I just got a phone call that was very funny to me.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
Guy calls me up that has an annual fund raiser in Branch Brook Park. It's going to be August 27th. He was looking for me to see about helping out my ex partner. He doesn't like the gear he has to do the event. He was using just a pair of Mackie Thumps and no sub. So he wanted to talk to me about helping my ex partner with a better setup. He thought we were cool like that and we're not.

I was there last year and offered as a piece treaty to go and get a couple of my big subs to help him out. He lied and told me someone else was supplying the subs. It's a DJ that we know all too well. I was willing to help out and not looking to make any money.

The thing is he has them under contract for 2 years. So he got them to do it this year as well. As most of you know I have stuff that would really do it up in that park. I don't talk to my ex partner. I could have my friend that works with me now talk to him since they are semi related. Meaning they grew up in the same projects.

I would just want it to sound right. I don't care about playing at all or getting paid. I would just want things to sound right. The money is really just a charity thing anyway. Not a lot of money to begin with. So basically it's about doing a nice favor for a good cause. So unless my friend can talk him into it they are on their own again and it will sound the way it does. Not my issue if he still wants to hold on to the past. This would be just a one time deal. We wouldn't get back together. I don't wish anything bad for him or his GF. I wish them the best.

Maybe he will get us to do it next year God willing.

So you want to give out your gear for nothing and risk it getting damaged? Good business plan!
No it won't get damaged sir as he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't consider it if I thought that would happen.

Got it. So there is no chance of him dropping them if he fell, No shot of a power surge, hell no rain or overheating because it is too hot out. Of course no one will be around them to kick them, spill something on them or push them over. I am glad you don;t have to worry about any of those issues. You know what you are right give away your stuff for free and maybe it will catch on and all businesses will start doing the same thing.

Mix for president. America everything is free!!!

Got it. So there is no chance of him dropping them if he fell, No shot of a power surge, hell no rain or overheating because it is too hot out. Of course no one will be around them to kick them, spill something on them or push them over. I am glad you don;t have to worry about any of those issues. You know what you are right give away your stuff for free and maybe it will catch on and all businesses will start doing the same thing.

Mix for president. America everything is free!!!
What they guy does who has this event is to have a big stage that the DJ and performers are on. No issues with anything getting damaged. It probably won't happen with me helping him out because of his ego.

DjMixMasterMachoMachoImWillingToLendMyExPartnerMyStuffForFreeToSoundGoodWhileIMakeNoMoneyMan!

Mix you must be bugging out. Your rig is your bread and butter. Are you that bored that you are willing to put your system at risk to make someone you don't associate with anymore sound good?

Bump that.. You should be making money with that rig. Even if it's just providing sound for other dj's for a fee. Summertime is busy time in NJ. Many parties in the parks and rec centers that you could be targeting.

Get out there and get that work homie. Stop chasing them project rats and start chasing the big cheese.

Guy calls me up that has an annual fund raiser in Branch Brook Park. It's going to be August 27th. He was looking for me to see about helping out my ex partner. He doesn't like the gear he has to do the event. He was using just a pair of Mackie Thumps and no sub. So he wanted to talk to me about helping my ex partner with a better setup. He thought we were cool like that and we're not.

I was there last year and offered as a piece treaty to go and get a couple of my big subs to help him out. He lied and told me someone else was supplying the subs. It's a DJ that we know all too well. I was willing to help out and not looking to make any money.

The thing is he has them under contract for 2 years. So he got them to do it this year as well. As most of you know I have stuff that would really do it up in that park. I don't talk to my ex partner. I could have my friend that works with me now talk to him since they are semi related. Meaning they grew up in the same projects.

I would just want it to sound right. I don't care about playing at all or getting paid. I would just want things to sound right. The money is really just a charity thing anyway. Not a lot of money to begin with. So basically it's about doing a nice favor for a good cause. So unless my friend can talk him into it they are on their own again and it will sound the way it does. Not my issue if he still wants to hold on to the past. This would be just a one time deal. We wouldn't get back together. I don't wish anything bad for him or his GF. I wish them the best.

Maybe he will get us to do it next year God willing.

Mix let's get down to basics here......

If you give this gear away for this event you will NEVER get it next year. You might get a call but it will to supply gear for free again

Second off no charity signs a contract with ANY vendor for 2 years especially sight unseen. They CHOSE to bring him back this year. Someone is lying to you

Unless you are getting gear for free you can't let it go out the door without money coming in for it..Even then you can't.

The mistakes they make are NONE of your business. Let them sink and then come to you if they need more

Mix let's get down to basics here......

If you give this gear away for this event you will NEVER get it next year. You might get a call but it will to supply gear for free again

Second off no charity signs a contract with ANY vendor for 2 years especially sight unseen. They CHOSE to bring him back this year. Someone is lying to you

Unless you are getting gear for free you can't let it go out the door without money coming in for it..Even then you can't.

The mistakes they make are NONE of your business. Let them sink and then come to you if they need more
No he's telling the truth. The thing is they pay isn't much. It's just helping out. I did the same gig with my ex partner a few years back and that's why I got the call to see about helping out. This guy just assumed we were still working together. He just didn't see me on stage last year.

To tell you the truth my wanting to help out is my ego getting in the way. Let me show off to my ex partner because he was supposed to be getting a pair of subs that he didn't get. I don't know if he has gotten any yet. I also got told he was supposed to start selling DJ gear like KPODJ does. So far that never happened as far as I know. I could easily get the gig next year because I've done other stuff that this guy was a part of and loved what I did. The question is would I accept doing it. Seriously I would certainly consider it just to turn my nose up at my ex partner. See this is how a true pro does things. LOL.

So you are going to show off gear that barley gets used and he has a job. Another good plan.

Actually I never said I was doing a thing. I just said what I was thinking. I have another idea for that day instead. Now if asked then I will consider helping out. More than likely I won't get asked for help and it will be the same thing again. Hopefully that's not the case. I hope he finally sold those Mackie Thump speakers. He tried to talk me into buying a pair. I was smart enough to not buy those what I call those Mackie junks. Never even considered them to begin with. He bought them because they are light weight powered speakers. I wanted some powered speakers I would be proud to own and would sound good. Good enough that I would get plenty of compliments about how it sounds.

If someone gave me a pair of those speakers I would quickly sell them for probably $100 for the pair. That's how much I hate those speakers!

No he's telling the truth. The thing is they pay isn't much. It's just helping out. I did the same gig with my ex partner a few years back and that's why I got the call to see about helping out. This guy just assumed we were still working together. He just didn't see me on stage last year.

To tell you the truth my wanting to help out is my ego getting in the way. Let me show off to my ex partner because he was supposed to be getting a pair of subs that he didn't get. I don't know if he has gotten any yet. I also got told he was supposed to start selling DJ gear like KPODJ does. So far that never happened as far as I know. I could easily get the gig next year because I've done other stuff that this guy was a part of and loved what I did. The question is would I accept doing it. Seriously I would certainly consider it just to turn my nose up at my ex partner. See this is how a true pro does things. LOL.

Then why didn't you get it last year instead of him?

Mix I can tell you this and I said it before NO charity will sign a 2 year contract with any vendor. The reason for this is generally the constitution of the organization disallows long term contracts because it's never beneficial for the organization. The Board of directors generally change each year too at most organizations so technically they have no right to sign a long term service contract. I've been doing dances for a community organization for 25 years now five years ago I was nominated for the board of directors. I have never had more than a month to month contract with them. There are several other community clubs I work with and again it's event to event. I know they are going to call but there is no long term contract because they can't do it like that

I'm not bragging Mix but I've got more gear than I know what to do with. I have backups for my backups and at no point does that gear go out the door without income coming in with the exception of the odd charity I will do and then it's me using it not anyone else

Let's say just for giggles that you do let your subs go out and a power spike happens who do you think is going to pay for them? It's not the organization or your ex partner. They aren't going to have a tag day for you, you are on your own

I do a few free events for charity per year.

It's bringing a computer, compact and mic and doing an event on a Sunday afternoon.

If I'm lugging equipment anywhere, I'm charging. Very simple.

We do charity events, but not for free. Some of them have 5k+ people outside in a park... State Senator appearing for some words...

But the event is not happening without good clear sound so everyone can hear, and that is worth paying for.

Sent from my mobile device.

Then why didn't you get it last year instead of him?

Mix I can tell you this and I said it before NO charity will sign a 2 year contract with any vendor. The reason for this is generally the constitution of the organization disallows long term contracts because it's never beneficial for the organization. The Board of directors generally change each year too at most organizations so technically they have no right to sign a long term service contract. I've been doing dances for a community organization for 25 years now five years ago I was nominated for the board of directors. I have never had more than a month to month contract with them. There are several other community clubs I work with and again it's event to event. I know they are going to call but there is no long term contract because they can't do it like that

I'm not bragging Mix but I've got more gear than I know what to do with. I have backups for my backups and at no point does that gear go out the door without income coming in with the exception of the odd charity I will do and then it's me using it not anyone else

Let's say just for giggles that you do let your subs go out and a power spike happens who do you think is going to pay for them? It's not the organization or your ex partner. They aren't going to have a tag day for you, you are on your own
There is no Board Of Directors at this event. It's just a mother and father that decided to have this annual event to honor their son that died. As for stuff being stolen and someone sticking me up for my gear. That won't happen. This is an event in the park with park police and sheriff squad on the scene. This event will have a bunch of vendors present.

Why I didn't get the gig last year. Simple. The father thought me and the other DJ were still dealing with each other. So he assumed I would just be there playing. This is just a simple agreement among the father and my ex partner for him to do it again. Nothing major at all. Like I said I hope the gear he uses this year will be better than last year. We'll see.

BTW, a parent run "fundraiser" .. is NOT the same as a charity. You can't deduct "contributions" to an individual .. only to a qualified organization.

SO if you wish to do it for free .. there won't be any tax benefit .. assuming one would pay taxes.