Opinions on website

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
im no camera snob...but my personal camera should not cost twice what a professional photographers costs... the iphone and note 8 shoot better than that model... maybe switch to one of them? lol

id recommend a canon 5d... it will make those shots look pretty to begin with...then spend some time in photoshop honing the skills... and you are golden

cc

Camera snob, gear snob....................snobs all around. ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, aren't those Sonys pretty highly rated? I actually had thought about picking up one of these to get us started into mirrorless.

Reactions: djcrazychris
Yeah, we ran into a Sony mirrorless person at a wedding we were shooting last year and she introduced us the world of mirrorless... we love them because they are light and compact, as well have a good array of lenses available. We have 3 A6000s and an A6500 for video (because it has the mic input)

Sony FTW regarding video. Much more appealing video quality than any of the Canon DSLRs, has amazing low light, and just has a creamy image when compared to the plastic look of skin tone found on the 5D. I can spot a Canon DSLR when shooting video immediately, and it's just not a good look IMO. For photos, it's amazing though, best skin tones still..

The one to get is the Sony A7Siii

Here is how to make your video stand out and look more professional.

0. Everything in Manual mode
1. Shoot 24fps, NOT 30!
2. Always shoot double frame rate for shutter, so 48.
3. Shoot in SLog 3 for much better dynamic range (grade using a LUT to bring Slog to Rec709). A lot of your shots are blown out in the background b/c your compensating for exposure, that won't happen on SLOG.
4. Don't use a lens that has a variable aperture.

5. Buy a Zhiyun Crane 2 to get nice floating shots.

Lastly, DO NOT use original music if you are selling video, which you are obviously are. Buy licensed music or use royalty free music.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris on this....but you're on a DJ Forum getting photos critiqued by DJ's!

Not that we don't know good photographs when we see them, but you should already be on a photography forum that has a private sub-forum where wedding photographers C&C. You'll get your ass kicked, but besides taking lots and lots of photos, it's the best way to learn. I wouldn't buy another single piece of gear before doing this (I'm referring to stills, not video)

Last edited:
I agree with Chris on this....but you're on a DJ Forum getting photos critiqued by DJ's!

Not that we don't know good photographs when we see them, but you should already be on a photography forum that has a private sub-forum where wedding photographers C&C. You'll get your ass kicked, but besides taking lots and lots of photos, it's the best way to learn. I wouldn't buy another single piece of gear before doing this (I'm referring to stills, not video)

I wasn't necessarily looking for photo critique, more website in general critique .

Yeah, we ran into a Sony mirrorless person at a wedding we were shooting last year and she introduced us the world of mirrorless... we love them because they are light and compact, as well have a good array of lenses available. We have 3 A6000s and an A6500 for video (because it has the mic input)
I just got my first mirrorless , the Pany G7, I got it for its 4k goodness, I mean, 4k at 100mbps for $500 is a great deal. Yes, for 4K , you would want the bitrate to be higher , but that 100mbps is great for downscaling for super duper crispy 1080p.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I wasn't necessarily looking for photo critique, more website in general critique .
I understand. It's just that when it comes to G.A.S., photographers are right up there with the best of them, and some new widget usually will not make you a better photographer.

I understand. It's just that when it comes to G.A.S., photographers are right up there with the best of them, and some new widget usually will not make you a better photographer.
Widgets help a lot for those of us that shoot on the fringes .. low light, high speed (I shoot sports). I upgrade bodies every 3-4 years or so and the differences are dramatic .. less so for lenses.

Widgets help a lot for those of us that shoot on the fringes .. low light, high speed (I shoot sports). I upgrade bodies every 3-4 years or so and the differences are dramatic .. less so for lenses.
Certainly, for the tough low light, fast shots, the newer stuff is a big help. Wedding photography? The difference between a "snapshot" and a great picture is seldom the equipment, perhaps with the exception of lighting.