Would You Respond Like This?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TheOlogee

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 4, 2011
Texas
www.idjdfw.com
"Question:
HELLO MY NAME IS TONY AND I WAS WONDERING FROM WHAT TIME WILL YOU NEED THE DJ AT YOUR EVENT AND HOW MANY HOURS.WILL IT BE INDOORS OR OUT.WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU WANTING.AND HOW MANY POEPLE WILL ATTEND"

Just saw this question from another DJ to a wedding prospect. At first thought my opinion was this is NOT the way to address a potential customer however the prospect responded which tells me he has a shot.

I admit the all caps got my attention so there may be some method to this guys madness though I will continue to stick with using the appropriate case, grammar, and spelling.

The message itself is fine its how it was delivered. Would any of you respond like this?

Reactions: 1 person
A little too informal in language .. sounds like someone "stretching" to handle a wedding.

You've got to be kidding. You thought the message was "fine"? I can't imagine anyone, at any price, thinking that someone who communicates like this, would be someone they wanted to DJ their wedding.

I think the questions were fair. Just not how he went about it. He was responding to a Thumbtack wedding DJ request with only a date and no other details or phone.

You've got to be kidding. You thought the message was "fine"? I can't imagine anyone, at any price, thinking that someone who communicates like this, would be someone they wanted to DJ their wedding.
You ever stop to think that the person who is receiving the reply thinks and writes the same way? Same reason why rowdy beer drinkers may hire a DJ who has an untidy setup. They don't care!

Reactions: 6 people
has nothing to do with kidding Rick.there is a time and place and state of communication in todays society.not everyone does the "proper english" detail.depending on ones location and clientele,the language may vary from proper english as we know it.you may not want to take a gig with someone who communicates that way but others will and you would be surprised.

Reactions: 2 people
You ever stop to think that the person who is receiving the reply thinks and writes the same way? Same reason why rowdy beer drinkers may hire a DJ who has an untidy setup. They don't care!

Actually, I was thinking the question was from someone who didn't speak English all that well.
Perhaps the prospective client has a foreign heritage as well.
Even if it is just New-Tech-Speak that us old farts cannot understand...
It's still a pretty sloppy way to do business.

(Little b*stard probably gets more work than all of us)

Reactions: 3 people

I can judge from my own prospects that there are some who would fit the category you mentioned. However, from a business perspective, that horribly-written business communication will end up costing the writer a major percentage of his/her prospects. Prospects respond to being made to feel comfortable and clear, concise and friendly communication works. The again, maybe he goes through an booking agent.......;)

...and maybe his revenue is 50% or less than some of us :p.

My life is run by Murphy's Law.
If I am doing everything I can, the best way I know how...and squeaking by...
Murphy's Law would dictate that a little slacker like that is speeding by on cruise control.
:eek:

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry he was shouting - wouldnt read it!

100% agree....no way is that professional in any way.