I won the bid.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I had to bid for a job with an activities committee on September 2nd. 3 DJs was supposed to bid for the job. There were 2 of us there. Me and another DJ. We both gave the same bid which was something else. I just got off the phone with the committee and they picked me to be the DJ and my partner will do the taping of the speakers.

This is my first time working for this committee and I've never been to the place where the event is going to be. So to be on the safe side I'm bringing the 801p subs. That's great news and that helped pick my spirits up. The dance is only 3 hours long. A piece of cake.

All I did was pray to God and if it was meant to be it was mine. Now I just got to do a really good job.

I found out that the room I'll be playing in is the size of a basketball court. So I have to use the subs for it to sound right. The tops won't be good enough.

Mix, as Shawn said, if you bid on this, wouldn't you have visited or thoroughly investigated the facility BEFORE bidding? It all impacts the effort and therefore the costs. I can't believe the facility is more than an hour away from you, so $20 worth of gas or less, or an hour "on the Google", wouldn't have you guessing if you needed subs.

And a room that's a basketball court in size, probably needs a pair or 2 of delay speakers spread out to cover those sitting farther away, so I hope you are factoring that in. And in a speaking engagement, subs don't help (in fact they can cause issues), so the need would only be for intermission music, and only if there is significant dancing. Speaking engagements are about clarity and consistency.

I was also thinking, depending on the number of people, if it is an actual basketball court, you may need something to help absorb the reverb...I know bodies will help, but usually gyms are very barren walls and everything echos.

It looks like we will be the DJ at Project Graduation in our town (have had another high school ask us also, but had already tentatively committed to our local school, waiting on the signed contract.) Not sure if they do these in other areas, but the community donates things the kids can use in college or in general (mini-fridges, laptops, money, gift cards, etc.) and after graduation the students can come to Project Graduation and stay there for the duration of the night like a lock in. They have inflatable tug of war games, bounce houses, soccer with the large blow up balls people wear, DJ for dancing, Karaoke, etc. Goes until the next morning to keep the kids off the streets and out of trouble. Once we find out where we will be playing, I was going to inquire about portable baffles or how to handle the acoustics in a gym, if that is where they put us. Maybe Mix could benefit from the info as well, if it is a gym he will be using.....

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
Mix, as Shawn said, if you bid on this, wouldn't you have visited or thoroughly investigated the facility BEFORE bidding? It all impacts the effort and therefore the costs. I can't believe the facility is more than an hour away from you, so $20 worth of gas or less, or an hour "on the Google", wouldn't have you guessing if you needed subs.

And a room that's a basketball court in size, probably needs a pair or 2 of delay speakers spread out to cover those sitting farther away, so I hope you are factoring that in. And in a speaking engagement, subs don't help (in fact they can cause issues), so the need would only be for intermission music, and only if there is significant dancing. Speaking engagements are about clarity and consistency.
I know the place. I was there once for a speaker jam and dance that committee had. I wasn't doing it. The speaker portion will be from 5-8pm on the first floor. The dance will be on the second floor from 8-11pm. So you must use subs in the room upstairs because of the size of the room. Only issue is no elevator because it was a factory converted into a place called Cross Roads.

I will be using the 2 801p subs with the tops. So the sound will be tight to the right. I'm not going to short change them and use just one sub.

I know the place. I was there once for a speaker jam and dance that committee had. I wasn't doing it. The speaker portion will be from 5-8pm on the first floor. The dance will be on the second floor from 8-11pm. So you must use subs in the room upstairs because of the size of the room. Only issue is no elevator because it was a factory converted into a place called Cross Roads.

I will be using the 2 801p subs with the tops. So the sound will be tight to the right. I'm not going to short change them and use just one sub.
You said in the first post ".. and I've never been to the place where the event is going to be.", but if it's long (like a basketball court), you'll still need the delay speakers .. otherwise you have to turn the volume up to reach the back .. and that overwhelms the people in front. Remember, it' primarily a speaking event .. dance is secondary.

You said in the first post ".. and I've never been to the place where the event is going to be.", but if it's long (like a basketball court), you'll still need the delay speakers .. otherwise you have to turn the volume up to reach the back .. and that overwhelms the people in front. Remember, it' primarily a speaking event .. dance is secondary.
I thought I had never been there. I was there once and I know the DJ who was doing the event. I helped him the load in getting stuff upstairs. He's a great guy as well as a great DJ.

DO NOT use the subs for the people speaking you will cause more problems than you solve. Turn them off until the music starts

EDIT:

I just noticed Steve gave the same advice heed it

DO NOT use the subs for the people speaking you will cause more problems than you solve. Turn them off until the music starts

If I understood correctly, the speaking is downstairs and the dancing with the subs is upstairs after the speakers are done....Assuming he would be setup in both locations and can go from one setup to the other while his tape recording partner can, theoretically, break down the first setup after Mix moves upstairs with the party goers.

If I understood correctly, the speaking is downstairs and the dancing with the subs is upstairs after the speakers are done....Assuming he would be setup in both locations and can go from one setup to the other while his tape recording partner can, theoretically, break down the first setup after Mix moves upstairs with the party goers.
There will no music being played until the speaker jam is over. Only time music will be played before then is at the time of setup to make the adjustments need to the system.

The mistake has been made before to have a DJ playing in another area while the speakers are taking. The problem with that is a lot of people will leave the room with the speakers to go and dance to the music the DJ is playing.

There will no music being played until the speaker jam is over. Only time music will be played before then is at the time of setup to make the adjustments need to the system.

The mistake has been made before to have a DJ playing in another area while the speakers are taking. The problem with that is a lot of people will leave the room with the speakers to go and dance to the music the DJ is playing.
SO if the music is incidental to the speaking, it shouldn't be an issue to JUST bring tops. Plan on a 2nd/3rd set of tops spread out around and deep into the room. Your DSR tops have enough bass for limited dancing. It's the other speakers that will make the bigger difference.

SO if the music is incidental to the speaking, it shouldn't be an issue to JUST bring tops. Plan on a 2nd/3rd set of tops spread out around and deep into the room. Your DSR tops have enough bass for limited dancing. It's the other speakers that will make the bigger difference.
No Steve there will plenty of dancing from the crowd with me playing the right music for that crowd. In the room upstairs you can't get away with just tops. You must use at least one sub in that room. The reason I'm using 2 subs instead of just one is because I want to leave them with the idea that time they need a DJ to look to call me to see if I'm available. That way I'm talking about not having to go through the bidding process again unless it's in their policy that they must do it that way.

Simply put I want them to say we got to use that DJ again and don't look any further.

Reactions: scgstuff