You Can't Always Save The Day.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I decided to start this discussion here instead of hijacking an ongoing thread. I see the phrases of "Being a Hero", "Saving the day" "Making it happen" etc. being posted from time to time. I am a DJ not someone's Hero. For every event there are different responsibilities for all involved. As a DJ my responsibility is to provide music. I take this one step further by doing a Site Visit to ensure that nothing will impede my ability to setup and deliver said performance. It is also to have agreement on Power Source and setup arrangement.

The Client has a responsibility to me which is always clearly outlined in my agreement and that responsibility is to provide proper AC power as requested. Maybe someone else such as the Venue may have the final responsibility of making sure there is power. That agreement will be between them and the Client. It is really not my concern.

Will I do everything possible to help solve a problem? Of course I will but I certainly won't maneuver my way into the line of fire if something is not my fault. I have read where DJs talk about bringing generators in case of a power failure. I laugh at this because here in Houston, if there is a power failure, everyone has to evacuate the building. So a generator would be of little help.

If I specifically ask for certain power requirements and for whatever reason they are not provided, I am NOT going to take the heat for it. I also am not going to plug in my equipment into a faulty/inadequate power source and endanger my equipment. I also won't contribute to a risk of starting a fire because of circuit overload. Think about it, if you are playing music and suddenly the breaker goes because of overload, guess who gets the scruting? The DJ! Nobody stops to think that the venue had too many things plugged into the same circuit.

Again, I may assist to solve the problem, I won't stand there with my hands folded but I certainly not going to sweat it. I have walked out on situations before and went on to do business with the same people. They knew who was at fault! This is why if there is a generator to be used, I much prefer to have the client supply one per my specs. You may ask, why would I not want to supply it myself? Here is my answer. How many DJs carry around a backup generator in case the first one fails? ("OK Harry, how are we going to fit our Gear and two generators in our lil Mini Van?"). I would rather if the Generator fails, which they sometimes do, that I won't be responsible for bringing the Party music to an end.

As long as I show up on time to do my job is my main concern. The DJ or Band and Caterers are the ones who I see have the most critical demands on specific criteria. Sadly, a great many DJs make none. They show up hoping for the best. Some are afraid to ask for what they want, by the time they do, it is too late to make changes so they have to live with what is handed to them.

I have learned to do these things by seeking Professional and qualified advice from a Business Litigation Attorney. People like to issue blame and sue, so the more one limits themselves to be in the line of fire, the less one is likely to end up being the scapegoat. My contract is not pages and pages of "ifs" and "here is what to expect" and "what I will do". I see some contracts that read like a book! LOL A very important provision that I do have in my contract is the consequence of what may happen (Non Performance) if my criteria is not met as promised so I could deliver my performance.

So what is the question?
Did I ever state there was going to be one? Did you all by yourself come to the conclusion and assume there would be one? ;)

Do you feel better now, having typed all that...?

Quite frankly, it sounds like you don't want to take any responsibility for anything you do.

I may have a silver spoon somewhere, let me see if I can find it... ;)

If it has no question then may I ask what you are seeking with that rather long thread post?
My stance on my mode of operation. It seems that lots of people feel like they "Have" to save the day and make other feel guilty if they don't do the same. If the cake table topples over and it comes crashing to the floor will the DJ jump in his car and head to the nearest Bakery to buy another cake?

Do you feel better now, having typed all that...?

Quite frankly, it sounds like you don't want to take any responsibility for anything you do.

I may have a silver spoon somewhere, let me see if I can find it... ;)
Yes I do take responsibility for the things that are in my agreement. Why should I expose myself to scrutiny and litigation from responsibilities that do not belong to me? I will venture to say that if more acted the way I do then things will get done the right way in the beginning. One person's ineptness or lack of planning does not become my emergency!

I have a vested interest in keeping my client happy at a Wedding Reception.

If I noticed a leg was buckling on a Cake table would i just sit back or bring it to someones attention and possibly save the day?

If I noticed a young child getting ready to do some damage to the Wedding Cake would I just sit by and not do something?

If I saw a argument starting to brew between two guests might I not bring it to the attention of the Best Man and the F.O.B. to nip it in the bud before it escalates or would I just sit by and not do anything?

I have a vested interest in keeping my client happy at a Wedding Reception.

If I noticed a leg was buckling on a Cake table would i just sit back or bring it to someones attention and possibly save the day?

If I noticed a young child getting ready to do some damage to the Wedding Cake would I just sit by and not do something?

If I saw a argument starting to brew between two guests might I not bring it to the attention of the Best Man and the F.O.B. to nip it in the bud before it escalates or would I just sit by and not do anything?
Come on Cesar, you know perfectly well that is NOT what I meant. I did say I would help, not take over the situation. So now you twist the conversation to put me in a bad light so that the others can pounce on the irrelevant statement to convict me. Nice!

My stance on my mode of operation. It seems that lots of people feel like they "Have" to save the day and make other feel guilty if they don't do the same. If the cake table topples over and it comes crashing to the floor will the DJ jump in his car and head to the nearest Bakery to buy another cake?

Let's try an analogy to that...

Let's say a gal was getting mugged or raped, and you saw it happening. Are you going to call 911 and ask for cops to be sent, or are you going to intercede and handle it...?

Based upon your posts above, it sounds to me, that you would hide behind the curtains. That doesn't show much initiative or ability to adapt to a situation. If I were to walk into combat tomorrow, I would certainly not want you with me, because you would expect someone to load your weapon for you. ;)

Let's try an analogy to that...

Let's say a gal was getting mugged or raped, and you saw it happening. Are you going to call 911 and ask for cops to be sent, or are you going to intercede and handle it...?

Based upon your posts above, it sounds to me, that you would hide behind the curtains. That doesn't show much initiative or ability to adapt to a situation. If I were to walk into combat tomorrow, I would certainly not want you with me, because you would expect someone to load your weapon for you. ;)
You are comparing two different issues. I am not going to argue semantics with you. Again, you are trying to paint me in a bad light to cloud the issue at hand. Go back and read the post and you will find out that I do and could and would help when necessary but will not assume someone else responsibilities as mine.
Edit: Did you notice in my quote that you quoted..... that the issue was not prevention, that is, I did not say that I saw the table "About to fall". It had already toppled. Whose responsibility was it to find a remedy after that happened? Now you know why I say there is a major lack of comprehension on here.

Now you know why I say there is a major lack of comprehension on here.

I think the lack of comprehension is not on the rest of us -- I think the balls in your court... ;)

Canute, honestly it seems like you and pretty much everyone else are on the same page. I don't know of anybody here who just shows up and hopes for the best. I also doubt there are any here who just stand by and say "not my job". The way I take this is the subject is kinda like the spreading the speaker thing. You seem to rail on certain issues and don't even catch that others are in the boat with you. It's just that perhaps we all see certain aspects in varying degrees of importance.

Where did I put that popcorn?

It all comes down to a simple matter of risk and how much responsibility you are willing and able to undertake. The more responsibility you own the greater the reward. This presumes of course that you are competent enough to manage the responsibilities you take on.

Unfortunately many DJs simply bite of more than they can chew with uninformed attempts at things they really don't have any experience or expertise with. That is when someone else has to step in and be the hero.

Sometimes we are the hero of our own making. I've been there and done that.

I've lost count of the number of times I have taken gigs I shouldn't have because I didn't fully understand what the client wanted or the client did not fully disclose what they expected. Most of the time it was because I was not thorough enough in the interview.

I see nothing wrong with what you typed, but for me, after spending most of my working life in the service industry (being a DJ is a service) and over 21 years in the military, I find it my job to be the hero at times and I have no issues with that.