School & Teen Events 2016 High School Homecoming (Colorado)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

aguilas583

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 30, 2016
Just wrapped up a gig yesterday. This is by far the biggest gig I have done. I obsessed over my research, and all the details, but I suppose it was a worth it since everyone at the school had a blast! This is only my second school dance, so I know I can learn a lot more. Any constructive criticism is always accepted. Based on their budget, I wasn't able to rent all the same equipment, so I had to use my equipment as well to add to the total sound. 1000 students showed up and the sound filled the gym quite nicely with everything at 0db and with plenty of headroom. Equipment list is as follows:

Sound:
2-Mackie SRM 450V2's
1-Behringer B115W (front fill)
2-QSC K12's (rented)
2-Peavy Pvpx 15" subs
4-QSC KW181's (rented)
Peavy Pv6 mixer

Lighting:
2-10' Tomcat Truss (Rented)
2-Applied L-16 Truss (Rented)
20-Chauvet Slimpar 38's
2-Chauvet Intimidator Spot 255's
2-Chauvet Wash FX's
2-Chauvet Scorpion Dual Lasers
2-Chauvet Mini Kinta's
1-Chauvet 4Play CL
1-Chauvet Swarm 5FX
2-Amazon LED uplights (for facade)
1-Ultratec Hazer (not used due to school limitations. This was rented also).

I am in the process of making the gig log, so once it's done I will post it here. Currently I only have a photo I took with my phone. af6ff6acf62a78a7ba3c56cecdd1b682.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking setup ... especially the lighting truss. Not sure if it was done afterwards, but GAF down any loose cables on the floor to prevent any tripping (test it in an inconspicuous areas first, as even GAF will sometimes remove the oils from the boards and leave a matte surface where the cables were. On a polyurethaned surface, it should be OK. (and never use duct tape).

Nice looking setup ... especially the lighting truss. Not sure if it was done afterwards, but GAF down any loose cables on the floor to prevent any tripping (test it in an inconspicuous areas first, as even GAF will sometimes remove the oils from the boards and leave a matte surface where the cables were. On a polyurethaned surface, it should be OK. (and never use duct tape).

Thank you! I have the ADJ gaf tape ($35 per roll) that we used to tape down the cables like you mentioned. That stuff is expensive but has an awesome balance of adhesion and clean removal.

Good looking rig, I bet the kids had a great time!

I'm surprised you didn't use that Behringer as a monitor though. I would bet it was tough to hear anything but the boom from the subs where you were standing.

Good looking rig, I bet the kids had a great time!

I'm surprised you didn't use that Behringer as a monitor though. I would bet it was tough to hear anything but the boom from the subs where you were standing.

Thank you!

I was actually able to hear the vocals pretty well from where I was. I did have to turn up my headphones up pretty loudly for cuing the songs but apart from that, the boom didn't overpower the tops from where I was. From our crappy phone applications, we were getting around 101db in the center of the gym with a peak of 103. My only perspective of powered subwoofers are my Peavy's (which work great for weddings and smaller rooms) but my gosh can the KW181 kick hard and crystal clear! I can see why people use these as a bench mark on how good other subs perform. If only I had a spare 6 grand laying around....

Thank you!

I was actually able to hear the vocals pretty well from where I was. I did have to turn up my headphones up pretty loudly for cuing the songs but apart from that, the boom didn't overpower the tops from where I was. From our crappy phone applications, we were getting around 101db in the center of the gym with a peak of 103. My only perspective of powered subwoofers are my Peavy's (which work great for weddings and smaller rooms) but my gosh can the KW181 kick hard and crystal clear! I can see why people use these as a bench mark on how good other subs perform. If only I had a spare 6 grand laying around....

Looks great! As you start growing and looking into investing in new gear i would recommend investing in EV ETX 18 inch subs. Really you can use any tops you'd like to go with them but those subs are the kings of school dances in my opinion. You could do your homecomings and proms with just a pair of those subs and they will blow you away. Keep up the good work, looks like you are well on your way! :)

Reactions: ittigger
Looks great! As you start growing and looking into investing in new gear i would recommend investing in EV ETX 18 inch subs. Really you can use any tops you'd like to go with them but those subs are the kings of school dances in my opinion. You could do your homecomings and proms with just a pair of those subs and they will blow you away. Keep up the good work, looks like you are well on your way! :)

Thank you!

My research has led me to 3 different subwoofers. The KW181, ETX-18SP, and the JBL SRX818SP. This is obviously going the powered speaker route. I still haven't heard the EV in person (only the EKX model) so I am really wanting to try it out. So many options...

The school wants me back so I must have done something right! I am extremely eager to learn and always improve, so I appreciate the feedback!

Thank you!

My research has led me to 3 different subwoofers. The KW181, ETX-18SP, and the JBL SRX818SP. This is obviously going the powered speaker route. I still haven't heard the EV in person (only the EKX model) so I am really wanting to try it out. So many options...

The school wants me back so I must have done something right! I am extremely eager to learn and always improve, so I appreciate the feedback!

Take it from me - We do most of the homecomings and proms in this area and the ETX 18's are the way to go. So much so that pretty much every company in my area started renting mine for their dances and now they are all buying them for themselves as well. Soon it will be all ETX here in my market lol. For Powered subs you don't even need to think about it, once you have the funds just buy the ETX and never look back.

At the DJ Expo in AC I listened to the equipment from Bass Boss... and I've never heard speakers that can do that. I've never heard the ETX line, but I like what I've heard about EV in general lately. But, you should at least put Bass Boss on your list. They make some SICK stuff.

At the DJ Expo in AC I listened to the equipment from Bass Boss... and I've never heard speakers that can do that. I've never heard the ETX line, but I like what I've heard about EV in general lately. But, you should at least put Bass Boss on your list. They make some SICK stuff.

I have heard good things about bass boss from the little that i've heard. But still, the ETX are perfect , I don't have any need to ever look anywhere else. I'm serious , just find a way to demo one and it'll sell itself.

Lighting set up looks nice but as for sound...

Next time, leave the Peavey subs at home. The QSC subs would most likely have performed even better on their own since different subs output their respective frequencies differently which could have causes some cancellation.

Next time, splay the tops to avoid phasing and frequency cancellation.

Don't point the Behringer 'up' but rather out, towards the crowd. You could have even eliminated it and placed two of the 'matched' tops right on top of the subs, next to each other and splayed outward and left the other two matched tops on stands to cover the long range left and right. That would provide center fill for the kids who like to be up close and personal while keeping a nice level for the rest of the room.

I am guessing that the excess wire between the speakers was from a long XLR being used to link the two units. If that is the case, you could have still run the excess cable in the direction of the riser and doubled back. That would be much cleaner.

Lighting set up looks nice but as for sound...

Next time, leave the Peavey subs at home. The QSC subs would most likely have performed even better on their own since different subs output their respective frequencies differently which could have causes some cancellation.

Next time, splay the tops to avoid phasing and frequency cancellation.

Don't point the Behringer 'up' but rather out, towards the crowd. You could have even eliminated it and placed two of the 'matched' tops right on top of the subs, next to each other and splayed outward and left the other two matched tops on stands to cover the long range left and right. That would provide center fill for the kids who like to be up close and personal while keeping a nice level for the rest of the room.

I am guessing that the excess wire between the speakers was from a long XLR being used to link the two units. If that is the case, you could have still run the excess cable in the direction of the riser and doubled back. That would be much cleaner.

Thanks!

I will have to give the subs a try without the peavy's. The Peavy's have 2 high pass outputs each which I used to go to the tops (since I don't have a stand alone equalizer [emoji53]) so that is why I used them. I agree with your advice and will have to try that at my next gig.

The behringer has an awful "monitor" angle when laid on its side, so I would rather not use it next time and rent another K12 which has a much better angle like you suggested. Excuse my newbie-ness, but what do you mean by splayed?

I didn't even think about running it back to the stage. That is a good idea. Thank you for the tips!

I have heard good things about bass boss from the little that i've heard. But still, the ETX are perfect , I don't have any need to ever look anywhere else. I'm serious , just find a way to demo one and it'll sell itself.
Not perfect .. if you don't have a ramp, they're about 50 pounds too heavy for us old "lift it up to the SUV" types. Sound great and are killer dance subs, but not for the weak.

Not perfect .. if you don't have a ramp, they're about 50 pounds too heavy for us old "lift it up to the SUV" types. Sound great and are killer dance subs, but not for the weak.

That is true - they definitely aren't light. Granted The wheels built onto them are awesome which overall really makes them not nearly as bad as i expected. For some reason these subs don't feel that Cumbersome to me. With that being said, if you ever invest in ETX tops that's a different story all together. I have the 3 way ETX tops and i swear i need a forklift to move them it seems lol.

That is true - they definitely aren't light. Granted The wheels built onto them are awesome which overall really makes them not nearly as bad as i expected. For some reason these subs don't feel that Cumbersome to me. With that being said, if you ever invest in ETX tops that's a different story all together. I have the 3 way ETX tops and i swear i need a forklift to move them it seems lol.

My Yorkville U15 was close ... 82 pounds each. I was OK lifting them onto the subs, but putting them on stands required laying them down, pushing the tripod into the cup and then rotating/lifting the assembly up into position.

Reactions: Loneavenger
My Yorkville U15 was close ... 82 pounds each. I was OK lifting them onto the subs, but putting them on stands required laying them down, pushing the tripod into the cup and then rotating/lifting the assembly up into position.

When i do large band events i'll usually use 4 ETX subs and stack 2 on each side and then pole mount the tops. Problem is you either have to have a ladder on either side of the speakers to be able to have 2 people go up and get the tops on and off the pole or you have to set the stack right in front of the stage so you can mount the tops from stage. It's an experience either way haha

I would love to see the playlist!

Nice looking set up

I just finished the gig log (22 minute video) so once I upload it and share it here, I can gather the list that I used song wise. I do everything on the fly (no preset setlist) but I have a "roadmap" of the songs I play at the beginning and then play the popular songs in the last half of the dance.

I just finished the gig log (22 minute video) so once I upload it and share it here, I can gather the list that I used song wise. I do everything on the fly (no preset setlist) but I have a "roadmap" of the songs I play at the beginning and then play the popular songs in the last half of the dance.

Thanks brother!! Glad your dance went so well!