Weddings WWYD: Bride has "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" as Must Play

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
G

I was checking through the music requests for an upcoming wedding and saw "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" on the must play list. I'll share what I did later but what would you do?

I'd roll with it regardless and who knows, you may get some Top Gun action going on.

Just roll with it, there's a lot more offensive/inappropriate songs out there that get played all the time. In the scheme of things this song is nothing to get my panties all in a bunch.

Years ago, I saw a wedding coordinator get all the groomsmen around the bride and sing the song.
It's usually an 80's white boy yuppie college thing. They did the same thing at my nieces wedding two years ago and these guys couldn't be more yuppieish. It's not as of a big deal as Tom it trying to make out of it to be. Simple really, the bride is paying you to play music. Play the damn music and zip it. You don't want to play then give them their money back so they can find a DJ who works for the client.

I don't save my comments for later. You get them right up front.:sqwink:

Unless she wants it for her first dance song then who cares. Probably 90% of music could be interpreted as inappropriate somehow by someone. The client pays us to play what they want and this song probably has some underlying meaning which i will go out on a limb and say has a humorous touch to it.
As much as I hate to do this i'm standing with Auger on this one, play the damn song or send them to someone who will.

young...

Unless she wants it for her first dance song then who cares. Probably 90% of music could be interpreted as inappropriate somehow by someone. The client pays us to play what they want and this song probably has some underlying meaning which i will go out on a limb and say has a humorous touch to it.
As much as I hate to do this i'm standing with Auger on this one, play the damn song or send them to someone who will.

young...
Even if she does want it for her first dance song, who cares. It's her dance not yours.:sqwink:

And hey, what the hell did I do to you lately? I'm sure I did something, I just like to know.:sqrolleyes: Was it that Wasaga gay beach thing?:sqerr:

My concern was for the lyrics and this being a song that may not be appropriate for a wedding. Many times people just don't pay attention to lyrics and what is meant behind them. I gave her a heads up

Alexis:

I just noticed that "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" by The Righteous Brothers is on your must play list. While this is a great song for any other occasion, it is not recommended for a wedding. Here are the lyrics:

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips.
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips.
You're trying hard not to show it, (baby).
But baby, baby I know it...

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes
when I reach for you.
And now your're starting to critisize little things I do.
It makes me just feel like crying, (baby).
'Cause baby, something in you is dying.

You lost that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...woooooah

Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a love...a love...a love you don't find everyday.

So don't...don't...don't...don't let it slip away.

Baby (baby), baby (baby),
I beg of you please...please,
I need your love (I need your love),
I need your love (I need your love),
So bring it on back (So bring it on back),
Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that lovin' feeling,
Whoa, that lovin' feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone...gone,
and I can't go on,
noooo...

Whoa, that lovin' feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone...

Basically it is saying that your love is over. I'll play it if you really want me to.

Tom

And her reply:

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the info!

Also, I definitely know that "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is NOT a wedding song, but thanks for the heads up.

It's more of a Navy/Top Gun thing, that I'm sure some of the guys will request anyway, so I just wanted to give you the go-ahead to play it. Maybe play it later in the night after everyone has had a few drinks and they will all be singing along, trust me!!

I look forward to speaking with you.

Best,

Alexis

So the Top Gun folks were right.

In cases like this I think it is better to check in with the client. Sometimes they just don't know the lyrics.

Even if she does want it for her first dance song, who cares. It's her dance not yours.:sqwink:

And hey, what the hell did I do to you lately? I'm sure I did something, I just like to know.:sqrolleyes: Was it that Wasaga gay beach thing?:sqerr:

I was just making sure to keep you on alert Auger.:sqwink: You're alright in my books. :sqlaugh:

young...

In cases like this I think it is better to check in with the client. Sometimes they just don't know the lyrics.

I agree, to an extent. With a title like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling", there's really no explanation required. Plus, the song is 45 years old... it was the most-played song in the 20th century according to BMI. Everybody and their dog knows it. Some of us even wish it was gone... gone... gone...

The only time I've ever had to alert a client to their song choice was with Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me". The bride and groom had taken ballroom dance lessons for a time and this was one of the songs the instructor used in class. Appropriate for a first dance? Well, no. They chose something different after I mentioned that it wasn't the best choice.

It was requested at the last reception I had, and all the groomsmen and college buddies did the Top-Gun routine.

Since we have a lot of military here in Jax, this routine is requested all the time.
Nothing improper about it.

young...

What if it is opposite day?

Actually had a Naval aviator as a groom and they wanted it as a joke. I got a chair and had the Bride sit in it and gathered the guys aound her. (did not tell them this was coming) just went with my gut.
It was HUGE. The hoots and hollers and the photographer who loved it.
It was great.

I play this song at almost all my weddings....just before the garter/bouquet toss. I gather all the men...married men...single men....engaged men...just men. Have them take a knee...tell them that today the bride (use her name) is now officially off the market ....the men groan...I tell them we need to let her know how this makes us feel...so its time to serenade her...play song. The men get into it....just play the first first and chorus.

As soon as I fade it I tell them to stay on thier knee...I need only the married men to stand right now....once they do I dismiss the married men...only men on floor are single and now we are ready for the garter removal and toss.

And yes the bride/groom know I do this.

Actually had a Naval aviator as a groom and they wanted it as a joke. I got a chair and had the Bride sit in it and gathered the guys aound her. (did not tell them this was coming) just went with my gut.
It was HUGE. The hoots and hollers and the photographer who loved it.
It was great.

You mean like this. :sqrolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_2091.jpg
    100_2091.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1