Weddings Your Way of Taking Requests...?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 5, 2006
Schenectady, NY
I've seen quite a few ways of DJs taking requests. Verbally, going table to table (learned from watching the video by Todd Mitchem), I've seen a DJ have a small table with his request sheet and pen (to me that was anti-social, dislike)

I would assume verbally is the best way...

What say you?

Verbal for me. If I have to take a list of requests, I think it means I have not been able to read the crowd. The only time I get tons of requests is from high school events, which I don't do very often. 90% of the requests I get from those are top 20 current songs.

When someone requests a song that I believe I may play, I throw it into the "work area" on my software. Then there are times when someone requests something that'll fit right in and it gets played right away.

We write them down as folks come up and give us a request. That way we don't forget them and can have them to look at later.

First, assuming the B&G have given the O.K. to take requests, I work the room during cocktails and have found out a host of very important information about the Bride/Groom, family, or the guests themselves that I was not able to obtain otherwise. If they can't think of any songs on the spot, I invite them to see me later so I can write them down then.

The family and friends appreciate the time taken with this personal attention.

For wedding and other adult events, I go to the tables during the first course to try to get requests. I do get some requests this way, but it also gets people to realize that they can come up to me to make additional requests.

For Sweet 16s, I put out a pen and pad. I do this because kids will be writing requests all night, and I have to be more focused on the music and the mix than taking a hundred requests at once. I got that style from the first night club I worked at. That was their method.

For Bar / Bat Mitzvahs, requests tend to come in short bursts, so I take them verbally.

Right now we're still using our printed request cards (size of a business card), that has our logo, lines for song, artist and "dedication" if they so desire to dedicate the song.

Moving towards more verbal requests and we will write them down for the clients (as soon as our supply of cards disappear)... :sqwink:

Verbally, except for middle school dances, a 8 sheets go out so they can write down their requests, otherwise I would need to hire someone to take them, because you'd be getting them all night.

Yeah, at schools ( both Middle and High Schools ) we set up 2 tables on either side of the stage with Sheets of paper and pens for requests, Then i have one of my guys run down every 30 minutes or say and grab the sheets and the realistic requests i work into the playlist. These kids ask for some ridiculous things, so usually half the list goes in the trash. They ask for songs like I'm on a boat, Birthday Sex, songs like that that abolutely cannot be played at a school event. I learned years ago that if you verbally take requests at the schools you get overwhelmed VERY quickly

I never make a point to not be sociable. Every request ultimately get written down by them or I. I'm too prone to forgetfulness otherwise. Now, if the same person is requesting their 4th or 5th song, then I'll just make them write it themselves. It also helps me if they write it down if I'm not familiar with it. Sometimes with the ultra-new stuff, they dong even get the song name or artist right, so it helps to decipher it later and I can get it for the next time

I go table to table during dinner unless i read the crowd as being "stuffy",,, I usually watch the tables and start with that table that looks like the "party" crowd,,, banter a bit so other tables see what is going on.

But keep in mind, at most of my events I have like 4 or 5 tables, so at a huge wedding, I do not know how you would have the time to go table to table....

At schools I have paper with lines on it for requests...

at the top of the page is printed " One song per line, if you take more than one line, song will be ignored"

This stops the kid from using one page for a request.....

When I do a wedding, I don't promote that I take requests. If someone wants to make one, that's fine, I'll try & play it as long as it is a song that'll work on the dancefloor.

I have enough to do to take care of the special requests that my clients & their family have made. If you solicit for requests & don't play them, guests have the attitude "You were asking for requests!..I made it, now you gotta play it."

One fellow DJ once told me that when DJs that solicit for requests, it sometimes comes off as they are inexperienced & are asking for help. (I have no idea what to play)

Interesting way to look at it. I never thought of it that way.

Depending on the size of the wedding, if it's less than 125, I'll go table to table and verbally. If more than 125, then verbally only.

I know of a local DJ, Lake Geroge area, that has a separate table on the side, with a sign that reads "Requests Here" - With a pad and pens...To me, that's anti-social. Well, if you met him, he's not exactly Mr. Social...:tritongue:

What I think is hilarious, is the gorgeous girls that come up and try to let's say, be really nice to you...Yeah, where were you 10 years ago? :triwink:

99% is Verbally
and I carry sheets on the table that have a perferated section of the bottom
so they can take it home and keep if they want to book me for another show

if you want to see a copy then just ask and i'll post it

I make an announcement that I am open to taking requests as long as I have them and that they are appropriate.
When someone comes up and does make a request, I immediately find it and put it to the bottom of my queque list. I pull them up as needed. I also warn the requesters that I expect them to be the first person on the floor within a few seconds, otherwise if nobody gets up to dance that song it will be faded out.

If I get a request for a song that is unsuitable which I know I won't play, I ask the requester to choose another. I will also tell them why I won't play a particular song.