My friend did a great job last night for this white affair.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
Last night I helped my friend DJ J J with an event he did in Jersey City, NJ. It was in a Church Hall that I never been in before. I've been there in that building for something else but never that hall. This hall is big. So my friend had to bring some fire power for that room. He brought 2 Mackie 1801 subs and 2 dual 15" powered tops. He bought a pair of EV speakers and had the JBL speakers put in them instead of what was in there when he bought them. The sound was awesome as I knew it would be because I heard the setup before.

The event was about a guy named Charlie Mays that was a political figure in Jersey City and a great track star. He died many years ago and his wife has an event in his honor to give scholarships to seniors going to college. It was a white affair this year. This year as you will see they used white chair covers. He did a great job with the music. This is his 12 year doing this event. He's the only one to do this event since it was formed.

It was a BYOB event. People brought in their own food and drinks. Not sure how many people attended the event but it was a large crowd. I took almost 80 pictures so I could get practice. I offered my services because he needed help with the load in and out since you have to carry the gear down some stairs and then up those stairs. So he needed my help with getting those subs in and out of the hall. He certainly kept thanking me for helping out. That was my job. He played the music the whole time and did a great job. 2 notes. My friend is older then me and still going. The other thing I just found out last night is he hasn't become a computer DJ because he doesn't have a software program to use. He said he would need someone to show him how to work a program. He still uses CD's. He said downloading all the CD's onto a HD wasn't the issue. The problem is him not having a DJ software program to use. I'm going to look to help him out with that.

The music was a great mixture of stuff. At one point he had to play a few Spanish songs as the person hosting the event told him to. He played 4 songs and he knew what would happen. They only danced to the first song and that was it. He was just doing as he was told. I took some pictures in the beginning to show off the room and how big it is. Lastly he did such a nice job that a few people came up requesting a card. You know when that happens you did the damn thing.

Attachments

• IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6548.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6549.JPG
    IMG_6549.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6550.JPG
    IMG_6550.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6554.JPG
    IMG_6554.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6555.JPG
    IMG_6555.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6594.JPG
    IMG_6594.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6621.JPG
    IMG_6621.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6625.JPG
    IMG_6625.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6610.JPG
    IMG_6610.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6585.JPG
    IMG_6585.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6582.JPG
    IMG_6582.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6565.JPG
    IMG_6565.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6566.JPG
    IMG_6566.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6604.JPG
    IMG_6604.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6605.JPG
    IMG_6605.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6607.JPG
    IMG_6607.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6609.JPG
    IMG_6609.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 41
What I should said in the title is how some of you would have short changed the client with your setup to get a response.

What I should said in the title is how some of you would have short changed the client with your setup to get a response.

I'm not sure you are allowed to ask any more questions until you've answered some previous ones ... but ..

I would have brought a smaller setup (my EVOX 8) and not short-changed anyone. I would have gotten my tops high enough to be effective (tweeter at 7' or so) instead of setting them on the stage (on top of the subs would even have been better). I wouldn't have brought double 15s (regardless of the internal drivers) for a system with subs .. not a good match for the setting.

Is he running a monitor pointed at his shins?
Yeshe was and that was his choice. Just like you have the right to bring the setup you feel would work for such a room.

I get it Steve that you don't like double 15's and that's your choice. I guarantee you that Evox system would have been a joke in that room.

Yeshe was and that was his choice. Just like you have the right to bring the setup you feel would work for such a room.

I think the point was that a monitor does no good if you can't hear it properly.

I get it Steve that you don't like double 15's and that's your choice. I guarantee you that Evox system would have been a joke in that room.

The Evox would have done well. You seem to think bigger is always better - and it's not.

On a separate note - I'm with Steve, I don't think you're allowed to ask anymore questions until you answer what has already been asked of you.

I think the point was that a monitor does no good if you can't hear it properly.

The Evox would have done well. You seem to think bigger is always better - and it's not.

On a separate note - I'm with Steve, I don't think you're allowed to ask anymore questions until you answer what has already been asked of you.
He used the DBX driverack he has in his case to control the sound.

It's NOT the size of the room .. it's the size of the audience .. and I will guarantee that an EVOX system will handle 50 people just fine and sound a lot better than the double 15s (though his subs would have been better - though probably not really pushed for 50 people).

We've covered this many times, but for Mix and any visitors, once you have subs, you really want to remove those lowest frequencies from the tops (unless you are really struggling for bass), otherwise you have 2 different drivers reproducing the same range, each with different parameters .. and that can, and usually does, cause many audio issues.

Once you do that .. let's say hi-passing the tops at 100-120Hz .. there is NO, NONE, NADA benefit to using a 15" in a top .. and you will get better mids out of a smaller driver (assuming a similar quality driver). 10s seem to be the ideal compromise size, though 12s have an advantage that they can be used stand-alone in more situations. 8s probably work best with 12" or 15" subs where you can hi-pass them a little higher (around 150Hz).

It's NOT the size of the room .. it's the size of the audience .. and I will guarantee that an EVOX system will handle 50 people just fine and sound a lot better than the double 15s (though his subs would have been better - though probably not really pushed for 50 people).
You said 50 people. Try at least 250. The Evox is a great sounding speaker. My question is would it be good enough for 250 people or more?

You said 50 people. Try at least 250. The Evox is a great sounding speaker. My question is would it be good enough for 250 people or more?
Yes they work for 250, although that would be at the upper end. Your dance floor there was 50 though, and almost any system will handle that.

Yes they work for 250, although that would be at the upper end. Your dance floor there was 50 though, and almost any system will handle that.
There were plenty of times more than 50 people were out on the dance floor. I say it's about having people around the room enjoy the music as well because some people don't dance. So they need to enjoy the music as well and not have to strain to hear what's being played.

There were plenty of times more than 50 people were out on the dance floor. I say it's about having people around the room enjoy the music as well because some people don't dance. So they need to enjoy the music as well and not have to strain to hear what's being played.
They would enjoy it better with smaller tops than double 15s !! Double 15s are tops you use outside without a sub. Inside, there are FAR better sounding options .. especially WITH a sub.