Another venue has closed.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I was talking to a DJ friend of mine. He was setting up to do an event and told me he passed by the Atrium in West Orange, NJ and gates were around it. It's closed. Did a sweet 16 there last year I think and now it's closed. Nice venue. Looked like a nice place inside and outside. Didn't look like the cheapest place around.

Obviously since I just got the news today, don't know why it closed. Another one bites the dust. Maybe it's only temporary.

Reactions: steve149
It said they closed permanently. Who knows what happened. It's a shame when clients are dooped out of their retainer by a venue. Is there legal recourse a client can take against a venue and win? I ask this question because of what some have had happen to them with them as a DJ. What would you do if a venue closed and decided to not refund your money?

It said they closed permanently. Who knows what happened. It's a shame when clients are dooped out of their retainer by a venue. Is there legal recourse a client can take against a venue and win? I ask this question because of what some have had happen to them with them as a DJ. What would you do if a venue closed and decided to not refund your money?

If the corporation, or the venue owner filed for bankruptcy, then there pretty much is no legal recourse for getting the retainer back from the clients.

What can anybody really do outside of take the owner/company to court. Of course if they filed for bankruptcy, well that's that! Just lost money for the clients.

I think there could be some sort of way to charge criminal proceedings brought up against the owners IF they took retainers then closed up the venue like a week or days later...At that point they obviously knew they were closing, BUT if retainers were paid months beforehand, I'm pretty sure bankruptcy protection takes care of that.

If the corporation, or the venue owner filed for bankruptcy, then there pretty much is no legal recourse for getting the retainer back from the clients.

What can anybody really do outside of take the owner/company to court. Of course if they filed for bankruptcy, well that's that! Just lost money for the clients.

I think there could be some sort of way to charge criminal proceedings brought up against the owners IF they took retainers then closed up the venue like a week or days later...At that point they obviously knew they were closing, BUT if retainers were paid months beforehand, I'm pretty sure bankruptcy protection takes care of that.
That sucks. I think of clients that don't want to pay the full amount before the event because of what some DJs have done, which is get paid in full and are a no show.

I don't know what the law is in New Jersey but here You go on a list of unprotected creditors and if you get real lucky you get pennies on the dollar back usually you don't get anything because the protected creditors (Banks, Finance, and CC companies) come first