Are you one of those dj's who...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Maybe a dance-thru convenience shop is a new add-on ..

Reactions: djcrazychris
You can ask for anything you like so long as it is in the contract, including dinner, soap for the shower after, full PA setup, etc. lol.

I don't think it is regional per say, as I have lived in 3 states, and a vendor meal for someone who works 10-12 hours is considered standard in the wedding industry. It's in the contract just in case, but almost all venue's, catering, and clients approach it the same way--always asking me how many vendor meals do I need and if I have any dietary restrictions.

It doesn't do anyone any good to not feed the vendors, and generally results in a lesser quality performance if one has not been fed a proper meal.

I would never dream of eating at my table and am always fed together with other vendors in a separate room. If it is a buffet, I jump in line immediately after B&G are fed, and go to sit with the other vendors.

One thing I have added to my contract, and I am VERY clear with the client is that I am fed as the guests are eating, towards the beginning, NOT afterward.

As a DJ/MC for a wedding, it doesn't help to feed me when scheduled formalities are taking places such as speeches or 1st dance.

As a vendor, the catering if fully aware of how many guests + vendors need to eat, but it shocks me a couple times a year when catering tells me I have to wait until the end and make up all kinds of excuses. If that happens, the client fully understands that things will be delayed as vendors are eating when things are supposed to be happening. I had one case where this was a big ordeal, and B&G left them a bad review b/c it cut into dancing time.

Last edited:
I have the "Will you provide a meal for the DJ" question on my planning guide, as well. Pretty much always offered and after everyone has been through the line, I will let Rebekah get something while I am behind the board, then I will go get something small. We take turns eating behind the table, trying to not be seen. I usually also have a bag with water, gatorade and chips, just in case, at events longer then 4 hours.

That’s the way it often works in my experience. Usually I’m offered meals when there’s a buffet... So I get to go through the line after all the guests. Usually the buffet is pretty well picked over. I find I do better if I just bring my own snacks.

I never worry about what other dj's are saying or thinking.

At 99% of the weddings we do, we are offered either a vendor meal or to eat with the guests. We are there for 7+ hours and they understand that. We feel that this is a gesture of "job well done" and that they want (not need) to include us.

Honestly, if you are worried about other dj's eating at events, you have too much time on your hands.

What's next, we shouldn't go to the bar and get a glass of water or a diet pepsi? Come on guys!

Last edited:
Regarding our market's weddings, corporate events, and other formal celebrations, vendor meals are not common and eating during a performance is never an issue because I specifically and intentionally inform my clients that none of my personnel will be eating during the event.

Barring some extended performance duration (6 hours or more) or specific medical condition, eating isn't mandatory during the usual 4-5 hours of the performance. We eat before and/or after, typically together and for camaraderie and friendship, but never during as I know it creates a negative image that I elect not to present.

To preempt the usual cacophony of, "what about drinking?" foolishness, water and soft drinks, if offered, are appreciated but not necessary (we can provide our own hydration). Regarding alcoholic beverages, it is policy, that we share with clients, that we do not and will not drink ANY alcoholic beverages during the performance, unless we are charged with delivering a formal toast and then, to respect the tradition and honoree, only the toasting party is allowed to imbibe.

Kudos, Chris, I respect and appreciate your practice.

Last edited:
Regarding alcoholic beverages, it is policy, that we share with clients, that we do not and will not drink ANY alcoholic beverages during the performance, unless we are charged with delivering a formal toast and then, to respect the tradition and honoree, only the toasting party is allowed to imbibe.

I had a bride that wanted to take a shot of tequila with me once... I obliged. But otherwise would follow this policy as well. However, I rarely get asked about it from clients.

I can't see any more sense in refusing to eat than I can refusing to use the restroom. If DJs are not doing either of these things - it could explain why many of them are so uptight. :)

I intend to eat when and where food might be a significant element of the event in question. My customers all seem to expect that and make some provision for it even if done privately with a more modest vendor meal. Many of the venues I work at also take care of me even when the client may never have thought about it. This is by no means an unreasonable expectation since even a very simple wedding might span 8 hours from arrival to completed load-out.

That being said - the work comes first. I have to be professional enough to work around the food - and that can sometimes mean having very little time to eat, or setting it aside until after the event. Occasionally, I'm fed very early in an event (cocktail hour) because that is really the only downtime available. I also don't complain when I'm not fed or are unable to find time to eat. It's just the way things are sometimes.

As for drinking? Well, I would do that too save for the reality that it is incompatible with the work I'm trying to do. I reject drinking at a gig because minimally it can be like sailing without a compass and at worse - without a rudder. The rules of etiquette are really secondary to my own desire to work effectively, safely, and repeatedly. Just don"t want or need alcohol slowing me down. I worked for a very long time in nightclubs and voactionally there's a very different outcome for the DJs who drink versus those who professionally remain the only sober person in the room.

Last edited:
Maybe we should have a few "riders" in our contracts...:pillwink:. Let's start a list. What would you require?

Most venues around here have policies against vendors drinking alcohol. Get caught and you're never allowed back. Many couples have to fill out a form providing the info on all their vendors prior to the event, so they'd know whose who. Of course, the bar is open for all vendors to use for non alcoholic drinks, and some venues even assign a staff member to wait on the vendors and any of their needs, including the serving of their dinner.

definitely 2 schools of thought on this... some even angry...lol...love it...

at the end of the day we all must do what our professional consciences allow or demand....

i will continue to obstain from eating at events...probably more because i try to not stand out as a typical fat guy who simply cant pass up a free buffet (and that boils down to my own psychosis and maybe not as much a professional requirement)....and continue to bring my own water so that no guest wonders if im attempting to get loaded on free booze after my 3rd trip for a diet coke...

"To each their own..." Said the farmer as he kissed the cow...

cc

Regarding our market's weddings, corporate events, and othar formal celebrations, vendor meals are not common and eating during a performance is never an issue because I specifically and intentionally inform my clients that none of my personnel will be eating during the event.

Barring some extended performance duration (6 hours or more) or specific medical condition, eating isn't mandatory during the usual 4-5 hours of the performance. We eat before and/or after, typically together and for camaraderie and friendship, but never during as I know it creates a negative image that I elect not to present.

To pre-empt the usual cacophony of, "what about drinking?" foolishness, water and soft drinks, if offered, are appreciated but not necessary (we can provide our own hydration). Regarding alcoholic beverages, it is policy, that we share with clients, that we do not and will not drink ANY alcoholic beverages during the performance, unless we are charged with delivering a formal toast and then, to respect the tradition and honoree, only the toasting party is allowed to imbibe.

Kudos, Chris, I respect and appreciate your practice.

4a7b41_3281983.jpg

definitely 2 schools of thought on this... some even angry...lol...love it...

at the end of the day we all must do what our professional consciences allow or demand....

i will continue to obstain from eating at events...probably more because i try to not stand out as a typical fat guy who simply cant pass up a free buffet (and that boils down to my own psychosis and maybe not as much a professional requirement)....and continue to bring my own water so that no guest wonders if im attempting to get loaded on free booze after my 3rd trip for a diet coke...

"To each their own..." Said the farmer as he kissed the cow...

cc
This is why I think there is a regional difference at play here. You and many keep using the word buffet... whereas here buffets are extremely uncommon at weddings and many events. In all my years of doing this I think I’ve been to less than 5 weddings with buffets. I don’t know how your approach would work in venues that vendors are required to be fed and in fact do get served, and being that it is a sit down style dinner, your meal is brought to you in a different part of the venue out of sight. Not always... but usually. As far as avoiding trips to the bar, we just simply ask for a pitcher or two of water at the start of the night with some plastic cups.

This is why I think there is a regional difference at play here. You and many keep using the word buffet... whereas here buffets are extremely uncommon at weddings and many events. In all my years of doing this I think I’ve been to less than 5 weddings with buffets. I don’t know how your approach would work in venues that vendors are required to be fed and in fact do get served, and being that it is a sit down style dinner, your meal is brought to you in a different part of the venue out of sight. Not always... but usually. As far as avoiding trips to the bar, we just simply ask for a pitcher or two of water at the start of the night with some plastic cups.

I was using buffet as a generality (funny word)... obviously some events are sit down with servers...

me not know how to use fork

cc