Who still buys hard media?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff Romard, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ittigger

ittigger 100 Acre Industry Icon

They recently (2015) stood up a sign where she used to live in Frederick, MD

Patsy Cline plaque dedicated

dunlopj likes this.
  2. dunlopj

dunlopj DJ Extraordinaire

Hmmm...did not see that. I've visited her home in WVA...

ittigger likes this.
  3. DjDennis

DjDennis RIP - JTV, RICK, PAUL, JYNXX, Esoteric

Still buy CDs, Vinyl and DVDs (movies lol)

ittigger and Jeff Romard like this.
  4. dunlopj

dunlopj DJ Extraordinaire

I buy every Blu Ray Disney and Pixar movie that comes out in anticipation of having my 1st grandchild...

5. DJ JohnThe1

DJ JohnThe1 DJ Extraordinaire

I receive a DVD with music and video monthly through my music subscription. I also still purchase my reggae music on 45s. So yes I still buy hard media.

Jeff Romard, ittigger and DjDennis like this.
  6. MIXMASTERMACHOM

MIXMASTERMACHOM DJ Extraordinaire

I am surprised you still have stores in your area selling vinyl.

7. Jeff Romard

Jeff Romard Moderator Staff Member

There's vinyl stores almost everywhere now and most do pretty well

DjDennis and ittigger like this.
  8. TwinSpinDJ

TwinSpinDJ Up-lighting

Barnes and Noble sell vinyl, too.

Jeff Romard likes this.
  9. azdeejay

azdeejay DJ Extraordinaire

So, apperanlty ,I still buy hard media, got a CD Single for a couple of remixes of "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies, it seems that was my only choice, I wasnot able to find anyone place that had them as a download.

Now, the funny part, I will have the CD to go with my one and only record, yes, I have a record version of the very CD that I just bought, ive tired many times to make a digital file from the record, but just didnt like how it sounded.

Jeff Romard, DJ Bobcat and ittigger like this.
  10. DJ Bobcat

DJ Bobcat DJ Extraordinerror

What process(es) did you use to convert your record to a digital file? I have a device that converts an output from my stereo receiver to USB, which is plugged into a computer. Then I have an application that captures the audio. I get exact copies of whatever I play through my stereo. The only drawback is you get an exact copy, including pops and hisses. Some can be removed with a good audio editor, though, if you want to go to that extreme. I recorded my entire record collection using this technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azdeejay and ittigger like this.
  11. rhythmgj

rhythmgj DJ Extraordinaire (Hey, Everybody's Doing It!)

Constantly. LP's, CD's, DVD's-- To some extent, 45's and the occasional tape. Recently started (finally) inputting my collection into Discogs. It's a pain but when it's done, keeping current will be pretty easy.

When you guys sell, I buy...

GJ

PS-- Sound-Forge is a great program for two-track editing and archiving. But if you clean your records, the stylus, and use a record weight, you can greatly reduce any surface noise.

TwinSpinDJ, ittigger and DJ Bobcat like this.
  12. azdeejay

Audio out to audio in , the record player I have access to only has a headphone jack for any sort of out , I am not a fan of records to be honest and all the extra noise that can come from them, so it was worth the $10 to me buying the CD .

ittigger and DJ Bobcat like this.
  13. DJ Bobcat

DJ Bobcat DJ Extraordinerror

I used to LOVE my records, but now... not so much. They take up too much space. They're easily scratched. You gotta turn 'em over and play them one at a time. Try to randomly play 20-30 record albums.

I got rid of most of my records years ago... the ones that I could buy duplicates of on CD. I only kept the rare stuff. I used to have thousands, but now I'd guess there's only a few hundred left. Who knows... maybe they'll be valuable someday... for whoever inherits them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Jeff Romard, azdeejay and ittigger like this.
  14. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

I'm still going to repair my TT one of these days (Yamaha PX-3 .. needs new tonearm drive belt). I have a wonderful Creek preamp waiting for it.
    Playing records at home is a visceral thing .. some things sound better actually .. if you can get past the pops and clicks.

15. azdeejay

I take it back, The CD single is not the exact as the record, one track is different, which is good, I like the track that is on the CD.

16. azdeejay

I agree that some things sound better on records, just something that was before my time and I was never able to get into them.

ittigger, Jeff Romard and DJ Bobcat like this.