Wireless mics

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
While we're talking wireless mics, anyone have any experience withe the GTD U-504H ?
GTD Audio UHF Handheld Wireless Microphone System 504H - GTD Audio - (https://gtdaudio.net/gtd-audio-uhf-handheld-wireless-microphone-sytem.html)

I know it's not a Shure digital !! I'm looking for some cheap house party Karaoke mics that work in the (still OK) 500mhz UHF band. This does, plus it's rack mountable with the antennas on the front.

The real disadvantage (on paper), it's a GTD "U" series, meaning it works on fixed frequencies, unlike the "G" series which are tune-able.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I'm a pretty big proponent of GTD mics. No experience with the 500-series but I have several of these (and have several friends who have bought them on my recommendation):

https://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-Di...-spons&keywords=gtd+wireless+microphone&psc=1

I have one of the 4-channel units, but didn't like it having 4 antennas mounted in the back. If you're going to go GTD, get their best system. It's still cheap and rock-solid. Effective range, from my real world experience is double what my Sennheiser or AT units can do. There's few times that a cheaper unit actually performs but, my opinion, this manufacturer delivers solid, trustworthy performance.

Reactions: SEDJ and Handinon
GTD = unreliable, embarrassingly low quality, eminently and easily breakable/destructible, and highly unrecommendable.

If you seriously believe you are going to obtain any measure of professional service or minimal quality by purchasing a 4 unit wireless microphone system for $169...I have a deed to a bridge I would sell you for $50 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Handinon
Over at KaraokeScene (about the only real KJ Forum left) the GTD "G" Series (like the G-733 Rick refers to) are actually considered very good. However, also like Rick said, their 4-channel "G" models have the antennas on the back, a PIA for rackmounts.

Over at KaraokeScene (about the only real KJ Forum left) the GTD "G" Series (like the G-733 Rick refers to) are actually considered very good. However, also like Rick said, their 4-channel "G" models have the antennas on the back, a PIA for rackmounts.

It’s really easy to get sucked into this debate, but when someone says something is poor quality and not professional and have NEVER used or owned the product, I have to call BS!!![emoji1]

In a previous thread I was going to post a recording of me singing to a karaoke track while switching between my expensive wired Sennhieser and my wireless GTD, and I promise you, it would be almost impossible to tell the difference, and there were places where I was singing more loudly than most people would normally sing. The reason I never posted it was because I sang off key in a couple of places.[emoji1] I used to be a pretty good singer, but age has taken its toll on my singing voice.

My GTD’s have NEVER failed me; NEVER.

It’s really easy to get sucked into this debate, but when someone says something is poor quality and not professional and have NEVER used or owned the product, I have to call BS!!![emoji1]

In a previous thread I was going to post a recording of me singing to a karaoke track while switching between my expensive wired Sennhieser and my wireless GTD, and I promise you, it would be almost impossible to tell the difference, and there were places where I was singing more loudly than most people would normally sing. The reason I never posted it was because I sang off key in a couple of places.[emoji1] I used to be a pretty good singer, but age has taken its toll on my singing voice.

You assume much, grrr asshopper!

...However, also like Rick said, their 4-channel "G" models have the antennas on the back, a PIA for rackmounts.

I get having the antennas on the back when there’s four of them. Really not enough room on the front for four. I ran extension cables from the back of the receiver to the patch panel on my old rack...
feab18bccc0be03becf4667f4d179608.jpg
8f1dc8244c20e9756bf00e0d8bf5b2a8.jpg

... Now I use those same extension cables, but I made a retractable slider for the antennas on my new rack so I could get the rear cover on...

d22fff003c72fe2f667a0e5f8e1f7b68.jpg

It’s a little quirky, but my facade covers it up.

Just say no .. to Alto GtD ..

Listen .. they are probably capable units and are probably OK if the users are conscientious, light fingered and light-voiced, and delicate .. and the operating zone is free from much residual interference. So out in the country in a limited electronic room .. probably OK (I say probably, as with Rocky's answer, it's tough to think there's much to them at less than $100 per channel even for the better ones).

The mics are all plastic .. yes they're only $45 or so to replace, but that's got to say something too.

For cheap karaoke .. use them and replace as needed. For a quality event, I wouldn't go near them .. even with the folks here's recommendations.

Reactions: TES3S and ittigger
I bought the cheapest 2 mic GTD - $69 I think..it was way cheap. Works great EXCEPT when Ihave my wireless speakers running, then one mic won't work. THey sound better to me than the $300 GTD system I got, which has been flawless for 2.5 years now. A tad too sensitive to wind out of the mouth is my only complaint.

Huge range, walls no issue, dropouts never, delays never, interference never.

Is a $1200+ mic better? Sure. And for some things you need it.

I can't charge more because I have it, not having issues with the cheaper one..so I have a real hard time justifying the $1000 expenditure.

While we're talking wireless mics, anyone have any experience withe the GTD U-504H ?
GTD Audio UHF Handheld Wireless Microphone System 504H - GTD Audio - (https://gtdaudio.net/gtd-audio-uhf-handheld-wireless-microphone-sytem.html)

I know it's not a Shure digital !! I'm looking for some cheap house party Karaoke mics that work in the (still OK) 500mhz UHF band. This does, plus it's rack mountable with the antennas on the front.

The real disadvantage (on paper), it's a GTD "U" series, meaning it works on fixed frequencies, unlike the "G" series which are tune-able.

Anyone?

... I can't charge more because I have it (expensive wireless mic system), not having issues with the cheaper one..so I have a real hard time justifying the $1000 expenditure.

I think this is an issue we all deal with. There’s a limit to what we can charge, and having top-of-the-line gear is not necessarily gonna get you a higher rate than some other DJ who doesn’t have top-of-the-line gear. To replace working gear to upgrade to a more prestigious brand means that you’re essentially taking money out of your own pockets... food off YOUR own family’s table! I’ve purchased new gear every year to upgrade my systems, but not once have I had to replace something that didn’t work or looked worn out. I’ve reinvested a higher percentage of my profits to upgrade my gear than most, but I am not dependent on the profits from my DJ business like some. This was part of my business plan from the beginning; get started sooner and upgrade as profits permit. Getting better gear might make you feel better about what you’ve got, but it means very little to customers who don’t know a Sennheiser from a VocoPro.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Getting better gear might make you feel better about what you’ve got, but it means very little to customers who don’t know a Sennheiser from a VocoPro.

It will if the Sennheiser works and the VocoPro/Gtd/Gemini/et al does not. I prefer to think of the extra $$s as sanity insurance ..

I didn't buy better mics to make me feel better. The lower quality stuff literally was NOT working reliably enough. Dropouts were too common, and IMO, even one dropout is the worse the feeling ever. The extra sound quality was a BONUS (although greatly noticed) but going hundreds of feet, never worrying is worth $700-1000 per mic system.

If you are not having problems, then you are either lying to yourself, to us or you have been insanely lucky. Also, If you can not hear the difference in sound quality, I also question your ears!

I have owend the cheaper stuff. Will never make that business mistake again.

And you best bet I charge more b/c own top wireless gear! Spending thousands on wireless was a very wise investment. I can put myself in the next tier up.

Reactions: Proformance
If you are not having problems, then you are either lying to yourself, to us or you have been insanely lucky. Also, If you can not hear the difference in sound quality, I also question your ears

Why is it that some people cannot have a difference of opinion without throwing insults? I have been using GTD for several years and have had a lot of success with them. They dropout less and have twice the range of any name brand that I've used (Shure, Sennheiser, AT, etc). They are consistent performers and as for my ears, no offense to you, I suspect I've had as much or more experience than you with high-end, "pro" line equipment. I know what a good mic sounds like and these cheap little GTD capsules have very good tone and they handle plosives just as well as anything else on the market. If you really want to be a gear snob, and spend more than you need to on gear, knock yourself out. All I ask is that you keep the personal insults to yourself.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Bobcat

Of course, had you made these videos the only thing we'd evaluate is the AGC of the camera mic or video recorder.

SOUND QUALITY
I've heard GTD mics and they sound like crap. GTD users don't seem to notice this. I think there's a correlation between a person's need to pay very little for something and their belief it delivers far more than it actually does. If a user is never pressed into situations where the quality of the mic is critical - then of course, the weaknesses of a GTD system will not be apparent to them. If the highest application of the mic is amateur karaoke users then that too, will mask it's comparative performance.

BUILD QUALITY
GTD mics are disposable. In a professional application they are the equivalent of a Red Solo cup. If these work for you in karaoke or DJ gigs than that is great. But, to disagree with a point also raised - there is no limit on what we can charge until we place limits on what we will deliver.

Last edited:
Why is it that some people cannot have a difference of opinion without throwing insults? I have been using GTD for several years and have had a lot of success with them...

I guess you and I have been “insanely lucky”... along with so many hundreds of others who’ve given the GTD’s overwhelmingly positive reviews. I contend that if someone has used a GTD wireless system and had numerous drop-outs, they had no clue what they were doing, or had incredibly bad luck.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of course, had you made these videos the only thing we'd evaluate is the AGC of the camera or video recorder.

SOUND QUALITY
I've heard GTD mics and they sound like crap. GTD users don't seem to notice this. I think there's a correlation between a person's need to pay very little for something and their belief it delivers far more than it actually does. If a user is never pressed into situations where the quality of the mic is critical - then of course, the weaknesses of a GTD system will not be apparent to them. If the highest application of the mic is amateur karaoke users then that too, will mask it's comparative performance.

BUILD QUALITY
GTD mics are disposable. In a professional application they are the equivalent of a Red Solo cup. If these work for you in karaoke or DJ gigs than that is great. But, to doagree with a point also raised - there is no limit on what we can charge until we place limits on what we will deliver.

I’m sure you have superior ears... along with everything else about you that you believe to be superior. You’re wrong again of course, but you’ll NEVER believe it. So we’ll just leave it at that.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
If you really want to be a gear snob, and spend more than you need to on gear, knock yourself out. All I ask is that you keep the personal insults to yourself.

I think the gear snobs and spendthrifts among us might take issue with your double standard. :)