I won the bid.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
One corporate gig we got, which was pretty big for us. The guy said they got 10 bids, and cut it down to 3 and we got the job. I asked him what was the main reason they chose us.
Price?
Presentation?
Confidence?
Reputation?

He said it was because we took American express lol
Don't leave home without it!

I don't know it has been ignored, I think he chose not to answer and even stated that people here would question him because they don't understand who he is working for or his reasoning behind the rate. Honestly, if he is getting paid, it is better then the places he has been to with a Bluetooth speaker and Pandora playing in the background. If he feels it is a justified price that coincides with his beliefs for the group he is working for, good on him. If he wishes to share the price he is charging, he will. If he does, don't come down on him for working for an organization he believes in.

We DJ'd an candlelight walk for suicide prevention and awareness weekend before last. Had a paying gig in the morning and did the candlelight walk for free. 3 hours of our time, had music during registration then opening ceremonies then music during and after the walk and closed with an open mic. Several kids I have been around for many years spoke about either their desires or attempts at suicide or their loss of friends. There were counselors on site that were available to anyone that needed them. Not sure the number of people, different news organizations reported from 150 -320 people, but a pretty good showing for the first annual walk.

Those that have been here long enough know both the group he is working for - and the reason behind the rate. For those that don't know, you could easily figure it out via previous threads and posts.

While it is admirable to support a group that is helping others, this does not in any way help him achieve his spoken goals of better and/or more success.

Last edited:
Wrong again target breath. LOL. It's not that I want to show off those subs. It's using what is needed to get the job done right regardless of what the pay is.
Aha! So I was right $250 right? If you don't give another amount I'll assume that's your fee. I probably wouldn't use subs at all in a gymn. Sub Bass frequencies just add more echo in rooms with poor acoustics.

Aha! So I was right $250 right? If you don't give another amount I'll assume that's your fee. I probably wouldn't use subs at all in a gymn. Sub Bass frequencies just add more echo in rooms with poor acoustics.
That's where it's a good idea to use a monitor so you can hear what you're doing mixing the music.

That's where it's a good idea to use a monitor so you can hear what you're doing mixing the music.

Using a monitor means nothing if it doesn't sound good to the audience.

Last edited:
The monitor will only allow you to hear "WHAT" is playing ... NOT how it sounds to the audience.

The monitor will only allow you to hear "WHAT" is playing ... NOT how it sounds to the audience.
That's where it's my job and this being my 30th year in the business to know what to do to make it sound right.

That's where it's my job and this being my 30th year in the business to know what to do to make it sound right.

If a bunch of audio professionals that are much more experienced are telling you that it won't sound good, but you say you're going to bring and use them anyways, what does that tell you?

I've said this to others... it doesn't matter how many years you've been in the business. You could have been in the business for 30yrs but that doesn't mean you've been doing it right. Clearly something went wrong somewhere as your phone isn't blowing up, and you could actually make more as a roadie for me doing less, carrying lighter things, and having no financial investment necessary. The only reason you were doing it for 30yrs is because you had another source of income, as djing clearly never provided enough on its own to allow it to be your only source of income.

I don't disagree, but you seem to be stuck on "it must be through the roof - to sound good" .. and that's not always true. There are many instances where LESS is MORE.

This appears to be one of those situations where a nice compact, easy to carry system, like a Bose L1 or the RCF EVOX would be perfect, for the audience and the back.

I've said this to others... it doesn't matter how many years you've been in the business. You could have been in the business for 30yrs but that doesn't mean you've been doing it right. Clearly something went wrong somewhere as your phone isn't blowing up, and you could actually make more as a roadie for me doing less, carrying lighter things, and having no financial investment necessary. The only reason you were doing it for 30yrs is because you had another source of income, as djing clearly never provided enough on its own to allow it to be your only source of income.
You are right to a degree. I had a great job with great benefits. So it would have been tough to walk away from that job. I got a pension when I retired from that job 4 years ago. My issue was me not advancing the business when I got back into it. I was just happy to be alive and back doing what I love to do.

Trust me I'm a miracle all the drugs I did for 25 years. All I can say to that is God wasn't ready to call me home at that time.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Mix, I don't think I would be boasting about 30 years & still doing free events all the time!?
I don't charge as much as some in the area but, I try to charge more each year & show clients my worth.
My God Mix, I do four to five one hour events each year for $150.00