Sound board control through an I Pad?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
This may be a common occurence, but it's new to me.20171019_185859.jpg 20171019_220851.jpg 20171019_220851.jpg

Wifey and I went to a fundraiser concert at a local VFW hall for their new roof.

The artist was new country singer Sam Grow.

I noticed the sound guy sitting at the table next to me and he was doing all the sound work wirelessly from an I Pad.

Is this groundbreaking stuff or just the new norm?

I do that with my small Behringer X-Air XR12 mixer .. even has a WiFi router built in.

XR12_P0BI6_Left_L.png

Reactions: dunlopj
Hey Jim I merged the two threads I think they were pretty much identical. If I missed something let me know and I'll fix it up

It's becoming a growing norm thanks to the power and cost of digital mixers now. I personally would not go back to using an analog mixer. I use an X32 rack. I can control pretty much every function with a wired or wireless laptop (mac, windows, or Ubuntu), android, or ios. It is so much flexibility where you don't have to be tethered to your mixer and speakers. You can literally mix from anywhere using a small router. I also use a speaker management processor that can also be remotely controlled by using pretty much any type of device. I rarely touch the hardware controls because of this (less wear and tear), but it's nice to know I still have direct hardware control if I ever lose connection or have a router failure.

I'm actually pretty surprised there are not any DJ mixers that I know of that can also be controlled remotely with software (not including midi control). I know that Virtual DJ software can be controlled from an ipad, but not all it's functions can be. I would think being able to remotely control all mixer hardware functions (wired or wireless) using software would be very beneficial.

It's becoming a growing norm thanks to the power and cost of digital mixers now. I personally would not go back to using an analog mixer. I use an X32 rack. I can control pretty much every function with a wired or wireless laptop (mac, windows, or Ubuntu), android, or ios. It is so much flexibility where you don't have to be tethered to your mixer and speakers. You can literally mix from anywhere using a small router. I also use a speaker management processor that can also be remotely controlled by using pretty much any type of device. I rarely touch the hardware controls because of this (less wear and tear), but it's nice to know I still have direct hardware control if I ever lose connection or have a router failure.

I'm actually pretty surprised there are not any DJ mixers that I know of that can also be controlled remotely with software (not including midi control). I know that Virtual DJ software can be controlled from an ipad, but not all it's functions can be. I would think being able to remotely control all mixer hardware functions (wired or wireless) using software would be very beneficial.
There is ... https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/all-in-one-system/xdj-r1/black/overview/

using remotebox on the App Store

$900 ... Pioneer DJ XDJ-R1 DJ Controller with rekordbox

The real question, how can you control your music remotely?

I mostly play music files using a computer. I can remote desktop into the computer from any type of device and control the music files that way remotely. If the computer crashes, I can still play music files as an emergency using a usb stick plugged into the x32 rack with folders of prearranged songs.

A few of the bands I have seen are using iPad's for sound board controls. The big names are still using the big boards with the physical controls.

Physical controls are a lot easier and quicker to get to, but the iPad has flexibility .. ideally, you'd like both, but the mixers without the physical controls are substantially less for the same guts.

The guy's only complaint was that he has to constantly switch between tabs. Oh boo hoo...

Looks like he's using a QSC Touchmix. They have pretty nice features now available. That's another nice thing about having a digital mixer is a lot of the manufacturers now are adding more and more free features and updates with firmware upgrades. The one bad thing about the QSC mixers is they don't have digital recallable preamp gains so the preamp gains can't be 100% remotely controlled.

Also the remote software is evolving. There is a growing demand to have the software be more customizable where you can choose which faders/functions you want to have displayed depending on your needs and screen size.

While for the most part I prefer having actual knobs and faders in front of me, being able to tweak a room using an ipad is pretty marvelous. Also it's nice to not be totally tethered during a performance. However, like I said, nothing beats having every channel and every feature available in front of you all the time without having to scroll through menus....so a little of each is a nice balance for me. ;-)

The real question, how can you control your music remotely?
For casual events where it's mostly playlists, I use iTunes on the laptop and Itunes remote on an iPad. From the iPad I can search the library, change play order, start/stop songs, add and delete songs from the playlist (in to any play position) .. even control volume.

Reactions: ittigger
We have three digital boards and they all have this capability.
It's especially handy when checking monitors for the band.
(which can easily be done at the front of house board with a digital board)
I actually worked with a band at the Breast Cancer gig I did....
and they ran their own sound from an Ipad that was connected to the guitar players mic stand.