Why I believe Gig Salad is worthless

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
I have been a free member on Gig Salad since 2010. They don't even come up on the first page for important DJ related keywords in my area. However, in some smaller towns here in Maryland, they might pop up on the bottom of the first page. I had a lead come in. Only the 2nd lead this year. Now, I have never booked anything from Gig Salad in 6 years. However, I gave it a shot and emailed this bride a quote offering my early booking discount. It's for a wedding for 200 guests for 5 hours needing 2 sound systems on a Saturday 4/22 next year. The wedding is located in Rock Hall, MD which is a beautiful area on the other side of the Chesapeake. However, it's a rural area.

I quoted $900 after the discount. I quickly got this reply. This just confirms that Gig Salad truly only attracts the low budget brides looking at the second hand sights further down on google listing trying to find a cheap DJ. That is really all those clients are. I think after 6 years I should probably just close my free listing there.

gigsalad_emails.png

Hi Bulles Deejays,

Jennifer M. has declined your quote.

Reason: The price is out of my budget
Sorry that's out of my budget

Reactions: Ausumm
I'm a Greek Salad with Chicken kind of person myself. Once a year I have to order a good Steak Salad somewhere.

Greek is good too .. but "Gig" salad seems unappealing .. :)

Seems to be for those that have no idea what a DJ costs, or how soon they should start looking for one.

on my side of the water, we put shrimp in our salad. Yes I live at the widest and deepest part of the Potomac in Virginia.

Out here on my side of the water, I fight a lot with Thumbtack. I've heard of Gig Salad, Gigmasters there is a whole gambit of them. It's Mostly rural out here where I am. Not a population density explosion like that "other" part of the state I keep talking about. Out here we got about 25,000 people vs the 3.5 million "over" there. There is so much to be said about these areas. But who has the best reach? Well obviously they do, but their highest end is my lowest out the door fee.

I have been a free member on Gig Salad since 2010. They don't even come up on the first page for important DJ related keywords in my area. However, in some smaller towns here in Maryland, they might pop up on the bottom of the first page. I had a lead come in. Only the 2nd lead this year. Now, I have never booked anything from Gig Salad in 6 years. However, I gave it a shot and emailed this bride a quote offering my early booking discount. It's for a wedding for 200 guests for 5 hours needing 2 sound systems on a Saturday 4/22 next year. The wedding is located in Rock Hall, MD which is a beautiful area on the other side of the Chesapeake. However, it's a rural area.

I quoted $900 after the discount. I quickly got this reply. This just confirms that Gig Salad truly only attracts the low budget brides looking at the second hand sights further down on google listing trying to find a cheap DJ. That is really all those clients are. I think after 6 years I should probably just close my free listing there.

gigsalad_emails.png

Hi Bulles Deejays,

Jennifer M. has declined your quote.

Reason: The price is out of my budget
Sorry that's out of my budget

It's a backlink (SEO). Leave it and forget it.

i've got a gig salad, um, gig, tomorrow night.
request for dj for well, house party I guess. 30 people, heated tent w/ dance floor. he also bought photobooth.
I've had 12 inquires and responded to 5 and booked 2 now.
No cost unless I book the gig...so no time, no money invested and I'm adding a gig a year from it.

Thumbtack has a lot more activity, but the closing rate is WAY less and costs WAY higher.

I had a bride inquire the other day. I asked about her budget and she says "I don't want to spend $1000 or anything... actually I don't want to spend $500..." I let her know where our pricing started, and simply said "It sounds like we're probably not the right fit."

I'm just thankful to get to the point quickly. There are way more brides that are not a good fit. Just trying to move through the junk leads as quick as possible is the easiest way to deal with it.

which leads to the question, should you or shouldn't you post your prices on the internet? Seems like some good cases either direction you go with it....

There won't ever be consensus on that answer. I post mine, but I don't make it super obvious on my site where it is (not in the header). So if you're really interested, you can find my pricing. If you're just skimming you'll probably miss it. But there are a few benefits to having a page that you can send people to in order to learn about pricing.

I had a bride inquire the other day. I asked about her budget and she says "I don't want to spend $1000 or anything... actually I don't want to spend $500..." I let her know where our pricing started, and simply said "It sounds like we're probably not the right fit."

I'm just thankful to get to the point quickly. There are way more brides that are not a good fit. Just trying to move through the junk leads as quick as possible is the easiest way to deal with it.

Often times, you're right, it just isn't a fit. Like all of you, I also get tire-kickers and low-ballers from time to time and I usually take it as a challenge to try and turn them. Most of the time, it doesn't work. They're set that they can have a quality DJ for $300. The most effective counter that I've been able to come up with goes something like this:

"Ma'am, I completely understand. We all have budgets to contend with. If I may be transparent with you for a moment, let me offer you this. I know plenty of guys who will do your event for $300-$500. I'll be happy to refer you. The problem is however, those cheap guys usually hurt your event more than they help. They will show up late, or take another gig that pays more, or they'll show and spend half the night getting drunk or out back smoking. You don't need that hassle. If that is your budget, I'd far recommend you rent a sound system and use an ipod. You'll have a lot less stress out of it."

Now in reality, they don't want an ipod, they want a human DJ. What I've done though is to give them a dose of reality. Everybody knows "You get what you pay for" is true and this pitch says it without having to say it. Plenty of times, I've had girls on the phone with that mindset and I've actually heard several of them say, "I think I need to re-work my budget. Thank you for sharing that with me." Of the ones who turn, they have always turned out to be fantastic clients. They've had to stretch to afford your service so they place you in high value. The key to it is being able to convey sincerity. Once you can fake that stuff, you've got it made. :cheers:

which leads to the question, should you or shouldn't you post your prices on the internet? Seems like some good cases either direction you go with it....

My take, if you're part-time or below $1k in price, post your prices. It eliminates 90% of the tire-kickers and pre-qualifies the inquiry. Your booking rate and frustration level will be far less. If you're a premium-class (top end of the scale), then I think you're better giving a ballpark (i.e. starting price) and ask for a meeting. In-person is a far more effective medium for closing top-dollar events.

Often times, you're right, it just isn't a fit. Like all of you, I also get tire-kickers and low-ballers from time to time and I usually take it as a challenge to try and turn them. Most of the time, it doesn't work.

It completely depends on how far apart we are from the get go. There's almost zero chance that I can get a bride looking to spend $500 or less up to $1850. If they throw out $1500 as their budget, I try to have a conversation about it.

right now I think if I was to get such a high dollar amount I'll be throwing in the add ons like the dance floor, the outdoor party tent and table linens, the jumbotrons , the bounce house for the kids , the photobooth, I mean we know they want that for $500 right? ( yes I am kidding, so that we know) but the kicker to me is trying to convey what value is against what? Educating people on these things has never been a strong suit of mine because I can't keep a straight face (I am actually missing a few teeth, and hence is my reason, people don't know how to receive that that well) Everybody ends up laughing at me and my credibility goes out the door. I don't get taken seriously though I am more serious than a heart attack. part of the money I was to make from being a DJ was supposed to go toward helping me to get my face fixed.

It completely depends on how far apart we are from the get go. There's almost zero chance that I can get a bride looking to spend $500 or less up to $1850. If they throw out $1500 as their budget, I try to have a conversation about it.

Wow, that's your standard price? I'd have to agree with you. In my case, I'm usually seeing a bride wanting to pay $300 and so a step up to $750 isn't a terribly huge jump. I just have to convince her that it's wise to not spend $300 on a chocolate fountain and hire me instead.

Reactions: Albatross