Would You Mentor A Young(er) DJ?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
I was suggesting to a father whose son wanted to become a mobile DJ, that he find a local DJ who would allow his son to assist, in order to learn a little about the business. The father is planning to spend a lot of money on high end gear, but I think it would be wise to see if the son is actually going to be willing to do all the not so fun stuff that comes with being a mobile DJ. It’s HARD work sometimes, as we all know. I wish I had been able to apprentice with a good local DJ before starting my business.

The question is; would YOU be willing to mentor a young DJ knowing he/she would soon become your competition?

Has anyone done so (mentored someone who later started DJing on their own)? If so, please share your stories.

I'm mentoring my son now. He's just about at the point to be able to take over. As for non-family, I would mentor IF there's some payback for me. If it's just a matter of helping someone become my competitor out of the goodness of my heart, forget it.

I'm mentoring my son now. He's just about at the point to be able to take over. As for non-family, I would mentor IF there's some payback for me. If it's just a matter of helping someone become my competitor out of the goodness of my heart, forget it.

Of course we’d all do anything for our own kids... Would we help someone else’s?... That’s a little different, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ausumm
I’m currently training my son now. He has karaoke down and how to play Music. But I haven’t taught him how to actually DJ ( Mix, music selection & etc). He’ll only be working with me until college. My daughter worked with me thru High School/College but now she working her career position. So no time for dad, she wants the big bucks. I might go work for her as I seen some of her companies benefits. I’ve trained quite a few people over the years many have started their own DJ businesses. And we worked together doing a events where they were lead & I was the assistant. I was also station manager of the college radio station so I had to train DJs there too. I’ll try to come up with some stories a little later, heading out to a event now. But one thing I found is with young people it’s hard to hold their interests, it’s seems they always have something Else to do. And those who are not already DJs are the easiest to train. Mainly you get to laydown a good foundations and not have to get them to change the way they are already doing things.

I would absolutely mentor somebody.

The number of gigs I get from other DJs, and having a network of DJs is not insignificant. And I'm happy to have good people to refer to when I get an inquiry for a date I'm busy.

It's not always easy, but I try to operate from an abundance mentality. I think there are plenty of gigs out there for good DJs. Most of us have had other professionals help us and shape our career path. Be a force for good, not trying to keep someone that has enthusiasm down.

Look at a community like this even... a guy like Taso doesn't need to be here sharing his insight with us. He doesn't appear threatened by sharing what he does, and he could easily keep all of that information to himself. DJs that give freely into the community... I'm sure it comes back to them in one form or another.

Does making snarky comments on Facebook and ODJT count as mentoring?

I agree with Ross.

I would train someone to DJ.

However, The person would have to come to me. They would have to show a lot of eagerness, and be willing to commit time to it. They literally need to be like Luke Skywalker when he went to Yoda, and was persistent on asking Yoda o train him the ways of the force!

I will be up front with them and tell them I would only be training them in the way that I do things. I may not be a good person to go to if they want to learn scratch techniques, and be a scratch DJ or make mash ups to put online for people to listen to.

However, I can show them how to be a good DJ and make money doing private weddings and parties in this area. I can also educate them on setting up lights, and the RGB codes etc.

I have had nobody come to me like this, and the few I tried to take on as assistants/roadies never got past day 1 in the past.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat

I guess it depends on the comments, but generally I’d say NOT![emoji1]

But what I’m really talkin’ about is having someone go out on gigs with you, and showing them the ropes.[emoji4]

I mentored many, many IT folks, but would not make a good mentor for a young DJ for lots of reasons... First and foremost I haven’t been doing it very long my own self, so I’m still learning. I’m OLD, and will likely have to quit DJing before I ever get as good as I’d like to be.

I could show someone how to set up a PA system and use DJ software and stuff like that, but I don’t play the music or events a young DJ would play. So I would advise a young aspiring DJ to find a MUCH younger DJ to mentor them... if there was one willing.[emoji4]

I was mentored by older djs (two of them), and now have been mentoring two under my belt. They’re young (20 and 22), and while not quite ready to take on the big events, they’re light years ahead of me at their age. I don’t feel threatened by them in Any way. Even the guys that mentored me, as I broke off on my own, I attracted a completely different crowd than them.

I had been a pretty lame dj for a couple years allready...lol...but then i was mentored by a club dj at around 19 or 20... and wow did it open my eyes to so much about our skillset.... and yes i DID carry his records and lug turntable cases and monitors up staircases and all that fun stuff... i was so excited to learn i woulda washed his car too...but luckily he wasnt too evil...hahaha

but yes...i would and have mentored.... but they definitely have to bring a certain attitude...and yearning for the job... which seems to be absent from a lot of the youth i see today.

Sidenote...in the 90s i was briefly involved in a local after school program at a community center...where they taught the fundamentals of hip hop to kids to keep them off the streets.... though one of those fundamentals is graffiti... they provided a safe place to do so as art.... they also taught dj'ing...which was where i and others came in... it was a nice experience and helped a lot of kids... though highly underfunded...

cc

To some, no doubt, Yes!

To others, it's just damn fun.

Would You Mentor A Young(er) DJ?
I have and would again, for another deserving individual.

The beauty in mentor-ship is that truly worthwhile and appreciative mentees have a propensity to become truly valuable friends.

Reactions: djcrazychris
I was mentored by one of the top guys in TX when I was in High School, and would absolutely help a young aspiring DJ out. I have attempted to teach many guys interested in DJing the basic of mixing with 1-hour sessions for as long as they wish.... just to get them started.

my mentor "mr miagi'd" me.... he gave me one of these

TallyChrome_LG.jpg

and pointed at my record collection... said... before u do anything... get a watch....and click to the beat...at the one minute mark you will have your correct bmp.... get a piece of tape and write that bpm on it... put that tape on the top right corner of your record sleeve... do that for every record you play... and then come see me when your done...

i did it...

the rest is Christory

cc

i should also point out that my mentor introduced me to cocaine as well... so please please take great care at choosing or being a good mentor in life as well as djing...lol

cc

Great mentor....bad role model ;)

Nobody mentored me. I began to DJ late in life, but I was way ahead of most "young" DJ in that I already knew what to play for the "older" folk. My choice of weapons was the Wedding Reception. I learned about contracts from the short stint that I worked for a multi-op. But the real teacher was reading Mobile Beat magazine back in the late 90's. Great collection of articles on "how to" prepare Reception Programs and choices of songs for the various "special" dances. But the biggest advantage was having the music...and knowing when to play songs following a song request that were in the same ballpark. I was always current with what was playing on the radio, which was a great selling point and the very broad music library that I had amassed from the 50's - to 80's (country included). And, joining a DJ Group helped immensely. Got way ahead of myself.

Several years ago (2013) I made friends with a young fellow who worked at Guitar Center. He was interested in creating music mixes and club djing. I needed roadie help for an event that was coming up, so I asked him if he was interested. He agreed. After shadowing me a few events, I asked if he wanted to share an event with me...I play cocktail and dinner music and he would play the dance segment. Military balls have quite a few privates and corporals who want to cut loose on the dance floor along with those young lieutenants, too. I let him take over after a few songs. He definitely enjoyed himself...and the Cash I gave him for helping out. It wasn't long before I had a large wedding reception that would last about 6 hours (standard 4 and projected 2 hr. O.T.). He was amazed at the variety of non-pop music I played for cocktails and dinner and dancing. Once the 4 hours were up most of the older people left and what was left were the young people. I turned him loose and sat back and watched the crowd enjoy his music selection. They even asked for a 3rd O.T. set. At the end gave me a $200 tip (I split that with him) along with the roadie fee promised. We did a few more events together and then he and his wife and child moved back to New York. He learned the wedding reception flow and special music. I learned that I didn't care to beat-mix at my late age. My software automatically flowed from one song to the other without dead space. I was happy then and now.
My 2 cents!

Last edited:
I was supposed to me "mentored" when I started at the multi op.
The owner was a local legend, and took me on with NO experience because the company was incredibly busy.

He put me to work right away...
but he and I were so busy, that he never got the chance to take me to a gig and train me.
But we did talk about gigs a lot, and he gave me tons of great advice...
so maybe that was him being a mentor.

As for me...I probably would not.
Because I feel that it's a very personality-driven profession.
I certainly don't feel that the way I do things...is not the ONLY way, or the BEST way to do it.
And I think it's best to learn the basic functions.....
and then go out and "find" your own way.