Would Your Raise Your Rates. And If so how High

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
What I always ask is when you're raising your rates, do you have, are you marketing to the clients who can afford or desire your services? Let's say I wanted to sell gold plated Pacifier, somebody does but I don't have the clients, way to reach them or the know how to implement a social media campaign to sensibly move into that market. I am not saying to raise your rates or not to raise your rates but you really have to have a detailed implementable way to do it. Maybe it will require totally reinventing business. For each person will be totally different. I know for myself when I wanted to get deep into the Video Dance Party Arena I raised my rates 3x because that was what the normal pricing was. But that required me to go after totally different clients, expand regionally, network in totally different circles & deal with agents to get into places I couldn't without them. What I didn't do was, change my base clients, at least at first. I researched to find out who was the trendsetters were where I wanted go, what they offered, who their clients were and went after them with a improved offering.

BTW, speaking of "raising your rates"..........I just lowered mine.........for a single bride. She's getting married in 2 weeks, on a Monday (10/15) and her DJ called and told her "I'm going thru a divorce and can't mentally handle it." The guy was actually going to charge her 40%, just to get a copy of the online planner she'd already filled out. She said $675 was what she was going to pay him. I told her I was $850, and she was willing to back to mom to get approval, but I just told her, "I've got you covered."

Are you getting more events since you lowered your price than before? What is a good thing is when you do less events but make more money. You don't have to work as hard or as much to possibly get to the goal you want.

r from clients who booked me 5 yrs ago and need me for something else (just happened with a sweet 16 client whose daughters package was $1400 and now the same package was $2750...

Don't kid yourself. It's not the same package it was 5 years ago. Even if all the toys are identical - you have become something different.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Don't kid yourself. It's not the same package it was 5 years ago. Even if all the toys are identical - you have become something different.

Perhaps, and yes, his service is much more polished than what it was in 2013. However, He is still TASO. The same person they booked at $1,400 just 5 years ago. Most people can't rationalize paying pretty much DOUBLE for the same person/service/product compared to what they got 5 years back.

Now in Taso's case, he probably brings more to the table compared to 5 years ago, BUT the client likely won't see it that way. Dollar for Dollar the cumulative rate for inflation is about 8.2% since 2013. In the customer's mind they can rationalize paying $1,515, and probably even $1,600 to $1,650 considering they probably really want him back for the same exact package they had 5 years ago, but asking them to pay $2,750 today compared to what they booked him at before is a very tall order, and the normal/typical client probably doesn't have the expendable income to shell out 95% more money on a DJ and/or they are going to just be unwilling to do it, and may even think that Taso is gouging his price asking for double what they paid 5 years ago. ...If it had been 20 years between events, or even 15 or 16 years I think a case can be made for charging double what they paid before, but in 5 short years, very few things and services have doubled in price out there.

Taso is just marketing and targeting a new clientele that has more expendable income, and perceives the high end DJ as a top priority for their event.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
BTW, speaking of "raising your rates"..........I just lowered mine.........for a single bride. She's getting married in 2 weeks, on a Monday (10/15) and her DJ called and told her "I'm going thru a divorce and can't mentally handle it." The guy was actually going to charge her 40%, just to get a copy of the online planner she'd already filled out. She said $675 was what she was going to pay him. I told her I was $850, and she was willing to back to mom to get approval, but I just told her, "I've got you covered."

For week day events, I offer a 40% discount off of my regular weekend wedding price unless it's a holiday. If push comes to shove, and I really want to book the client, I will negotiate that discounted price a bit more. Of course, I don't have a regular 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday week day job, and I look at week day events as GRAVY money that wasn't included in my business plan to begin with.

Monday wedding for $675 and not over a 60 mile drive each way.... I'll take that every Monday I can if the opportunity arises! ...$675 on a In Season Saturday? ...No Thank you! (Unless it's an open Saturday 3 weeks out, and I need to book it...then I'll take it, but that is super rare) :)

Speaking of 2013...That was an awesome year for me. I was actually looking through my archive pictures. I did a lot of nice paying weddings in 2013. If I could book the same amount of weddings I did in 2013, but at my 2019 price for 2019, I would be a very happy camper!

2015 was the only year I did better than 2013, and that was only because I managed to book a couple of high paying holiday parties in December of 2015 that put me over the top. 2013 was a good year because a lot of Millennial who were holding out during the recession to get married finally decided to set a date in 2013 to get married, and it ended up being a pretty darn busy year. ...Then 2014 felt like a small decline because of the 2013 surge in weddings, but wasn't bad overall.

Perhaps, and yes, his service is much more polished than what it was in 2013. However, He is still TASO. The same person they booked at $1,400 just 5 years ago. Most people can't rationalize paying pretty much DOUBLE for the same person/service/product compared to what they got 5 years back.

Now in Taso's case, he probably brings more to the table compared to 5 years ago, BUT the client likely won't see it that way. Dollar for Dollar the cumulative rate for inflation is about 8.2% since 2013. In the customer's mind they can rationalize paying $1,515, and probably even $1,600 to $1,650 considering they probably really want him back for the same exact package they had 5 years ago, but asking them to pay $2,750 today compared to what they booked him at before is a very tall order, and the normal/typical client probably doesn't have the expendable income to shell out 95% more money on a DJ and/or they are going to just be unwilling to do it, and may even think that Taso is gouging his price asking for double what they paid 5 years ago. ...If it had been 20 years between events, or even 15 or 16 years I think a case can be made for charging double what they paid before, but in 5 short years, very few things and services have doubled in price out there.

Taso is just marketing and targeting a new clientele that has more expendable income, and perceives the high end DJ as a top priority for their event.

The inflation rate is completely irrelevant when it comes to a talent industry. You've made this comparison before about whether our costs have gone up or down. Also irrelevant. Demand and scarcity can drive up prices on anything, and has no correlation on inflation. Taso has created both.

If you're "just another DJ" that is interchangeable with no consequence to the client, then yes, you might be viewed that way.

You said one of the best things ever at the end. His target today are people who have that kind of money to spend and look at the DJ being a top priority and not someone saying anybody can do that.

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
The inflation rate is completely irrelevant when it comes to a talent industry. You've made this comparison before about whether our costs have gone up or down. Also irrelevant. Demand and scarcity can drive up prices on anything, and has no correlation on inflation. Taso has created both.

If you're "just another DJ" that is interchangeable with no consequence to the client, then yes, you might be viewed that way.

The client won't see that a DJ's demand has gone up. Nor will they really understand that in 5 years time.

Taso's target client is for the most part not the same clients who were booking him at $1,000 to $1,400 price range 5+ years ago. It's just that simple. The ones who booked him that far back at a much lower price, and then are booking him today are DOUBLE or near it are the ones who have the expendable income to do so.

The podcast we do plays the songs from a band that use to do shows for $200 a night at local bars just a few years ago. Now that same band has a record deal, tours nationally, and charges $2,000 to start to do a local show. ...All the places that use to book them in their earlier days simply don't bring them in any more because they simply can't afford them. They would LOVE to have them back to play there, but simply can't dish out, or are unwilling to dish out $2,000 to $2,500 for them to play there.

It's also a perception issue with just about any product. If you paid $50,000 for a Cadillac brand new loaded with all the options in 2013, and then after 5 years you consider the same model vehicle, and notice that they now cost $95,000 with similar options, would you honestly be willing to shell out near double to have the same car again? ...I know I would not. And I would not care if the car is in short demand. I'm not going to pay almost double because of that. I'll find another car which I am comfortable with at a price point I am comfortable paying.

I'm in the hospital and had to make this post before going to sleep. Taso made a great point once to me. The reason that he can get paid that kind of money is because the people that are paying him that kind of money are having their event in high class venues where it may cost for example 20k as a starting price to have an event there. Those people spending that kind of money are looking for a budget DJ to do their event to save money. They are looking for the best or near the best and willing to pay for it. Goodnight.

So there's some speculation of how things have transitioned which in some instances are true, and some are false, and some are just speculation.

Yes, Pro is in a sense very much correct... the equipment is virtually the same, give or take some minor upgrades that few clients would notice, but the presentation and style has gone through a lot of changes to become an even more polished and unique experience. I also have a much better understanding of my clients needs than I did back then and the planning process is a more refined and personlized experience giving each customer a unique experience tailored to them.

Ricky, as Ross said, a talent's pricing is based on demand and scarcity. I brand myself simply as "DJ Taso" (it literally is called dj taso llc lol), and that there is nothing that can duplicate what I do... imitate absolutely, but it'll never be the same... or so I brand myself. This adds demand and because I market to specific events with event minimums and a certain number of events a year, I portray that I am hard to book (every time I book a client I blast it on facebook and isntagram... it works, as it creates fear of missing out). It is up to the client how much their willing to pay to get me. I am dealing with weddings and sweet 16's often that won't book the venue without my availability... and they never ask for a discount anymore. Last month I booked a client who went to a venue and told them they're booking me, and the venue said Oh if u book our dj we'll give you an extra food station included... the client said no my daughter wants DJ Taso, and they tried again to sweeten the deal (I think they have some exclusivity with the dj and get a kickback), by then the client was annoyed and said that clearly they don't respect their vision and left. The owner tried multiple times to contact the client but by then the client booked elsewhere.

Over the years, I've transitioned clientele without a doubt... the biggest transition was going from 90% sweet 16's in 2012 and 2013 to 60% weddings in 2018. This only made me appear even more exclusive as theres a certain image that a "wedding dj" has as opposed to a generic dj. The client who didn't book me this time around got me at a period when I was booking all sorts of events, and cared more about quantity than purely quality, despite the fact that my prices were increasing. She was a client who cared about quality to a point, but budget mattered more, and her budget no longer aligned with my services. She probably contacted a competitor who has multiple dj's and offered one at a much lower rate to accommodate her budget and get the date filled. It's probably a $1000-$1200 dj... not cheap for a sweet 16, but definitely doesn't do what I do. However, there are just as many examples of client who have booked me again despite the price difference being significant. The most recent example was a client who booked me in 2013 for $1900 and now booked me for $4500... the $1900 package was actually $3500 now, but she added more stuff this time around. They value entertainment, respected that I was much more in demand, and had seen me over the years to know that my product is significantly better now than then (even though it was still good then by the standards of most). I have booked some clients for 3 different sweet 16's spanned over many years and each one had gotten a price increase, but with some discount in play as a courtesy for being used 3 times. Then there are clients who booked me for Sweet 16's at $1000 8yrs ago, and recently booked me for Weddings $3000 and $4000. Like I said it's hit or miss, but the general consensus that my circle of clients has changed is pretty accurate.

Mix, while I wish you the very best with your surgery... I unfortunately once again have to correct you. While I do work often in High End venues... I also often work in venues that are rather cheap. Just this past weekend I worked 2 sweet 16's at a total value of around $8.5k, where the venues were church community centers, with cheap food, and DIY centerpieces. I literally cost more than everything else combined. The clients wanted to give their daughters the best experience possible, but believed that the great experience would be provided by the dj (and were willing to splurge on that) and not the venue or fancy cakes or food and centerpieces. That's their view and that's totally fine by me... I only need to find clients that value entertainment and have the budgets for it. Yes, clients choosing fancy venues are more likely to have larger spending budgets in general... but there are many clients who book $60k venues at $300 a plate for 200 guests, and will book an $800-$1200 dj. Those same venues will give you horror stories of dj's doing a wedding for the first time and the mater di has to actually do the introductions bc the dj never had done them before and was uncomfortable. Don't let fancy venues assume a client has a big budget. They probably just preferred to show off by having the nice venue and food but went cheap on other things that they didn't care for.

In the end... raising prices requires a game plan. It is a risk, and takes time, and in a way is essentially like starting over. While I was doing it, I knew where to discount just to gain new clientele, and where to stick to my guns because I knew that circle of clients knew what I was capable of doing for their event. If you don't have much of a word of mouth clientele yet and a strong reputation, along with strong marketing materials, then chances are you're not quite ready to make big jumps in your pricing.

Taso thanks for that post. You said you do at times work in a place that is not expensive to rent and they want you. How often in a year does that happen? You told us about the exception not the rule. Lastly if we're talking about a client, some just see what we do as we only are going to play music, what's the big deal? Then when it comes to the DJ, how dedicated is the DJ to polishing their craft so they can get better?

Personally I practiced long and hard to home my skills. Especially when it comes to mixing music and not just playing one song after another.

Ricky, what makes you and Taso different is that he simply says: "yes, I can" and you pretend to read people's minds to say what is essentially: "No, I can't."

You said one of the best things ever at the end. His target today are people who have that kind of money to spend and look at the DJ being a top priority and not someone saying anybody can do that.

Those "people" are not his target, those are the people he has already attracted...
through hard work, aggressive marketing, repeat customers, and sheer talent.
Taso's clients don't care whether anyone else can do what he does...
they KNOW what he is capable of, and don't bother looking for someone else.

You make it sound simple, but it's not.
He didn't just "target" higher end clients, and they magically appeared.

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
The REPEAT client won't see that a DJ's demand has gone up. Nor will they really understand that in 5 years time.

Fixed that for you. The clients who don't understand Taso's value would repeat people, who saw his earlier pricing. It's going to be hard to justify it to them and in most cases, you just have to write them off as lost and move on to a new opportunity with people who are just discovering you for the first time AND that see the value in your polished presentation.

Those "people" are not his target, those are the people he has already attracted...
through hard work, aggressive marketing, repeat customers, and sheer talent.
Taso's clients don't care whether anyone else can do what he does...
they KNOW what he is capable of, and don't bother looking for someone else.

You make it sound simple, but it's not.
He didn't just "target" higher end clients, and they magically appeared.
It's hard work and dedication that has him where he's at. I never said it was easy. I was trying to convince Rick to hang in there the payoff would be worth it. He told us he doesn't have the time to wait 18 months for things to work. He's counting on money right now.

Fixed that for you. The clients who don't understand Taso's value would repeat people, who saw his earlier pricing. It's going to be hard to justify it to them and in most cases, you just have to write them off as lost and move on to a new opportunity with people who are just discovering you for the first time AND that see the value in your polished presentation.

If that's the case then why do I have customers who pay $800 and $17,000 in the same year? How did I grow repeat clients from $1,800 two years ago to $5,000 today? Why did the woman who paid me $250 to DJ one event book me the next week at $895 for another?

This psychological block does not belong to the customer. You (the DJ) are creating this road block all on your own and then trying to pass the blame.

We don't become more valuable simply because we've aged, or time has passed. Economic Inflation does not apply to DJs because what we do gets easier and cheaper every year. Hell, my startup cost was $0 in 1983 and now people will pay you to be trained. :)

Reactions: Albatross

I agree.