Would entering a parade be good advertisement?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
That's all I am looking for, to get my name out there, start building a brand. I have been hitting the streets lately, trying to build some business as a karaoke host, and I know that those shows are where I will get a majority of my business, along with a well built website. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go out and play some music, and just have some fun. I also want to give back to the community any way I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valerie Hicks
@dbstudios - You may ultimately decide this is a good idea... but I think it's a stretch.

It would be hard to find a more over-stimulated group of people than folks watching a parade. Marching bands, dancers, glitter, pom poms... it's probably 90 minutes of one spectacle after another. Standing out in that crowd is difficult, being memorable is almost impossible. Giveaways could help, but it's a total crap shoot as to whether any of those spectators are making a buying decision on a DJ in the next 36 months.

I prefer an avenue where I can be a big fish in a small pond. For example... I have luck with boutique bridal shows. 1 vendor of each type, 20-50 couples... absolute sweet spot. I want more attention from less people, not the other way around when I do my marketing. Sometimes you have to do some macro brand building, but I think a parade is a really tough way to do it.

Here would be an alternative... Around here we have a number of mixed use Retail/Dining/Living sort of developments that have gone in. They host events constantly to keep people engaged and having fun in the space, which ultimately benefits all of the retailers. For example this is what's on the calendar right now:

Mosaic Events.PNG

Approach a venue like this about doing some sort of kids event... daytime dance party, glow sticks at night, whatever... It can be 60-90 minutes, shows off your DJing, shows off your crowed interaction... and you compete against absolutely nobody. You get undivided attention (and thanks!) from parents, and you get to showcase in a public place. It would probably cost you much less.

If you want to take that up another notch, get a charity involved. Sell the glow sticks to benefit the charity. Take donations for them as well. And ask the charity to promote the event with you. It might even help you get the event booked if you can sell it as a "Fun-Fundraiser" for a well qualified charity.

You can brand glowsticks, give away frisbees, use any of that swag as giveaways during an event like that and it totally makes sense. I think you'd get a heck-of-a-lot more bang for your buck doing something of that nature versus loading a flatbed and getting 30 seconds of attention from parade-goers.

I am trying to stay away from the whole fish in one basket situation. I already have a fundraiser booked for september, and am trying to get into some other venues, just thought this would be a different way of getting seen, and maybe even noticed.

If you have a venues in mind. Find out what their needs are. Then go there sell yourself. Of course be prepared to answer the question why you and not someone else. Not much money required except some good promotional info to leave with them. But you really do need a website or great Facebook page. I drive potential clients to my photo album and provide information photos & videos on events like what they are planning.

Reactions: ittigger
I drive potential clients to my photo album
That is one of the things I am working on, but I need to do some setups, and events to add to my photo album. I have a nice karaoke setup, but I need to put it together and take pictures to add to the album, and my house is too small for that.

To get you have to give.
It would cost you nothing to do some free gigs for groups around the community - schools, YMCA, Camps, civic groups, road races, walks, churches, dance schools, etc. You will certainly get noticed a lot while doing exactly what it is you are trying to sell. Then you'll start getting phone calls, and the money can start rolling in. Don't give up the Freebies just because you're now in demand. They are your marketing plan - and they still cost you nothing.

There is no magic bullet. If you want people to know who yo are and what you can do - then you've got to get out and show them.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I think the parade is a great idea most of them are no cost or low cost. I would take the money you plan to spend on Frisbees and have a website done and have cards and/or flyers for your helpers to pass out though and take them out for a beer after. You would still have a little left over compared to the frisbees