Wireless Mic Spectrum Update

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
As long as it's still being sold by distributors, it is good to use during that time period. From a legal standpoint the distributors here in USA will have to stop carrying and selling wireless microphones that operate on a deemed illegal frequency band for them.

We have 4 more years, so figure it out then.

I still use a set of NADY VHF band mics...Dunno their frequency...I believe it's in the 200s I also have a set of NADY VHF band Lavalier microphones.

No one will be running around confiscating your microphone gear, and handing out fines LOL. The only thing you might worry about is a lot more interference using these systems.

My Dad had a Trucker on a CB Radio come through his wireless microphone system at a wedding back about 15 years ago. It was a VHF band system. the conversation came through his speakers. He said a lot of guests listening to it were laughing. ...The Tow Truck Driver was on the other side of the building apparently picking up a car.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I would completely avoid anything in the 2.4GHz band for microphones.

Sent from my mobile device.

As long as it's still being sold by distributors, it is good to use during that time period. From a legal standpoint the distributors here in USA will have to stop carrying and selling wireless microphones that operate on a deemed illegal frequency band for them.

We have 4 more years, so figure it out then.

I still use a set of NADY VHF band mics...Dunno their frequency...I believe it's in the 200s I also have a set of NADY VHF band Lavalier microphones.

No one will be running around confiscating your microphone gear, and handing out fines LOL. The only thing you might worry about is a lot more interference using these systems.

My Dad had a Trucker on a CB Radio come through his wireless microphone system at a wedding back about 15 years ago. It was a VHF band system. the conversation came through his speakers. He said a lot of guests listening to it were laughing. ...The Tow Truck Driver was on the other side of the building apparently picking up a car.

The red statement may not be true. WalMart was selling items without advising that the user may or may not be able to use the equipment. There was a filing and WalMart paid a penalty for not notifying purchasers of requirements. There are also cases of equipment being confiscated, along with fines. Ignoring requirements does not free you from the responsibility of them. At some level, Ethics plays a part here as well.

If you cause interference, the FCC may come investigate - and if they find you, you may be fined and may have your equipment taken. How can you expect someone to take you serious if you think it's ok to operate outside of regulations / requirements? If a trucker came through on a wireless mic, I seriously doubt it was due to freq - most likely it had more to do with power than anything. CB Radio uses an established freq by the Commission - wireless mics do not.

Last edited:
If you are in a city of any size with radio or tv stations, there will be an area frequency coordinator who will be monitoring and keep track of what is happening on what frequency, because it is their job to make sure channels are available for any area major event coverage that requires any remote broadcasting.
Any non- licensed Part 15 equipment will then have to take a back seat to the major event as they will have priority plus they will also have more powerful equipment so you will get walked all over anyway.

Note I my not be an active DJ any more but I am still active in the broadcast industry now for over 40 years.

So Doug-- All those transmitter readings we were supposed to take on an hourly basis at my old station... Did they go to the FCC in DC, or to the local coordinator that you mentioned? (I was an Ops Mngr a looooong time ago in the early 80's)...

GJ

So Doug-- All those transmitter readings we were supposed to take on an hourly basis at my old station... Did they go to the FCC in DC, or to the local coordinator that you mentioned? (I was an Ops Mngr a looooong time ago in the early 80's)...

GJ
They were kept as documentation that your station was operating in accordance with the stations license. Plus back in the old days, they were good indicators of transmitter performance and when to change driver or final tubes.

So nobody actually reviewed them? (Outside of station personnel?)

GJ

They may or may not have - the Commission or coordinator can come to check at anytime. Additionally, the techs were checking them to ensure that they were in accordance with the license \ diagnose issues.

Yeah, our engineers were always busy with the transmitter, and/or the satellite dish. We had an early dish (this was '82-'84-ish), it looked like something from the SETI array, and something was always going wrong. Too much ice or snow, and you couldn't get any network programming or news...

GJ

Reactions: ittigger
I bought my 1st EW100G2 back in 06? That works out to less than $100 / year too.

I agree. I've had these exact mics for roughly the same time period. Works great. I'll have no problem investing in new ones.

Reactions: ittigger