Bar & Club Halloween 2016-All Vinyl

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Audio One

Keepin' it Real !
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Worked at a hole in the wall bar on Halloween this year. Place is called "The Crafty Bastard". It's a small 3 barrel brewery located in downtown Knoxville TN. This make my 7th all wax show this year.

I love the face of the younger generation when they see me spinning vinyl.

Sorry, only got one pic of the setup.

KIMG02201.jpg

All vinyl retro set, all 12' versions except Boris Pickett, ACDC, Def Lep

Nightmare on my street - DJ Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince
Keep on movin' - Soul II Soul
The Message - Grand Master Flash
Paid in full - Eric B.
Freaks come out at night - Whodini
Flashlight - Parliament
Let's Groove - Earth Wind Fire
White Horse - Laid Back
Somebody's watching me - Rockwell
Body Talk - The Deele
I feel for you - Chaka khan
Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr,
Thriller- Michael Jackson
Stomp - Brothers Johnson
Situation - Yaz
Word Up - Cameo
Give it to me baby - Rick James
10 - Madhouse
Freak a zoid - Midnight Star
Planet Rock - Soul sonic Force
Let it whip - Dazz Band
Ghostbusters(inst. for costume contest) - Ray Parker Jr.
Monster mash - Boris Picket
Humpty Dance - EU
I got it going on- Tone Loc
Jungle Boogie -Kool and the gang
Atomic dogg - George Clinton
Rapper's delight - Sugarhill gang
Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside
You got the power - War
Fresh - Kool and the Gang
Rock Steady - The Whispers
Ride on Time - Black Box
Rub you the right way - Johnny Gill
You shook me all night long
Pour some sugar on me - Def Lep
Computer Blue - Prince
Darling Nikki - Prince

Retro cool ...

Awesome that you're able to pull that off!

On the equipment side.. it looks like you've got a battle sized mixer built into a 19" adapter. Have you thought about a smaller coffin that might be easier to haul around?

Relocated recently. Had to get rid of nearly all my LP vinyl...no space to store it. Kept a very large quantity of vinyl 45's for nostalgia parties, sock hops and oldies dances...55-Over community. Gave away my jukebox to relative along with several hundred 45's. Looking forward to a few more vinyl nights before I pack it all in. Got 2/3 of those on your list Audio One. I bet the patrons were surprised to learn that you were spinning all vinyl. Any comments received like turntable rumble or clicks or pops at the higher volume or Wow! the sound is really good?

Awesome that you're able to pull that off!

On the equipment side.. it looks like you've got a battle sized mixer built into a 19" adapter. Have you thought about a smaller coffin that might be easier to haul around?
The mixer is a 15+ year old Pioneer DJM-300, not what I want, but it works ok. And yes I have thought of getting a lighter case(or 3 cases). I don't move this thing around that much so the expense is not justifiable at this point.

The skills should live on. But, do you really want to haul records around? I really enjoy portability.
Of course I have a computer system, but I do this because I enjoy it. And the records are not as a pain as one might think. The crates stack and depending on what I bring, one or two trips to the van, that's it.

Back in the day, I used a slide-back coffin by Odyssey. Top section had Numark 1295 mixer and ADJ 8-switch light control unit on left and Numark 2-drawer CD Player on top right along with ETA 2-bulb power and light. Bottom section had Dual Turntable on one side and Pioneer on the other...on the bottom beneath the Pioneer was the Numark CD drawers. I believe that the left side bottom beneath the Dual TT was a Teac dual CD player. I used cassettes, too back then. When I find a picture, I'll post.

Back in those days I had fewer CD's but lots of mint condition 45's and cassettes. Eventually I'd copy vinyl to CD and reduce the load-in. I had a Nissan King Cab pickup then with a molded cap that had more height at the front near the cab.
It wasn't that difficult to load the coffin. Converted a 2-wheeler that had rubber tires on the front and smaller wheels on the back where the handle connected; converted to a push cart. Placed two equal sized Sterelite totes on a piece of plywood, fit perfectly between the upright handle and the "tongue". Placed a piece of Luean plywood on top of the totes which made the height of the 4-wheel cart the same height as the truck bed gate. Since the "coffin" had handles on each end, it was easy to pull to the gate. Pushed the cart parallel to the truck gate and lifted one end of the coffin on to the cart and then the other. It rolled perfectly into the reception hall. The two totes on the bottom of the cart held my cables, pwr cords, etc.

You must have been wondering how I lifted the coffin on to the skirted banquet table...it was actually easy. The height of the traditional 8-ft. rectangular table was 29" and the 2-wheeler (converted to 4-wheeler) was 28". To get it on to the table I lifted one end and placed it on a 1" dowel cut to the width of the coffin. Then I lifted the other end on to the table. Pushed the cart out of the way and then lifted the non-dowelled end and pushed or pulled the coffin until I had it centered on the table. Actually, pretty easy. Oh, did I mention that I am a single OP with no helper!

The setup was clean looking with 3 white traditional 45-vinyl storage boxes on each side of the coffin. Behind me against the wall was another 8-ft. banquet table skirted or table cloth. On it were placed the other 8 or 9 boxes of vinyl 45's. Power and line cords came out the back side of the coffin (two round holes, one on each end, and dropped straight down behind the table skirt--very clean looking setup. Got many comments over the years. All of the 45-vinyl boxes fit inside the King Cab behind the driver and passenger seats.

When CD's became mainstream that system became history. So you guys with those large double mixer cases that are pretty heavy, try the dowel system I spoke about. Put the dowel on the end of the table, lift one end of the unit and slide it down the table into position. I'm sure it will work.