"prom" bar gig...how to pick what to play?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
Local bar hired me to a do a 'prom night' - a 'throw back' sorta thing since no 2018 prom folks can drink in a bar.

OK, so I've got lists of Top 10 year by year and have the iHeart radio 'prom song' lists from 72 to 2000.

Not sure how they chose the songs on the list, but there are, depending on the year of course, pop hits that would do well in a bar (or this bar, this crowd), and some more 'dance' song type songs.

i remember the big 'slow' song in my HS years was Beth by kiss. Was that just my school, all schools, I don't know or know how to know.

So do I just play what the bar will like...(hair bands is my guess, classic rock as well), some 80s as those folks are 'old' (er?) now. Or do I aim for somthing more 'prom like' with 'dance' music?

Now in the 80s and 90s I wasn't DJing, didn't dance or go to clubs..so it'd be sort of guessing game.

Take the 1988 list..lots of van halen, cheap trick, bon jovi, robert palmer, GnR, def leppard ..rock stuff. Many that are standards to this day (pour some sugar on me for example). Did they play any of this at a prom?

there is also billy ocean, michael jackson, george michael, rick astley, REM, DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince, samantha fox, suzanne vega...more pop/dance/early rap.

Thoughts? Ideas?

A lot depends on who they are targeting .. I would guess 30-60 year olds.

I might do the year thing early ... maybe every 5 years .. start in 70 and hit the top 2-3 songs of the previous 5 years and move on .. that should kill the first 1-1.5 hrs .. then do dance music from the various eras, sticking with the genres you think would work in that bar.

Many that are standards to this day (pour some sugar on me for example). Did they play any of this at a prom?

I wouldn't get hung up on "Prom" and whether those songs got played. Think of it as a throwback hits night, and it'll be much easier. One or two cheesy slow songs (like, K-Ci and Jojo - Crazy) and an eclectic mix of throwback music will nail it.

People are always more concerned with having a good time than whether you're super faithful to the theme. This is a playlist from a Throwback Thursday party I used to do: 8/25/16 - AlbatrossDC - Serato DJ Playlists | Serato.com

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
They've been doing bands on saturday nights, I hit them up a few months back to try DJ - it's my 'local' bar and many of the bands suck...did I say that out loud? LOL
Good way to get me/ my name out there - and I've never done a bar gig.

They'e tried karoke..shitty setup (on the pool table? REALLY?) and didn't see but 3 people sing all night (other than the dj/karaoke person)

Throwback..with lighting.. was my thought. I approached them and suggest 80s night, or hair band night, etc - they chose prom for whatever reason.

Considering treating it some like a wedding - cupid shuffle, etc - see if they'll dance, interract some.

Throwback..with lighting.. was my thought.

Mobile DJs have a tendency to over-produce a bar gig and bring a bunch of stuff. Whatever money they negotiated for this first show is probably the most they'll ever pay. So make sure you don't create so much work for yourself that you hate it if they continue with you.

Last edited:
I know you probably have volumes of music at your command, so why not encourage patrons to come up and ask for their favorite throw-back song. Eventually, you'll find out where the music will take you. Add songs you know were also popular around the time the requested song is played. If they don't request a song, then keep pouring out the hits. All it takes is for 2 or 3 requests to get you started in the right direction. After all, aren't we supposed to be able to "read the crowd"?

Last edited: