Weddings Yet Another Prospective Wedding Client Asked to See Me in Action

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Do I have to pull the posts FROM THIS THREAD up to show you the negatives, or can you find them yourself?

Or, am I misunderstanding you, again?

When people ask me this, It is easy to help them realize that most wedding dates that I would give them will probably not be a good night for them and most importantly would be far enough in advance that if they are using this to determine if they hire me, it will probably be too late by then.

They see that pretty clearly. If they don't I tell them that is a nice way of telling them I cannot invite them to someones wedding. However, in the case of the OP, you mentioned that they would like to "peek" in on you. I cannot stop anyone from peeking in on anything at a public hotel ballroom but how would they know where to peek in on me if I did not give them a date and location?

It is so easy to divert this thinking. Not even sure why it is asked on how to handle it. Still informative for those who really are starting off and have never faced this before though.

Most people only need about 15 seconds of an answer and move on to other questions.

I had another prospective wedding client call last night and one of her questions was if she could peek in on an event. Is there a website or magazine that is recommending stuff like this? I've been wondering where that question comes from. Typically, when I put it into the perspective of professionalism and the whole idea of well what if someone crashed her wedding, the point is taken. I'm just wondering where this idea comes from. :sqconfused::sqerr:

The idea does not necessarily come from anywhere other than people asking. It's a great idea if it can work but they do not see it the way we do until we educate them. Kinda like the way the cake people or food vendor does not take into account our needs as we do not take into account theirs. Simple really.

Who was asking how to handle it? (I think I missed something there, sorry.)

I asked where people might be getting such an idea from, because it seems like I have had more people ask recently. Some people suggested that bridal magazines and the Knot website still suggest this.

Does anybody else have any other thoughts on where this might be coming from? Wedding planners/consultants, perhaps? I doubt it's a WED Guild thing.

Thoughts?

Hmmmm, negatives of inviting people to visit somebody else's wedding, hmmmm ... How about these?

1. It is not your place to invite someone to someone else's party. Doing that is just plain old tacky.
2. It is a very formal event and they show up in cut-offs, tank tops, and flip-flops.
3. The first thing your prospects do is hit the bar.
4. The first thing your prospects do is hit the food line.
5. You're in the middle of introductions, they show up and interrupt.
6. The precious little darling they brought along starts running around the dance floor like a crazed lune.
7. The preciuous little darling they brought along decides to sample the wedding cake and destroys it.

And, the list goes on.

And now for some anecdotal evidence...

One venue in these parts that is still on my black list invites their prospective clients in to visit a wedding in progress. All of the above has been experienced at this venue.

Ducky I see things revolve constantly next week they will be asking for Chocolate fountains again. I think its likely just a natural cycle. Like tips. I do 10 gigs get 7 tips and the next 20 I get nothing. Mind you I dont expect one I perform the same from one gig to the next. Tips are pleasant surprises. I go many gigs with various first dance songs and then suddenly nothing but one for five or 6 events. I believe you will see in the next little bit it vanish as quickly as it came in. IF you want answers on how to deal with this please start another thread LOL.

I asked where people might be getting such an idea from, because it seems like I have had more people ask recently. Some people suggested that bridal magazines and the Knot website still suggest this.

Does anybody else have any other thoughts on where this might be coming from? Wedding planners/consultants, perhaps? I doubt it's a WED Guild thing.

Thoughts?

Well, the how to handle it question came about from various assumptions made through posts.

Now, where is it coming from? Misinformed writers of wedding articles and clueless self proclaimed experts.

Do I have to pull the posts FROM THIS THREAD up to show you the negatives, or can you find them yourself?

Or, am I misunderstanding you, again?

Negatives of VIDEO!!!! We were talking about video. Please keep up.

I swear that is it for this thread. No one can follow the discussion it gets frustrating having to type things again and again.

Mike

Hmmmm, negatives of inviting people to visit somebody else's wedding, hmmmm ... How about these?

1. It is not your place to invite someone to someone else's party. Doing that is just plain old tacky.
2. It is a very formal event and they show up in cut-offs, tank tops, and flip-flops.
6. The precious little darling they brought along starts running around the dance floor like a crazed lune.
7. The preciuous little darling they brought along decides to sample the wedding cake and destroys it.

And, the list goes on.

One venue in these parts that is still on my black list invites their prospective clients in to visit a wedding in progress. All of the above has been experienced at this venue.

Please, please, please keep up, we are talking about the negatives of video. Not of invitations.

Mike

Thoughts?

I was not addressing just your OP. Most replies on a thread take a life of their own and do not always stay exact and true to the OP. Most of this thread before my post were dealing with this and much more than your first question and post.

Please, please, please keep up, we are talking about the negatives of video. Not of invitations.

Mike

Hmmmm... Negatives of video... None that I can think of.

I have a Sony camera that does both still and video. I use it at most events to take video. I have several DVDs that I take to interviews that have examples of our work at the event, montages that we've produced, and photos. That usually closes the sale.

Mike:

These conversations sometimes go in multiple directions... why don't YOU keep up. And realize YOU'RE not the only one in a discussion, nor are you controlling, or directing it.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who misunderstood your post. Thanks for biting my head off, simply to ask for a clarification.

I put "Mike" on this post, so it's clear who I'm addressing and what I'm talking about. More clarity on your part would be appreciated.

Hmmmm... Negatives of video... None that I can think of.

I have a Sony camera that does both still and video. I use it at most events to take video. I have several DVDs that I take to interviews that have examples of our work at the event, montages that we've produced, and photos. That usually closes the sale.

That was the point. :sqerr:

Mike

Mike:

These conversations sometimes go in multiple directions... why don't YOU keep up. And realize YOU'RE not the only one in a discussion, nor are you controlling, or directing it.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who misunderstood your post. Thanks for biting my head off, simply to ask for a clarification.

I put "Mike" on this post, so it's clear who I'm addressing and what I'm talking about. More clarity on your part would be appreciated.

That is why I quote posts that I am responding to. So these misunderstandings don't happen. But that would require people to actually read the quoted post before responding.

I can't be any more clear, but I will file your request in the proper place.

Mike

And, the list goes on.

But my original post still stands.

Thoughts?
Well Ducky,

That is why this a discussion forum and not a Q & A repository. Topics should be allowed to develope and evolve because it facilitates and fosters information exchange.

Imagine how boring the following chronolgy would be:

DJ Ducky said:
Does anybody else have any other thoughts on where this might be coming from? Wedding planners/consultants, perhaps?

djrox said:
Reply #1
The Knot.

GoodKnightDJ said:
Reply #2
Bridal Magazine.

Bill Clinton said:

ANYONE said:
Reply #4
blah....

Nothing but typing. Kinda boring

Wanna bet?:sqwink:

Two things were being compared. I wasn't clear on which of those two things were being commented on. The answer would make 180 degrees of difference. Hence, my question. Sorry.

ummm oh yea here is an example

What would you guys think of this question (which I often ask):

Tell me about an event where everything didn't go perfect, what did you do to fix the situation?

Can you provide a reference where everything didn't go perfectly as planned?

Mike

Well once I had a drunk purpously knock down my light stand and smash $400 in lights so I fixed it by putting him in a wrist lock taking out his wallet and removing the $130.00 in cash that he had.
So do I get the job?:sqbiggrin: