Your best line to combat cheap DJs?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
"I've gotten other quotes that were much cheaper than yours, why would I hire you?"

The question is usually more like, "This other DJ will do it for $XX. Can you match his price?" This is a situation where they're really wanting to book me, so it's not completely a "cheap DJ battle" situation. The ones who are truly only price shopping wouldn't bother asking this question, they'd just book the cheapest and forget it. In my situation above, you are the desired commodity. They want you, but they want you at the "deal" they were offered elsewhere. If I'm already investing my time in talking with her, I'm going to give it my best shot at changing her mind. I believe the best shot is in planting a seed in her head and letting her know the chance she's taking by going cheap. Are there guys like Bobcat, that will deliver a quality event (his words)? Sure, but the percentages are much worse on cheaper DJs. I'm trying to convince this girl to go with a solid choice (me) and to make a quality investment in her wedding. I'm doing her a favor. It sometimes works but more often, it doesn't. Still, I'm able to convert a substantial number and these are the clients who end up REALLY valuing what I deliver to them. They treat me like gold (because I was expensive) and they respect my opinion when I give them advice. I guarantee you if the DJ gives them the same advice, they won't value it. In my book, given the situation, it's worth pulling out a zinger and at least trying to make the conversion.

"Your best line to combat cheap DJs?"

Do not look at the scenario as a combative one, see it as an opportunity to either convince a potential client of your quality and value or simply avoid wasting your efforts on an individual that doesn't pick up what you are putting down.

The unspoken reality, however, is that it only works when you actually are worth more and have proof that you provide a level of quality that warrants your proposed fees. "Dish it ain't rock it, Sir Jury!"

Selling higher quality goods or services is not about price, low nor high!

I though we beat the final bit of dead horse pulp in the late 90s...some things never change.

Last edited:
I think we're also missing a main premise .. "cheap" is NOT always the same as "inexpensive".

Cheap has connotations of "less" of everything .. inexpensive is strictly a price thing.

I think we're also missing a main premise .. "cheap" is NOT always the same as "inexpensive".

Cheap has connotations of "less" of everything .. inexpensive is strictly a price thing.

I hear bottom-feeders using 3 words, "cheap", "inexpensive" and "budget-friendly". In my book, they're all the same thing as "bottom-feeder".

If a DJ is routinely performing 4 to 6 hour weddings receptions for $50 an hour on performance time, is that DJ setting his service at a cheap price, or is he just an Inexpensive option? ...Are the clients who choose said DJ being Cheap, or are they just booking a inexpensive DJ. ...If he is inexpensive, then is a $1,200 DJ too expensive at 5x to 6x the cost?

If a DJ is routinely performing 4 to 6 hour weddings receptions for $50 an hour on performance time, is that DJ setting his service at a cheap price, or is he just an Inexpensive option? ...Are the clients who choose said DJ being Cheap, or are they just booking a inexpensive DJ. ...If he is inexpensive, then is a $1,200 DJ too expensive at 5x to 6x the cost?

I heard a photog recently, talking about how he'd offered his $3k price to a bride and then he had to endure her calling him all kinds of names, all because he wouldn't do it for $500, like the other bottom-feeders she was getting prices from. That's the kind of crap that bottom-feeders create for the rest of us. It makes it harder to get a fair and honest wage for our services.

Bottom feeders ONLY make things difficult for those that let them.

No one (or close to it) walks into a BMW or Mercedes dealership and tells the salesperson they want the S-class or 7-series for what a similar sized Toyota Avalon goes for. If someone is demanding you to meet a very low price, it's almost ALWAYS because you did not give them the impression you were any different.

"This other DJ will do it for $XX. Can you match his price?"

My response to that would depend on how close we are in price.

If it's a really big gap:

I understand that budgets are always important in planning a wedding. I think I've priced our service very fairly for what we provide. But it sounds like there might not be a fit here. I certainly understand, and I wish you guys a great celebration!

If we're pretty close:

I have a small team of really fantastic associates. I'd be able to match that price if I'm booking a member of my team, but unfortunately I can't reduce my personal rate for you. But my team all get rave reviews as well. Do you think you'd prefer to work with one of my associates?

Reactions: ittigger
I heard a photog recently, talking about how he'd offered his $3k price to a bride and then he had to endure her calling him all kinds of names, all because he wouldn't do it for $500, like the other bottom-feeders she was getting prices from. That's the kind of crap that bottom-feeders create for the rest of us. It makes it harder to get a fair and honest wage for our services.

There is a big difference between pictures and photography so, people who are picture takers rather than photographers will obviously be struggling in the digital age. DJs face a similar issue.

There is a reality that cannot be ignored which is that expectations around entertainment have both changed and advanced; that at the edge of the curve DJs have become passe'. In many instances unnecessary to what the prospect wants to accomplish. You know this to be true because you are already recommending use of Spotify over modest priced DJ service.

To distance yourself from this requires and entirely different approach that is routed in entertainment experiences rather than your ability to host and play music.

Reactions: steve149

Who cares?
I once handed someone a two day wedding events contract for $1 upon which they promptly booked. In all, I was there for 5 days. I was a relative.

In the end it doesn't matter what the fee is. If that $50/hr DJ loves what he is doing and he is better at it than you - he deserves the job. It's irrelevant if he is doing it for a hobby, retirement, or because he only makes $11/hr at the supermarket. He''ll get the gig and you won't.

Reactions: SEDJ
...If someone is demanding you to meet a very low price, it's almost ALWAYS because you did not give them the impression you were any different.
It is just as likely that the demanding party is selfish, ignorant and/or incapable/unwilling to listen to alternate considerations...lots of possibilities and combinations thereof.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ TJ
I hear bottom-feeders using 3 words, "cheap", "inexpensive" and "budget-friendly". In my book, they're all the same thing as "bottom-feeder".

You forgot the first word - which is: DJ
This is the first word which informs all other qualifiers. So, let's deal with that.
I have never met anyone who refers to himself or herself as a bottom feeder past or present. Your perspective is not consistent with whatever prospects are contacting them. You should also be aiming at a much higher target than the "bottom."

My prices aren't all that high but they're at least respectable. I don't combat with DJs that are half my price or even lower. Some prospects truly don't have much money to work with.

...or the demanding party is selfish, ignorant and/or incapable/unwilling to listen to alternate considerations.

They could be all of those things and you'll still be unemployed because, superiority won't pay your rent.

Reactions: steve149
They could be all of those things and you'll still be unemployed because, superiority won't pay your rent.
Hyperbolic accusations...the milieu of the banal.

Last edited:
Wow, we're getting quite the Vocabulary lesson today ...

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
My prices aren't all that high but they're at least respectable. I don't combat with DJs that are half my price or even lower. Some prospects truly don't have much money to work with.

Exactly, and the events aren't challenging enough for me to want to pursue. I've worked a lot of events where I was clearly over paid. Perhaps hiring me gave them some insurance or confidence - but, what they needed the DJ to accomplish for them was well below my pay grade and the job itself was not at all challenging. I don't fault people for doing their homework and finding a less expensive way to meet their goals.

Last edited:
Have we set a baseline definition here for what a "bottom feeder" is? This term may all mean different things to different people on this thread.

I define "bottom feeder" as a non-professional. To me, it is not so much about the price as it is what they are doing to our industry - making it look like anyone can do what we do. Yes, anyone can be a bottom feeder - they can go to their local GC on black friday, pick up some $99 powered speakers, stream their music on Youtube, charge however much or little they please and proclaim they are a "Wedding Dj", purposely cutting us professionals down and undercutting us by pulling the wool over a clients' eyes and pretending to offer the same thing (or just being too stupid to know the difference).

By my definition, I've seen bottom feeders around here charging $350 to do weddings - I've also seen them as expensive as $650.

Another company owner in my area actually called me a "bottom feeder" at one point because I was running a graduation party special at a low price, and sending out my trainees to get their feet wet with some cheaper (Peavey) equipment. In my opinion, this was not a bottom feeder move. I generally don't personally take graduation parties anymore, and I realize the only way to build my company further is through managing others and having more systems out. In this case, I was simply serving a market need at the price the market commanded that summer. Obviously I could not send these trainees to weddings, nor could I offer weddings at that pricepoint since I am using experienced staff and higher end equipment. I wasn't making a fortune off of it either - I think my cut was around $100 per system out (with me supplying the equipment). The main advantage to me was I didn't have to turn business away, and it saved a little money on training.

Weddings require a whole different skill set. You need management experience (either people or project management), you need to be organized and able to plan, you need to have a wider variety of music knowledge, you need to have command over the English language with strong microphone/presentation skills and the technical aptitude to master equipment inside and out. Experience helps you think on your feet whether it's making an ad-hoc change, troubleshooting something that went down (without panic), finding the next song in your set, or finding the right thing to say. Not everyone out there with a set of speakers and knowledge of some dance songs fits this criteria.

Just because someone is charging $50 an hour (or some other low number well under fair market value), it doesn't necessarily make them a bottom feeder. They might be a really good hobbyist who only accepts a few gigs per year. If they are truly good at what they do, and doing everything right, then it is not sustainable to tie up all your weekends at low rates (I know this from experience). To do this right, many are probably spending a minimum of $3000-$5000 on their racks, and probably spending about $100/mo on music, meaning you'd have to work basically for free for over 60 hours (@ $50/hr) until you're profitable. Unless you really, really, really love volunteering, this makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. Again, lets assume one of these guys (or gals) are doing everything right - they're either going to have such a full schedule they have a waiting list, or they are going to be so burned out they're only taking a few jobs per year. Not to mention, if something gets spilled on a controller or amplifier or a powered speaker gets dropped, then what (without insurance hopefully their checking account can take the hit).

I'd imagine a lot of you are defining bottom feeders as simply "the Craigslist" company or whatever. I don't really consider them a threat because in many cases it's not a legitimate company. If I saw a busy enough bottom feeder around here, my first instinct would be to recruit them. It could potentially be a great symbiotic relationship where they get paid more working for me, they bring more business in by their overflow, and they have the backing of my equipment, staff and insurance as long as they aren't being an idiot. I had a young kid (Craigslist Dj) seek me out and work for me for a summer two years ago because he wanted to learn how to do weddings professionally, and he could not get into certain halls because he didn't have insurance etc. He was able to book things he otherwise wouldn't have been able to with our equipment and credentials and also had someone experienced out on the job with him running it. The minute you have to think about things from a business/managers' perspective (dealing with the stress of staff, paperwork etc.) - a lot of the "fun" goes out the window. Once he saw the other end of things and he realized this might not be for him.

Last edited: