Just pulled an 18 hour day yesterday - 2 events

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
Well Almost. ...I left my house at 8:30 a.m. Got home at 1:50 a.m. last night. So more like 17.5 hours, I have not had a day like that in a long time. Worked a 50th anniversary for a Elementary school. The event was originally suppose to be outside, and I was going to supply a mic and stand for a community politician, and a few other prominent people to make quick speeches.

However, the event was moved inside due to the cooler weather. ...It could have been outside, but it was about 17 to 20 degrees too chilly. I ended up being the DJ for an obstacle course in the gym for the kids I just played a lot of kid friendly music. Had all the young kids singing along to "Let it GO" at one point. Not much dancing occurred as the kids were too bust with the obstacle course. They had everyone go into the cafeteria for the speeches, and used the school sound system in there for the presentation, and the raffle towards the end of the event.

One of my extension cords to one of my speakers died on this gig. It was a black mono price 10 foot cord I got of off Ebay when I first went powered speakers about 5+ years ago. Threw that in the trash!

2nd Gig Was a wedding in D.C. I had to supply 4 mics for the ceremony. 2 different color schemes with LED Up Lights (I brought 21 lights in total). ...Wedding Planner told me I am the first DJ to offer having the LED Up Lights beat to the music with all the weddings she has done. Good Crowd that wanted to keep dancing, but dinner went about 25 minutes longer than expected so they only got about 1 hour 35 minutes of dancing. I had a lot of people shaking my hand telling me I did a great job tonight. ...I also received a $100 tip...I guess I'm eating Steak at some point this week :) ...

Oh, I also had a 2 foot long IEC power cable to one of my moving head wash lights die as well. 2 cords in one gig! So I threw that one in the trash! ...I also had mic batteries die on me in my Shure PGX mic. That mic just eats batteries up ...Had to replace them...Luckily I had extra AA batteries on me! It was a strange day in that aspect!

This was a long day. The wedding felt rushed for load in even though I was on site 2 hours 19 minutes before start time. . I had a delivery truck driver in a box truck for the building next door ask me to move my car. Then a parking valet guy wanted me to move my car again...I was getting very irritated with it as I was under a time crunch to get set up inside. I also don't know why I walked up 2 flights of stairs to put 3 up lights on the 3rd floor just for cocktail hour. ...I realized that was a waste of my time and energy. Very few guests walked up 2 flights of stairs to hang out up there. ...It was just open during cocktail hour. ...I just thought I should have some up light coverage up there, but if I am in that situation again, NO way I am putting up lights on the 3rd floor for only cocktail hour. Nobody asked me to put lights up there, just for some reason I thought there should be some lights up there. ...Cocktail hour was on the 1st floor, and upstairs.

Today, I hustled. Between events, I did not have enough time to stop off somewhere and get lunch. I had to keep driving because GPS was telling me traffic was thick today. And it was right. I had to take an alternate route into D.C. from my first gig. I had printed up directions, but that was completely pointless today.

All in all, it was a solid day. Worked hard. Pulled off 2 gigs with no help. I originally was going to put another DJ on the first gig today, but decided not to, and glad I did. Earned a long day's pay today!

...It looks like It's about time to order new extension cords and replace most of the ones I have! All my extension cords are all 5 years or older at this point. That's my next expenditure. New extension cords :D

I need to load out back into storage today, but my body is so not in the mood for that. I really just want to eat pizza and watch Football today...It's feeling like that kinda day for me.

Well Almost. ...I left my house at 8:30 a.m. Got home at 1:50 a.m. last night. So more like 17.5 hours, I have not had a day like that in a long time. Worked a 50th anniversary for a Elementary school. The event was originally suppose to be outside, and I was going to supply a mic and stand for a community politician, and a few other prominent people to make quick speeches.

However, the event was moved inside due to the cooler weather. ...It could have been outside, but it was about 17 to 20 degrees too chilly. I ended up being the DJ for an obstacle course in the gym for the kids I just played a lot of kid friendly music. Had all the young kids singing along to "Let it GO" at one point. Not much dancing occurred as the kids were too bust with the obstacle course. They had everyone go into the cafeteria for the speeches, and used the school sound system in there for the presentation, and the raffle towards the end of the event.

One of my extension cords to one of my speakers died on this gig. It was a black mono price 10 foot cord I got of off Ebay when I first went powered speakers about 5+ years ago. Threw that in the trash!

2nd Gig Was a wedding in D.C. I had to supply 4 mics for the ceremony. 2 different color schemes with LED Up Lights (I brought 21 lights in total). ...Wedding Planner told me I am the first DJ to offer having the LED Up Lights beat to the music with all the weddings she has done. Good Crowd that wanted to keep dancing, but dinner went about 25 minutes longer than expected so they only got about 1 hour 35 minutes of dancing. I had a lot of people shaking my hand telling me I did a great job tonight. ...I also received a $100 tip...I guess I'm eating Steak at some point this week :) ...

Oh, I also had a 2 foot long IEC power cable to one of my moving head wash lights die as well. 2 cords in one gig! So I threw that one in the trash! ...I also had mic batteries die on me in my Shure PGX mic. That mic just eats batteries up ...Had to replace them...Luckily I had extra AA batteries on me! It was a strange day in that aspect!

This was a long day. The wedding felt rushed for load in even though I was on site 2 hours 19 minutes before start time. . I had a delivery truck driver in a box truck for the building next door ask me to move my car. Then a parking valet guy wanted me to move my car again...I was getting very irritated with it as I was under a time crunch to get set up inside. I also don't know why I walked up 2 flights of stairs to put 3 up lights on the 3rd floor just for cocktail hour. ...I realized that was a waste of my time and energy. Very few guests walked up 2 flights of stairs to hang out up there. ...It was just open during cocktail hour. ...I just thought I should have some up light coverage up there, but if I am in that situation again, NO way I am putting up lights on the 3rd floor for only cocktail hour. Nobody asked me to put lights up there, just for some reason I thought there should be some lights up there. ...Cocktail hour was on the 1st floor, and upstairs.

Today, I hustled. Between events, I did not have enough time to stop off somewhere and get lunch. I had to keep driving because GPS was telling me traffic was thick today. And it was right. I had to take an alternate route into D.C. from my first gig. I had printed up directions, but that was completely pointless today.

All in all, it was a solid day. Worked hard. Pulled off 2 gigs with no help. I originally was going to put another DJ on the first gig today, but decided not to, and glad I did. Earned a long day's pay today!

...It looks like It's about time to order new extension cords and replace most of the ones I have! All my extension cords are all 5 years or older at this point. That's my next expenditure. New extension cords :D

I need to load out back into storage today, but my body is so not in the mood for that. I really just want to eat pizza and watch Football today...It's feeling like that kinda day for me.
Do you "coil" your cords or fold them up accordion style? Folding is a sure way to break internal connectors.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I did a gig this summer and had to throw away a cord as it kept cutting in and out. Things happen sometimes. What type of batteries are you using that the mic is burning them out so quickly? I use either Duracell or Energizer batteries only. They last a whole event and when the event is over and on to the next event I change the batteries every time. Also I don't keep the mic on the whole time of the event. When not being used I turn it off.

Do you "coil" your cords or fold them up accordion style? Folding is a sure way to break internal connectors.

My 10 foot mono price cords I always kept in a circle. The much longer orange and green extension cords that I have I wrap around my arm then tie in the middle with the cord itself...Yeah, not the best, but that has always been the easiest, quickest way for loading out. None of those cords have failed on me either. All were purchased at Wal Mart years ago. I only use them at outdoor events, or to run to the power outlet. Fortunately, all of the venues this yearexcept the outdoor tent wedding I did on 9/29, I have not even needed extension cord runs. Been fortunate that my table was right near the power outlet at 95% of gigs this year.

...I still always bring six 25 foot orange extension cords, and a 40 foot green extension cord with me to every gig. Just keep that stuff in my bag. Only down side is that I have a 50 lbs cords and cables bag.

The cords I use for my speakers, or if I need a small run to the power outlet are all black. I have 10 foot cords, and some 20 foot ones.

I am going to order new cords this week for that. Considering trying to find especially long IEC Cables that are like 15 to 20 feet so I don't need extension cords to the speakers. I have a couple of 8 foot IEC Cords for lights when I need them.

Actually Just looked up a 15 ft. Not bad price for it!
15 Ft Power Cord Cable Standard Wire IEC/Kettle Female 3-Contact AC Male US New | eBay - (https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Ft-Power-Cord-Cable-Standard-Wire-IEC-Kettle-Female-3-Contact-AC-Male-US-New/172815668783?hash=item283c9dd62f:g:e3AAAOSwoJZXRex4:rk:2:pf:0)

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I did a gig this summer and had to throw away a cord as it kept cutting in and out. Things happen sometimes. What type of batteries are you using that the mic is burning them out so quickly? I use either Duracell or Energizer batteries only. They last a whole event and when the event is over and on to the next event I change the batteries every time. Also I don't keep the mic on the whole time of the event. When not being used I turn it off.

It does not matter the brand. I have tried them all. Been recently using Rayovac PRO level batteries. Not really much difference in longevity from Energizer or Duracell though.

I think long speeches really eat the batteries up at weddings. My Shure BLX mic seems to get a little more life out of the batteries compared to my PGX, but the BLX mic has some issues. I don't even use it any more, and just keep it as a back up to my 2 GTD mics. ...I bring a lot of mics with me to gigs now. Back ups to back ups in case they are needed or I do a ceremony where a rediculous amount of handhelds are needed for some reason.

It does not matter the brand. I have tried them all. Been recently using Rayovac PRO level batteries. Not really much difference in longevity from Energizer or Duracell though.

I think long speeches really eat the batteries up at weddings. My Shure BLX mic seems to get a little more life out of the batteries compared to my PGX, but the BLX mic has some issues. I don't even use it any more, and just keep it as a back up to my 2 GTD mics. ...I bring a lot of mics with me to gigs now. Back ups to back ups in case they are needed or I do a ceremony where a rediculous amount of handhelds are needed for some reason.
Do you keep the mics on continuously? I don't see people giving long speeches running the batteries down. Check for something else. That may be the issue.

Jus went directly to Monoprice.com

I'm thinking these should work well! Monoprice Power Cord - NEMA 5-15P to IEC 60320 C13, 18AWG, 10A, 125V, 3-Prong, Black, 6ft - Monoprice.com - (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5279)

$3.82 for a 15 ft one in 18 guage,
or the 14 gauge ones are on sale $4.51 each for a 15 ft in 14 gauage. ...I'm thinking the OEM ones are 18 gauge? ...They don't look so thick that they would be 14 guage.
18ga would be a bit small for amps or powered speakers .. probably OK for an LED fixture. I'd stay with 14 ga or maybe 16ga.

So I just did a inventory of what is in my Power Cables, and Miscellaneous Audio Cables Bag. ...I had taken 2 of the orange 25 ft extension cords out to cut the weight down a few weeks ago. Still have 4 orange 25 ft cords, and a 40 ft, green cord, AND 2 20 foot black cords. Together I can run 180 feet of extension cord if I absolutely had to at a gig! ...I feel like I should cut this down even more, but I always seem to have that 1 gig every year where I need to run a lot of extension cord, and would hate to forget extension cords for that...Better off leaving them in there all the time?

Also, notice the Banana Plug! Left over from my amplifier days...It must have been an extra back up cable I bought probably in 2012. It's still in new condition. Probably never used!

I also forgot about my two old Numark CD Mix 1, and CD MIX 2 Power cables. I have not used those units in at least 3 years...not sure why I had the power cables to those in there all this time, LOL. Took those out. That zip lock bag has all sorts of adapters, and many RCA cables that I NEVER use. Just compiled all these weird adapter cords over the years in case I never need them to plug into a house system of sorts. Not sure why I carry it around still. I don't think I have opened the bag to grab a special adapter in at least 4 years. 'mm thinking I can take that out, but worry I will forget about it, and will be at a gig where I need a cable that is inside of that bag!

This bag doesn't have my 6 standard XLR speaker cables that I keep in another bag. BUT, I do have left over from my amp days, 2 50 foot American made 1/4 inch speaker cables. Like 18 years old, and still work PERFECT. I also have a XLR 50 foot cord I keep in this bag in case I ever need to do a long speaker run

Extension Cord and Audio Cables Bag.jpgBannana Plug.jpg

Do I bring "too much" in terms of cords with me?

The Orange and Green Cordspower extension cords rarely get used these days. ...I roll them like that because that is the quickest way when tearing down, and loading out. Been rolling the longer cords that way for years, and years.

...The ones that failed were mono price cables...The black ones rolled into a circle.

Of course, they don't sell black cables at the store...at least not in the lengths I want. So I go to mono price.

The Orange and Green Cordspower extension cords rarely get used these days. ...I roll them like that because that is the quickest way when tearing down, and loading out. Been rolling the longer cords that way for years, and years.

...The ones that failed were mono price cables...The black ones rolled into a circle.

Of course, they don't sell black cables at the store...at least not in the lengths I want. So I go to mono price.
They are pretty easy to make .. no soldering. The plugs/receptacles are available at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace in multiple quality levels. 14ga SJOOW is available in bulk for less than 50 cents per foot .. 12ga SOOW for about 80 cents per foot.

SOOW or SJOOW cable has a rubber exterior and coils SOOO much easier than plastic jackets.

Do you keep the mics on continuously? I don't see people giving long speeches running the batteries down. Check for something else. That may be the issue.

Nope, I always turn off. Now during a ceremony, often, the officiant turns the mic into standby mode after taking it back from a person giving the reading. So it's in stand by until I get it back.

I seem to get like 3 events out of the Shure PGX. Sometimes 4 before the batteries die. The BLX is better on power, but That mic has become defective somehow. I can't explain it. Unexplainable times where it's just not sending any signal at all to the receiver. Other times it seems to work fantastic. So I just don't use it any more.

My GTD mics last much longer on the same set of batteries compared to the Shure. Those mics just don't sound as good, or pick speaker voice up as well. Need to be closer to the mouth when using.

Nope, I always turn off. Now during a ceremony, often, the officiant turns the mic into standby mode after taking it back from a person giving the reading. So it's in stand by until I get it back.

I seem to get like 3 events out of the Shure PGX. Sometimes 4 before the batteries die. The BLX is better on power, but That mic has become defective somehow. I can't explain it. Unexplainable times where it's just not sending any signal at all to the receiver. Other times it seems to work fantastic. So I just don't use it any more.

My GTD mics last much longer on the same set of batteries compared to the Shure. Those mics just don't sound as good, or pick speaker voice up as well. Need to be closer to the mouth when using.
I see your issue now. You wait till 3 or 4 events to change the batteries. I always use fresh batteries at every event. I never use the same batteries twice in my mics. That's my suggestion. I guess you're trying to save money on batteries. You can go to Home Depot and get 36 AA batteries for less than $20.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I see your issue now. You wait till 3 or 4 events to change the batteries. I always use fresh batteries at every event. I never use the same batteries twice in my mics. That's my suggestion. I guess you're trying to save money on batteries. You can go to Home Depot and get 36 AA batteries for less than $20.

Changing batteries every single event can be a daunting task. Especially when you are working every week sometimes 2+ events. It's tough to remember to do that. That is also a bit ridiculous. You should not have to change out batteries after every time a microphone is used. I have tried to remember to do that every 3 events or so, but in all honesty this mic get's less than a few hours use between 3 events.

This is why I think manufacturers should make more mics with rechargeable batteries in them, and charging docks. That is what I love about VocoPro mics. Rechargeable, and keep charged at the events when not in used.. ...Only downside to Voco Pro is they are not good for speeches...Fine for karaoke, but not speeches. I wish Shure created a rechargeable mic line up

Changing batteries every single event can be a daunting task. Especially when you are working every week sometimes 2+ events. It's tough to remember to do that. That is also a bit ridiculous. You should not have to change out batteries after every time a microphone is used. I have tried to remember to do that every 3 events or so, but in all honesty this mic get's less than a few hours use between 3 events.

This is why I think manufacturers should make more mics with rechargeable batteries in them, and charging docks. That is what I love about VocoPro mics. Rechargeable, and keep charged at the events when not in used.. ...Only downside to Voco Pro is they are not good for speeches...Fine for karaoke, but not speeches. I wish Shure created a rechargeable mic line up
Actually, you should change out batteries after EVERY event. If you do it often, then invest in quality rechargeables.

You should change batteries before every event so you don't run into having a mic go dead in the middle of someone using it and you have to change batteries so they can keep using it.

I was told when I bought the mics I use to stay away from using rechargeable batteries. Just stop looking at what you're doing as you're saving money. I'm pretty sure you're making enough money on these gigs that you can afford to buy enough batteries that you can charge them every time you're to do an event. I 've had it happen in the middle of someone using a mic and it going down because the battery went dead. Very embarrassing.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
You should change batteries before every event so you don't run into having a mic go dead in the middle of someone using it and you have to change batteries so they can keep using it.

I was told when I bought the mics I use to stay away from using rechargeable batteries. Just stop looking at what you're doing as you're saving money. I'm pretty sure you're making enough money on these gigs that you can afford to buy enough batteries that you can charge them every time you're to do an event. I 've had it happen in the middle of someone using a mic and it going down because the battery went dead. Very embarrassing.

It's not just the battery going dead that's at issue. As a battery discharges, the amperage lowers and will cut down on the power the transmitter operates at. You'll start seeing more drop-outs or squelch as the batteries get weaker. As for rechargeables, Eneloops have a bit higher milli-amp rating than cheaper rechargeables. In case you're interested, photogs have the same issues with their speedlights (flashes). As the battery gets weaker the recharge cycle gets longer and it results in missed shots from the flash not going off consistently.