Would entering a parade be good advertisement?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Enchanted Sound

DJ....I think
Aug 2, 2018
Walker Michigan
I have been thinking about putting my self and my equipment on a trailer and entering a 4th of july parade. Would it be worth it to get my name out there a bit?

Just so I understand, what is your reasoning?

If you actually believe that your phone is going to ring with gig offers, just from entering into a parade, you need more than an explanation from me. Go ride in the parade if you want to but it ain't going to get you any gigs, whatsoever.

Individuals only see you for the 1 minute you pass them .. no one will hear much other than 1/3 of a song or so.

I am just trying to come up with different ideas to get seen, I already have a Facebook page, an ad on Yelp, but do not have the budget yet for a website. The only other thing I am doing now is handing out my business card to people I talk to, but that is leading nowhere currently. I was just thinking about doing something I have not seen anyone else do yet, and while in the parade, have helpers hand out something with my name and contact information on it.

It’s already AUGUST 9th, man... I think the 4th Of July parades have already passed you by... You’d be a parade of ONE!!![emoji1] Might be memorable though to those you pass by... They’ll say; look at that F..king IDIOT DJ puttin’ on his own 4th Of July parade A MONTH LATE!!![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
When you do get some exposure will you be prepared to perform in a way that will make guests want to hire you? If you lack experience, you may need to practice on your MC skills and mixing skills to get noticed. Then try to get some gigs that will showcase those skills.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
If you lack experience, you may need to practice on your MC skills and mixing skills to get noticed. Then try to get some gigs that will showcase those skills.
I might be a little rusty, but I can still MC decently well. I used to run karaoke, DJ in clubs, and ran a few weddings between 2005 and 2008.

Reactions: Jas
I am just trying to come up with different ideas to get seen, I already have a Facebook page, an ad on Yelp, but do not have the budget yet for a website.

But you DO have the budget to put together a parade float and pay the entry fee? A website on wix runs $10/month. THAT is the place you need to start. You can go stand on a street corner with a sign in hand and you'll get the same results as you will in a parade.

My best advice to you is to pick which clients you going to go after and start with specific advertisement and directly market to them. You're looking to do schools send them ProMotional info then follow-up, Brides hit the wedding shows or publications, backyard parties network with the bounce around guys and caterers. But remember it takes time to build up relationships. If had some locations it has taken me years to get into. Network with other honest DJs, they might need help or have overflow work. Crazy as it seems I've received a lot of work networking with other DJs including from the guys who worked for me. They'll call and me to assist them with their bookings. To tell you the truth it is great at times not to be the one in charge.

"You can go stand on a street corner with a sign in hand and you'll get the same results as you will in a parade". I love that quote, genius

Which royalties? If it's for music, the venues are responsible for purchasing the required licensing, and I would not advertise private events. But if I were to, say, do a Karaoke night, I can post on those sites that I will be at bar x from time A to time B, the bar would be responsible for licensing at that point. If a site does not have proper licensing, they are liable, not the DJ.

Depends on the type of marketing/advertising you will be allowed to produce and what you want the advertising to generate?

Exposure is not always a good thing...blogger-image-225039563.jpg

...and cheap, free exposure is typically worth every penny...or less!

I send invitations to friends on Facebook as far as public gigs that are coming up. As for private events like weddings, post pics and photos after the event.

As an advertising guy.... I think it's a good idea.
Most of the time, the entry fee is small.
(so...if the price seems to high...don't do it)
And DJ's just blend well with the parade atmosphere.

The goal of this it is NOT to get gigs...it is simply name recognition.
That's why all of the radio stations I have worked for do parades!

Think of a plumber who advertises...they are not expecting the phone to ring the moment the ad airs.
Same reason politicians plaster those plastic lawn signs all over.
They are only developing their brand, and putting their name in the back of people's minds.
So when someone NEEDS their service, the seed has already been planted.

I kinda agree with Mike. Name recognition, positive support of the community....good things for your business. No, you aren't likely to book events directly off a parade, but you do build local good will and a little visibility. If you enjoy it, go for it. I drive my ponies in parades and put my print shop name on the side of the wagon. Do I expect business as a direct result, of course not, I like to drive my ponies. Does it help, it certainly does help with name recognition...I've had people yell into the street (during the parade) and ask where my shop is, if I'm hiring, etc. A lot of people who know me might not know my business name even if they have heard what I do. It's a very small addition to someone remembering my business name when the need arises. For the most impact, do something creative or unique (more memorable). Just driving a pickup and trailer, or lettered van, or other *sterile* business vehicle is not very memorable. Playing fun music, great use of parade theme in decorations, unique giveaways, etc. make you stand out.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
I was thinking about playing music on the back of a trailer, while I have some "helpers" (friends I was able to convince to help) passing out little flexible frisbies with my logo, and number on it.