not a mitzvah, where most kids are just entering middle school from elementary school.. a Sweet 16 the kids are either sophomores or juniors and behave a lot differently.

Also.. unless she's latin... Sweet 16's DO NOT do shoe changing or crowning ceremony's. That is a Latin tradition for a Quincenera that sometimes is done in a latin Sweet 16 if she didn't do a quincenera. Normal Sweet 16's only do an intro, father daughter dance, maybe a toast by mom and/or dad, and maybe a candle lighting ceremony and singing happy birthday. Some clients of mine have chosen NO formalities except for happy birthday, and the night is just dinner and music... hence why music is so important.

The "WOW" factor from Sweet 16's comes from amazing music and extra like photobooths, lighting, decor, effects like co2 or black light, snapchat filters, video screens, etc.

Thanks for the info. By the way, even though I still don't know what it is, I'm mentioned snapchat filters. The birthday girl thought I was a genius!

Mitzvahs and sweet 16's are two different animals. You really have to be practical about it... they may still be teens but these girls are going out on friday nights to malls and movies unsupervised, they're going to house parties, they got older siblings and friends in college going to frat parties and clubs... and some of them even sneak in and go to them. The last thing they wanna do is spend 20 minutes playing a meaningless game. They'd rather be taking pics in the photobooth, dancing with the guy/girl they like, singing the words to their favorite song and taking selfies for snapchat.

PS. the snapchat filter is huge and not so hard to do. Here's a few that I've done... the checkered background just means its a transparent file.

upload_2017-10-19_14-4-48.pngupload_2017-10-19_14-5-11.pngupload_2017-10-19_14-5-23.pngupload_2017-10-19_14-5-30.pngupload_2017-10-19_14-5-37.pngupload_2017-10-19_14-6-0.png

How do you make it available to the kids for download?
If YOU are going to do this on behalf of the client, you first need a snapchat account. You login in to it from the website and submit a geofilter. it has to be a certain size and a transparent png file. You set the date, time, and set the location you want it to cover. It costs me between 5-12 dollars depending on the length of the event and the size of the venue typically. Kids then go to the event, take pictures on the snapchat app, and before posting the pic for others to see, they select filters that go over the picture taken. If you set everything up correctly, yours becomes an option for them to choose (along with others that happen to be active in that area). Here's what it looks like in use:
upload_2017-10-19_14-18-57.png