Would you consider doing this wedding?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I remember a lady where I used to work telling me she wished I was the DJ for her cousins wedding because the DJ had the music so loud that when the music wasn't playing her ears were ringing. She said the room wasn't that big, so the music didn't need to be that loud. One of my best compliments I ever got because they knew I would have known what to do.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
This thread is a perfect example of why we need to stop playing the "how much do you charge" game.
There are WAY too many variables to judge all of us on the same scale.

Normally I agree with you 100%... with exception to Mix. Mix and I are in the same general location and have access to the same exact markets. In fact, he is significantly closer to the nicer NJ venues than I am. Where as my drive to most of those venues in North Jersey are 45min- 1hr, he is around 15-30 minutes away. Generally speaking in NJ and where we are from, dj's that are $1700+ are top tier, $1000-$1700 mid tier, and under $1000 is kinda the low end, basic equipment, part time, may or may not show up kinda guy. Mix barely charges $350-$500... where does that put him lol?

Sorry but I don't see it being through the roof because of the restrictions on volume. I'm not use to the volume being that low at a wedding when it's time to get people up dancing. Unless the venue has this restriction.

I remember a lady where I used to work telling me she wished I was the DJ for her cousins wedding because the DJ had the music so loud that when the music wasn't playing her ears were ringing. She said the room wasn't that big, so the music didn't need to be that loud. One of my best compliments I ever got because they knew I would have known what to do.

I have been to places that I would not like to work again. Either the load in and out were super tough, the staff not very friendly or they had a bunch of restrictions that the DJ had to go by. Such as the venue controlling the level of the volume the DJ could play at. I feel that is short changing the client and the crowd coming there to have a good time.

I'm confused.

Generally speaking in NJ, under $1000 is kinda the low end, basic equipment, part time, may or may not show up kinda guy.

Holy bottom feeder Batman! In the Baltimore area - and Ricky can testify to this - $1,000.00 for a wedding is a tough sell.

But head south for 20 miles or so to the DC area and it's a totally different ball game!

Reactions: DJKLEEN and Ausumm
Normally I agree with you 100%... with exception to Mix. Mix and I are in the same general location and have access to the same exact markets. Generally speaking in NJ and where we are from, dj's that are $1700+ are top tier, $1000-$1700 mid tier, and under $1000 is kinda the low end, basic equipment, part time, may or may not show up kinda guy. Mix barely charges $350-$500... where does that put him lol?

It's just another variable.
You guys are in the same neighborhood, yet you are light years apart.

Generally speaking in NJ and where we are from, dj's that are $1700+ are top tier, $1000-$1700 mid tier, and under $1000 is kinda the low end, basic equipment, part time, may or may not show up kinda guy. Mix barely charges $350-$500... where does that put him lol?

I think the kind term is "bargain basement".

The venue that Mix mentioned that I said was $50 a plate, is only 15 min away from a venue with a $300 a plate price tag.
Yep,,,, Lafayette Louisiana top dj is around 800. I'm priced at 650 right now! I have got 2 of them booked right now, so I know that I am in the price point. I'd like to get more but there are a lot of dj's to choose from! I will bet that there are plenty of happy customers that say "our dj was the best, you should use him" when using the top 5 in town.

My hope is that I am just as good as the 800 dollar guy, at 650.

The more you do, The more endorsements you will get. Wheather they are top dollar jobs or free ones! I do a lot of benefits for free! For me dj'ing is just a hobby!

So we are a diverse crowd with something to learn from all.

Great site !

Hey Kleen, its great to see that you have been doing well so far. However, why limit yourself? Who say's $650 should be your threshold, or that Lafayette can't break that $1000 dj mark as a starting point for exceptional service. I took a look online at dj's in that area, and most of their setups look mediocre at best, even from the top dj's. To put it simple... they all looked the same and no one wow'd. I started out djin as a hobby and part time too for 8 years... that's not an excuse to set limits on yourself.

Why not invest a little on a presentation that stands out from the rest (girls like fancy things and stuff that looks good). Perhaps spending $700 at dragonfrontboard on a tufted facade will give you that instant visual appeal. Maybe adding verticul trussing for a more premium look. Maybe spend a $500 on beautiful white sheer drapery for behind the dj booth (I have a 20ft white sheer drapery and 14ft white floral backdrop for spaces that I want to cover up) Spend $30 on a laptop skin that has ur name and website on it so that they remember you for that exceptional service. People dont like asking for cards anymore (they drop em half the time anyways), and if they remember your name they'll be able to search you. Simple changes go to stand out go a long way. You'd be surprised how many times people ask me about my white facade and want to make sure they are getting it at their wedding.... and how from time to time I see people taking a picture of my laptop so they can contact me later. The initial impression you make when guests enter the room is in fact the most important one.

That second paragraph isn't just for Kleen, as it can apply to any dj in any area... price points being completely irrelevant.

You said something interesting. Most DJs play too loud. What is too loud?
Hey Kleen, its great to see that you have been doing well so far. However, why limit yourself? Who say's $650 should be your threshold, or that Lafayette can't break that $1000 dj mark as a starting point for exceptional service. I took a look online at dj's in that area, and most of their setups look mediocre at best, even from the top dj's. To put it simple... they all looked the same and no one wow'd. I started out djin as a hobby and part time too for 8 years... that's not an excuse to set limits on yourself.

Why not invest a little on a presentation that stands out from the rest (girls like fancy things and stuff that looks good). Perhaps spending $700 at dragonfrontboard on a tufted facade will give you that instant visual appeal. Maybe adding verticul trussing for a more premium look. Maybe spend a $500 on beautiful white sheer drapery for behind the dj booth (I have a 20ft white sheer drapery and 14ft white floral backdrop for spaces that I want to cover up) Spend $30 on a laptop skin that has ur name and website on it so that they remember you for that exceptional service. People dont like asking for cards anymore (they drop em half the time anyways), and if they remember your name they'll be able to search you. Simple changes go to stand out go a long way. You'd be surprised how many times people ask me about my white facade and want to make sure they are getting it at their wedding.... and how from time to time I see people taking a picture of my laptop so they can contact me later. The initial impression you make when guests enter the room is in fact the most important one.

That second paragraph isn't just for Kleen, as it can apply to any dj in any area... price points being completely irrelevant.
Got it. Thanks. That makes sense.

We are discussing a very complicated & complex subject I had to address a long time ago when I was changing markets. Although equipment & skill does come into play to reach different markets and rates. You can have all of the equipment & skill and never reach that market. What you need are the right connections as well as marketing via the correct way & channels to reach that market. Depending on the individual and were you want to go each path will be different. A client looking let's say looking to 2k will be in totally different circles than one looking at $500. And make no mistake there those looking to spending a lot more but it's like a Pyramid. The higher you go the less openings and more selective they there are. At certain levels the clients like to deal exclusively with select event planners or agents. So if you aren't working with them cracking in is very difficult. Though the years I have encountered crazy stuff. One example is I am in college market, travel throughout the Northeast and book some events though agents. Do you know some schools book exclusively though a agent and pay more. I get paid more but they never book direct which would cost them less even when they know they have the option. But it's all about the connections and the rates charged isn't determined by each location. Usually it is much more expensive to bring in out of town Entertainment. I stopped trying to make sense of everything while ago and just play the game.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
And sometimes, you simply cannot out-price the market.
If you serve a low-income area,
all the skills and all the equipment in the world isn't going to help you squeeze $1000
out of a town that cannot afford a $1000 DJ.

Reactions: ittigger
i seem to have a threshold locally, " and were talking a few small towns of 2500 or less people within a 30 mile radius of me" of about $800 but if I travel another 20 - 30 miles its $1500 - $2000 all the time and I get the comment I can't believe your are so affordable,

And sometimes, you simply cannot out-price the market.
If you serve a low-income area,
all the skills and all the equipment in the world isn't going to help you squeeze $1000
out of a town that cannot afford a $1000 DJ.
Mike, I agree, there definitely is a threshold as to just how high you can go in a particular area, regardless of what you offer... but I say let the customer decide based on what they value. Clients in Kleens particular area on avg spend around $1300 in total on the DJ (probably with ceremony, lights, photobooth, etc)... if you give them something to desire that no one else is doing, perhaps they'd pay that little bit more for just the base dj service (we're only talking $200) and cut it from another option you offer like a monogram, or another service like desserts or centerpeices, or just simply increase their budget slightly. Every area experiences increase in costs, just simply due to inflation and the cost of living, so at some point that threshold will jump from $800 to $1000 in Lafayette, LA. and other parts of the country in general. The question is who gets there first and can justify being the first one. Even in NJ we deal with it... people were afraid to touch that $2000 starting point in NJ... now there are a handful dj's with a starting point of $2000-$3000 and they're all keeping plenty busy. And if there isn't a pool large enough of clients willing to pay that in that particular town, then I am sure there are plenty of neighboring areas one can start marketing to as well to add to the calendar. That $200 increase over say 30 weddings, is $6k... covering those investments you made to get to that level and still giving you some extra money in the bank.

It can be done, I dc what anyone says honestly... I've been to plenty of lower income areas to witness first hand people sacrificing or struggling to book my services but doing it because it's part of their vision for their celebration. Parents who are dealing with daughters who refuse to have a sweet 16 unless I'm the dj, and end up holding it in a rec center, or church gym as opposed to a banquet hall to make it happen within their budget. I've had brides who interview $950 dj's, yet for me they're looking at double or triple the cost and struggle for weeks, even months, on what to do and call me back saying they value the entertainment so much that they'd rather spend more to get me and cut out or simplify other things in their wedding. I have videos of so many of these examples.

The wedding I did in the barn last week I think falls in line with the type of income that you and Kleen are referencing. Facility was $1800, food was 2000, photographer 2000, plus officiant/dresses/floral,etc... homemade cupcakes/centerpieces, no limo,. In fact the whole wedding I don't think was more than 12-15k if that. I was $3k or 20-25% of that budget. People are human and even in lower income area's, they will spend more on something if they really value it, even if it means sacrificing something else. Just gotta give them that something special.

Mike, I agree, there definitely is a threshold as to just how high you can go in a particular area, regardless of what you offer... but I say let the customer decide based on what they value. Clients in Kleens particular area on avg spend around $1300 in total on the DJ (probably with ceremony, lights, photobooth, etc)... if you give them something to desire that no one else is doing, perhaps they'd pay that little bit more for just the base dj service (we're only talking $200) and cut it from another option you offer like a monogram, or another service like desserts or centerpeices, or just simply increase their budget slightly. Every area experiences increase in costs, just simply due to inflation and the cost of living, so at some point that threshold will jump from $800 to $1000 in Lafayette, LA. and other parts of the country in general. The question is who gets there first and can justify being the first one. Even in NJ we deal with it... people were afraid to touch that $2000 starting point in NJ... now there are a handful dj's with a starting point of $2000-$3000 and they're all keeping plenty busy. And if there isn't a pool large enough of clients willing to pay that in that particular town, then I am sure there are plenty of neighboring areas one can start marketing to as well to add to the calendar. That $200 increase over say 30 weddings, is $6k... covering those investments you made to get to that level and still giving you some extra money in the bank.

It can be done, I dc what anyone says honestly... I've been to plenty of lower income areas to witness first hand people sacrificing or struggling to book my services but doing it because it's part of their vision for their celebration. Parents who are dealing with daughters who refuse to have a sweet 16 unless I'm the dj, and end up holding it in a rec center, or church gym as opposed to a banquet hall to make it happen within their budget. I've had brides who interview $950 dj's, yet for me they're looking at double or triple the cost and struggle for weeks, even months, on what to do and call me back saying they value the entertainment so much that they'd rather spend more to get me and cut out or simplify other things in their wedding. I have videos of so many of these examples.

The wedding I did in the barn last week I think falls in line with the type of income that you and Kleen are referencing. Facility was $1800, food was 2000, photographer 2000, plus officiant/dresses/floral,etc... homemade cupcakes/centerpieces, no limo,. In fact the whole wedding I don't think was more than 12-15k if that. I was $3k or 20-25% of that budget. People are human and even in lower income area's, they will spend more on something if they really value it, even if it means sacrificing something else. Just gotta give them that something special.
Still .. it comes down to having something they value .. you seem to have it, others need to find it.

We are discussing a very complicated & complex subject I had to address a long time ago when I was changing markets. Although equipment & skill does come into play to reach different markets and rates. You can have all of the equipment & skill and never reach that market. What you need are the right connections as well as marketing via the correct way & channels to reach that market. Depending on the individual and were you want to go each path will be different. A client looking let's say looking to 2k will be in totally different circles than one looking at $500. And make no mistake there those looking to spending a lot more but it's like a Pyramid. The higher you go the less openings and more selective they there are. At certain levels the clients like to deal exclusively with select event planners or agents. So if you aren't working with them cracking in is very difficult. Though the years I have encountered crazy stuff. One example is I am in college market, travel throughout the Northeast and book some events though agents. Do you know some schools book exclusively though a agent and pay more. I get paid more but they never book direct which would cost them less even when they know they have the option. But it's all about the connections and the rates charged isn't determined by each location. Usually it is much more expensive to bring in out of town Entertainment. I stopped trying to make sense of everything while ago and just play the game.
It can be done in any area. Wowing your crowds so they don't forget you, knowing how to successfully market online, and building a following are the keys. When people are planning a celebration and are looking to make an investment into something, they go with what they know and trust, or ask others for a trusted referral. Clients who have seen you in action or are Word of mouth referrals are superior to just about every other type of client possible. The high rate of failure for many dj's is they just don't do anything to stand out and attract clients. They end up attracting more price conscious clients as opposed to quality based clients. Every event I do is marketed... whether its checking in at the venue and tagging the client so their friends see it on fb and see that I'm the dj, taking a picture during the first dance and tagging the bride and groom so that they can share it with their friends and for my exisiting friends to see that I am busy, making video recaps and sharing them everywhere, etc. There are so many things that can be done with social media these days to help grow your base and attract clients that are in a sense prequalified... and from there it grows exponentially as long as you are doing a great job. Schools are a different type of example because there's no emotion attached to it... but who needs those if you have a calendar full of weddings and other type of private parties.

Still .. it comes down to having something they value .. you seem to have it, others need to find it.
I think thats the moral of every post I do... wow your clients. Everyone's content being avg and doing what everyone else is doing. Granted, some have their reasons... phasing out, looking to cater to more simpler events, part time and don't want added planning,etc. But whoever is in that category that desires to do more, charge more, and be better, they have to break out of that comfort zone of what their currently doing and do what few or no one else is doing in their area.