Have you, or would you wear Shorts to a paid gig?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Check with the client. I always ask the question of how will the guests be attired? How do you desire the DJ to be attired. If the reply comes back that shorts and shirt, then there's your answer. For those "social" events when it is going to be HOT and Humid, I wear black dress shorts and a DJ Shirt w/logo that has a collar.

The client MIGHT say that shorts and a T Shirt is A OK with them, BUT it's not just about what the client thinks is acceptable to them. It's also about the perception you are visually creating to all the guests there.

How much that perception weighs on your "brand" and perception of you being the DJ during that event is totally debatable though.

I have seen DJs make fun of other DJs on facebook for how they were dressed at the event. ...Could guests at events be critiquing how we are dressed...even if it's a very casual grad party outside?

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Depends on how tastefully you want your appearance to be perceived. Truthfully, I try to dress slightly better than what client says is okay. You certainly don't want to be in a tux shirt, vest and matching bowtie, and the groom is dressed in simple suit and tie.

It's also about the perception you are visually creating to all the guests there. Could guests at events be critiquing how we are dressed...even if it's a very casual grad party outside?

Depends on how tastefully you want your appearance to be perceived. Truthfully, I try to dress slightly better than what client says is okay. You certainly don't want to be in a tux shirt, vest and matching bowtie, and the groom is dressed in simple suit and tie.

But showing up in a full tuxedo, or a suit and tie...
when all the guests are in shirts and t-shirts
does nothing positive for your perception.

But showing up in a full tuxedo, or a suit and tie...
when all the guests are in shirts and t-shirts
does nothing positive for your perception.

True! I actually have not worn my Tux at all this year. I think I wore it one time in 2017, and 2 times in 2016.

I guess for me, I will be choosing between Black Pants and a Polo Shirt or Button down short sleeve black shirt, or Shorts and a Polo Shirt for this grad party tomorrow. I have polo shirts with our logo on them.

It appears to me that standards for appropriate dress have declined considerably. Even in a sport coat and slacks, I have felt over-dressed at a couple of events. Few even dress up for church (suit and tie) anymore.

On the other hand, if you (as a DJ), consider yourself a performer and the main attraction at the events you do, then what you wear is essentially your costume. So if you're dressed differently from the "audience", there would be nothing unusual about that. I saw a David Bowie concert, and he was not dressed like most of the audience either.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to me that standards for appropriate dress have declined considerably. Even in a sport coat and slacks, I have felt over-dressed at a couple of events. Few even dress up for church (suit and tie) anymore. On the other hand, if you (as a DJ), consider yourself a performer and the main attraction at the events you do, then what you wear is essentially your costume. So if you're dressed differently from the "audience", there would be nothing unusual about that. I saw a David Bowie concert, and he was not dressed like most of the audience either.

I get my tux rentals for free, so it's much easier (and cheaper) than buying a good suit and paying to clean it.
But I have always worn it with a vest, so I can peel the jacket after the formalities.
But recently, it has come in handy so I don't out-dress the wedding party.
Seems the new trend for them is tan or blue suits, brown shoes, and NO SOCKS!

I have also been a "roadie" since the 1980's...
and bands these days do NOT wear "costumes"....they wear whatever they wore on the drive to the venue.
Back in the day, what you wore on stage was not worn on the street, and vice versa

As for church attire. They have all relaxed their requirements in an effort to stop losing customers.

I've worn shorts at gigs... pool parties, some events when I was on Maui... and even once at a very casual wedding on Maui where I wore a tux shirt, vest and shorts, just like the groom and BM LOL I am in a room tonight for an all night grad party that I know will be hot,,, I might even wear some tonight... if I do, I'll be sure to post a pic or two! :)

Incidentally, I wore shorts to a wedding gig last week. Of course I changed into suit clothes before guests started arriving. I assure you, it was NOT a pretty site. I used to have sexy, hairy legs. Now I just have barren, old man sticks for legs. Life's just not fair some days.

Incidentally, I wore shorts to a wedding gig last week. Of course I changed into suit clothes before guests started arriving. I assure you, it was NOT a pretty site. I used to have sexy, hairy legs. Now I just have barren, old man sticks for legs. Life's just not fair some days.

You can add: wrinkly skin and little to no hair.

I don't wear shorts to a gig due to many of the same issues you mention.[emoji1] I DO wear black jeans and one of my Logo T-shirts (when setting up), and I got a little beat up in here about the T-Shirt.[emoji1] I also change before the actual event, but early arrivers have seen me in my T-Shirt. I look cute though.[emoji1] I've had people ask where they can get one, so I'm gonna have some made up for sale.[emoji4]

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
I don't wear shorts to a gig due to many of the same issues you mention.[emoji1] I DO wear black jeans and one of my Logo T-shirts (when setting up), and I got a little beat up in here about the T-Shirt.[emoji1] I also change before the actual event, but early arrivers have seen me in my T-Shirt. I look cute though.[emoji1] I've had people ask where they can get one, so I'm gonna have some made up for sale.[emoji4]

Me too, Me too!

I'm doing an event today in a park where I will be wearing a pair of shorts and short sleeve shirt. Along with a pair of easy slip on shoes that are very comfortable.

In certain situations I don't see a problem with wearing shorts. This event is a casual event that should be the best they've ever done. Besides a lot people attending the event know me personally. Besides the weather report is that it's supposed to be 93 degrees today. In such a condition I would want to be comfortable and not worry about passing out.