Why I believe Gig Salad is worthless

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
right now I think if I was to get such a high dollar amount I'll be throwing in the add ons like the dance floor, the outdoor party tent and table linens, the jumbotrons , the bounce house for the kids , the photobooth, I mean we know they want that for $500 right? ( yes I am kidding, so that we know) but the kicker to me is trying to convey what value is against what? Educating people on these things has never been a strong suit of mine because I can't keep a straight face (I am actually missing a few teeth, and hence is my reason, people don't know how to receive that that well) Everybody ends up laughing at me and my credibility goes out the door. I don't get taken seriously though I am more serious than a heart attack. part of the money I was to make from being a DJ was supposed to go toward helping me to get my face fixed.
You like a lot of other DJs seem to think you need to provide more stuff to get more money it's far from the truth brides buy emption and comfort if the belief you are the best choice to provide the wedding fantasy they have envisioned they will gladly choose you over anyone else even at a premium price sell yourself not your stuff

Last edited:
Wow, that's your standard price? I'd have to agree with you. In my case, I'm usually seeing a bride wanting to pay $300 and so a step up to $750 isn't a terribly huge jump. I just have to convince her that it's wise to not spend $300 on a chocolate fountain and hire me instead.

It is, but I'm not totally nuts. This is the DC Metro homepage for WeddingWire:

Wedding Wire Homepage.PNG

Obviously, WW doesn't represent the total market. But I'm in the mid to upper end of the wedding DJ pricing tiers for this market.

It's a backlink (SEO). Leave it and forget it.

And that's why you should be listed everywhere. If nothing else it provides SEO worth and if someone is looking and sees you in many places it sticks in their mind

Reactions: Albatross
I used to charge about $750 for services when I lived in Fredericksburg, but that is a much higher tax bracket out there than it is where I am now by about 2/3rds higher. $750 was higher than what most DJ's were getting there. By about 2/3rds. DJ's from NOVA would come down and book these shows for some high dollar amount, tell me it can be done, but don't explain how. Like I said, I'm a hard line cynic. I want to see how to do it . Fredericksburg is an oversaturated area with $500 DJ's and that becomes what people perceive as the average price for a DJ there. Where I am, the cost of living is such that it translates to $750 ='s about $1200 . I live in a 2 bedroom townhouse. I pay $689 a month for it with an average electric bill of $80. There isn't too many places in Northern Virginia where you can find a one bedroom apt for less than $1200 with an electric bill 0f $150 or better. Fuel costs, everything is higher up there than it is here, so the cost of living has some play and effect in it. Values translate differently. I think $1200 in Northern Virginia is a modest price for Northern Virginia but in the Northern Neck people here are going to see that as exorbitant and out of their price range because the cost of living here is not the same as there and it's only an hour or so away. The higher the population, the more expensive it gets.

You like a lot of other DJs seem to think you need to provide more stuff to get more money it's far from the truth brides buy emption and comfort if the belief you are the best choice to provide the wedding fantasy they have envisioned they will gladly choose you over anyone else even at a premium price sell yourself not your stuff

I don't really "want" to give them more "stuff" If I wanted to sell my stuff, I'd put it on ebay. I'm not really that young of a guy anymore. I get up sounding like a rice krispie with snap crackle and pop. Please believe me, the less junk I got to lug around the better and happier I am.
The thing that kicks me in the butt is that I have no idea as to what a sales pitch should be or presentation should be. Never seen one or have even been told what one would look like. I would like to know someday. I feel that part of my presentation should be for me to get my face fixed but that's what this money from DJ ing was supposed to be for for me. I think that maybe that would be a factor in it.( If I had a little more business, too bad I couldn't write that off on taxes as a business expense) But I don't presently have any business calling it a business if there really is no business.
I would love to see what a sales pitch can do, I'd love to see how I could get one made, how I could be packaged up in one and how I could build from there. I think I could look good, I might even be surprised with it but I have no real idea how to present it. I have one gig on the books. It's tonight. The money I made was re-invested into gear maintenance.

I have no idea as to what a sales pitch should be or presentation should be. Never seen one or have even been told what one would look like.

You know, there are books on sales, not that they've done me much good. Part of it is learning from experience and if you're not getting enough leads, you aren't doing enough sales calls to get that experience. I believe that to become a good salesman one has to study and work on it every day. Reading the books isn't enough. It's something one needs to work on and practice constantly.

You know, there are books on sales, not that they've done me much good. Part of it is learning from experience and if you're not getting enough leads, you aren't doing enough sales calls to get that experience. I believe that to become a good salesman one has to study and work on it every day. Reading the books isn't enough. It's something one needs to work on and practice constantly.

Agreed. To me, learning sales is a very personalized skill. You can study the basics, but you have to develop your own style and learn what is effective for you. Trying to copy the sales pitch from the next guy doesn't (necessarily) work. You have to find your own rhythm.

Reactions: Albatross
When you say "Sales calls" are you saying I have to cold call people? how do you define what that is? I don't see myself calling people up in the middle of dinner asking them if they want a DJ. Trying really hard to "learn" by asking the simplest of questions going back to the very basic of basic questions. I learn best by doing. I have trouble remembering what I read in books , I forget them 5 minutes later. I have to actually do it several times to understand it and do it. I need to learn how to do it I guess, I've never really heard one. Most of the time when I get hired , it didn't require a sales pitch or anything, it's been "you're a DJ? Good You're Hired" kind of deal nobody wanted to hear it. I mean I like people like that to a point...

When you say "Sales calls" are you saying I have to cold call people? how do you define what that is? I don't see myself calling people up in the middle of dinner asking them if they want a DJ. Trying really hard to "learn" by asking the simplest of questions going back to the very basic of basic questions. I learn best by doing. I have trouble remembering what I read in books , I forget them 5 minutes later. I have to actually do it several times to understand it and do it. I need to learn how to do it I guess, I've never really heard one. Most of the time when I get hired , it didn't require a sales pitch or anything, it's been "you're a DJ? Good You're Hired" kind of deal nobody wanted to hear it. I mean I like people like that to a point...

It sounds like you're over thinking this a bit.

At the moment someone calls to say, "Are you a DJ? Are you available? What is your price?" You're on a sales call. They're making a decision about whether they'd like to work with you or not. How you present yourself in answering their questions, or asking questions of your own, will determine the outcome of that call.

Think of sales as a big funnel. There is (typically) drop off at every level, which is why it's referred to as a funnel.

The top of the funnel: How do people find you?

This could be advertising driven, local networking, social media, yellow pages, posters on the side of the road... whatever you do to let people know that you're a DJ and you're open for business. If nobody knows you are a business, nobody will ever call.

What information can they find about you?

Many potential clients want to learn about you before they ever call. Having a website of some sort, even if you're just using a free Facebook page, is pretty critical for this. But, there are still businesses around that don't have one. Showcasing reviews from previous clients, photos of past events, examples of your work. Many clients will look for this before they ever make a call. Lots of business is won or lost here before the phone rings.

The Inquiry

Either by phone, web form, etc. the prospect will let you know that they are interested. And through your communications they will either negotiate a price and book, or decide to do something else.

--
You basically need to optimize at all three levels. If nobody ever finds you, you don't get to show off your work. If you don't show off your work in some way, you'll get very few calls. And if you aren't good at explaining your brand and value on the phone, you'll get very few bookings. You may be better or worse at some areas than others, but all three need constant development to be any good at sales.

Or...

If you decide that you don't want to be good at any of that - you need a booking agency. Instead of selling yourself to clients direct, you only need to make one sale, to a booking agent of some sort. A multi-op that is busy, some other DJ company that can hire you. You'd give up part of the money they charge to do so - but you wouldn't have as much work to do. If you're feeling lost in this process, that might be worth exploring.

I've often thought of a booking agency but didn't know who, where or what to look for. I've tried many different avenues, but not this one.
Most of the issue for me is that people don't ever see me. People who do use me come mostly from word of mouth, not the internet, not anything else. I'm always told by people that they have never heard of me. I've been there all along maybe they hadn't looked because DJ Tape Deck was good enough. I can come off as pushy sometimes without trying and that's something I have to be cognizant of so I take a passive approach to it to not look aggressive or desperate.

Last edited:
@DJ Ricky B will book you out .. Mix has his pulse on the NJ scene too.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I'm working on a website. the present one it hasn't had a chance yet to do anything for me I'm working on migrating it to another place, changing services, I gave things a year, didn't get any results, I try something else. See what that does and move on. These things are a frustrating topic for me. So I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty.

I said "sales call" but I meant sales meeting. I forget what I read too and most people only remember so much. That's why you have to treat it like a class you're taking. Study the book (or books) daily, and practice what you're gonna say at a meeting. Really good salesmen know pretty much every question that will come up at a meeting. You have to know the answers to all the questions, but what's more important is asking them the right questions and listening to their answers.

According to methods I've studied, the salesman should be the one asking the questions. If the salesman simply answers the prospects questions, the prospect is in control. You want to be the one in control because if you're not, you probably won't close (make the sale).

Of course if you don't keep up with what you need to do and you only get a sales meeting every other month, you won't be prepared to make the sale. There are also tons of sales videos on youtube. Jeffrey Gitomer is a good start for youtube vids.

I'm working on a website. the present one it hasn't had a chance yet to do anything for me I'm working on migrating it to another place, changing services, I gave things a year, didn't get any results, I try something else. See what that does and move on. These things are a frustrating topic for me. So I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty.

I believe we all, to one degree or the other, share your frustrations. I know I certainly do. In my own case, it seems I can't avoid the "hunt and peck" in trying to find what does (and what does not) work. I've tried to be transparent with you guys and, for the most part, this forum is a safe space to bounce ideas off people. I would love to hear more of what you're trying and some of the frustrations you're having. As for the website, what you using to build it?

the olde 'sales pitch' would be "hi, i've got 20 years exeperience, so what that means to you is i can read floor, know what to play, etc"
"I Have top of the line gear and keep it updated, this benefits you because my system is reliable and sounds great"

Etc - feature then benefit to the consumer.

HOWever, that's the olde way.

today it's better to do a 'consultation' approach - ask questions, open ended ones .." Hi, betsy, tell me about your wedding (guest count, hall, etc)."
Have you seen other Djs at weddings? What did you like or not like?

What's THE most important to you at your reception?

Overall you're LISTENING, not talking. She won't get bored telling you abour her wedding.
You get INFO - wedding hall/guest count will tell you alot - budget, style (the ritz or a barn)
Like/Dislike - you know WHAT to talk about feature/benefit wise.
What's MOST important - her hot button!! The WHY she's buying - not just a DJ, but one that can do X better than anyone else.

My biggest sales flaw is talking too much. But it does build rapport..so not all bad.

I don't really "want" to give them more "stuff" If I wanted to sell my stuff, I'd put it on ebay. I'm not really that young of a guy anymore. I get up sounding like a rice krispie with snap crackle and pop. Please believe me, the less junk I got to lug around the better and happier I am.
The thing that kicks me in the butt is that I have no idea as to what a sales pitch should be or presentation should be. Never seen one or have even been told what one would look like. I would like to know someday. I feel that part of my presentation should be for me to get my face fixed but that's what this money from DJ ing was supposed to be for for me. I think that maybe that would be a factor in it.( If I had a little more business, too bad I couldn't write that off on taxes as a business expense) But I don't presently have any business calling it a business if there really is no business.
I would love to see what a sales pitch can do, I'd love to see how I could get one made, how I could be packaged up in one and how I could build from there. I think I could look good, I might even be surprised with it but I have no real idea how to present it. I have one gig on the books. It's tonight. The money I made was re-invested into gear maintenance.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
During the past 5 years, I've begun to realize something important.......the bride doesn't want to talk about you or your equipment or experience. I usually start off the meeting with a round of questions.

What venue?
How many people?

I'll then lead into:

Give me a vision for the type of event you want to have.

The more I can get them to talk about themselves, and their goals, the better. If I can communicate to them that I care about their vision and making their dream a reality, I've got them hooked. The semantics of gear, experience and how we do what we do is all a distant secondary concern. If I've done that first part correctly, they already know that I'm a pro and they're convinced that I'm the guy that can make the rest of it happen for them. Just confirm what to include in the package and send the invoice.

Does the website matter? One of the things I am deadset against something called Word Press. Totally turned off from it. Had it since 2009 to 2015. It was horrible. I can't be convinced otherwise. Won't use it ever again. In one of my other ventures, outside of being a DJ, I built a website for a model train club that has launched that club into having stellar attendance and recruiting records, business for them was up 85% in 6 month's time. I was hoping for the same kind of success with that platform I'm building my new site with. The last site I had and will likely be letting go of was on Wix. Before that was Word Press. Right now because the numbers are so good for that other website I made, I was wanting to see if what I did there would carry over. if it doesn't after this, I am going back to paper ads in the local papers and carrier pigeons smoke signal kind of things. my site presently has not had any modifications. No SEO has been done so it needs to be known right now I expect nothing from it. I don't even have google analytics programmed into it, so as far as the internet is concerned, it's not there. I understand that. It is being built. it is in the rough right now. The old site did have all of that and it even tracked and listed on the first page of the search but no one called me from it.
I'm not going to throw all my eggs in one basket when it comes to websites or advertising. These things have been a tremendous let down for me in the past. I just don't understand why when everyone says it's supposed to work and doesn't. I get really frustrated with it all. Just like walking back into a burning building. but I digress, Everybody uses what they like. Please understand, I'm in no rush. It's been this long waiting longer isn't mattering for me. If I get a gig, I get a gig,if I don't I don't. Like I said, it's not do or die for me. I don't have plans on being like Mark Ferrell over night.
Now, Off to my NYE Gig . I'm not the only DJ in the building either tonight. But we're not dancing during my show we are bowling. They are dancing with the other guy of whom I don't know. Had to drive an hour back west to get this one

I meet with EVERY client before the show and talk about their event, I ask questions about ages and types their guests like what their musical tastes are . We talk about the songs that we know are not really performers and why those songs are special to them. (honestly the belly flop songs) I go for the vision of the night . How many people, where is the venue. I don't talk about my gear because it's expected. . Though it's professional grade, it's older. It's been under utilized so it's still decent. I believe that meeting with the clients and asking the critical questions are extremely important because I can know who is who before the event and who and what to expect.

you gotta go where you 'best' clients are - the only people that read the newspaper are old people. I don't view them as our ideal demographic. Is Barby the bride gonna call us because her grandmother says "I say this ad for a DJ in the paper...". No way.

IME updating your website - the file dates, so no real update, just upload the files again, every 2 weeks makes a HUGE difference in SEO. Google DOES look at that - a site with files dated a year ago is a dead site.

If I get a gig, I get a gig,if I don't I don't. You attitude determines your success. And that's not a successful, driving attitude.

I am going back to paper ads in the local papers and carrier pigeons smoke signal kind of things. my site presently has not had any modifications. No SEO has been done so it needs to be known right now I expect nothing from it. I don't even have google analytics programmed into it, so as far as the internet is concerned, it's not there. I understand that. It is being built. it is in the rough right now. The old site did have all of that and it even tracked and listed on the first page of the search but no one called me from it.
I'm not going to throw all my eggs in one basket when it comes to websites or advertising. These things have been a tremendous let down for me in the past. I just don't understand why when everyone says it's supposed to work and doesn't. I get really frustrated with it all. Just like walking back into a burning building. but I digress, Everybody uses what they like. Please understand, I'm in no rush. It's been this long waiting longer isn't mattering for me. If I get a gig, I get a gig,if I don't I don't. Like I said, it's not do or die for me. I don't have plans on being like Mark Ferrell over night.
Now, Off to my NYE Gig . I'm not the only DJ in the building either tonight. But we're not dancing during my show we are bowling. They are dancing with the other guy of whom I don't know. Had to drive an hour back west to get this one