Which One Requires The Most Skill?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Which is more difficult to master and why?

A Wedding DJ
A Club DJ
A Karaoke Host/KJ
A School DJ
A Corporate Event DJ
A Private Event DJ
A Bar Mitzvah DJ

Compared to what? If you've never done a wedding before, it also has a bunch of unique attributes. My angle was based on an approach of someone that had never done 'x' event before .. and learning to be proficient with it. If you've never done club work before, it could be difficult as well. Same with Karaoke, etc.

Last edited:
Club by far.

With club DJing you have to mix and do it well if you wish to succeed at it. And with new releases coming out all the time you've got to practice and learn new mixes. You want fresh mix material.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
As long as the operative word is "DJ" then they are all equal.

The time to convince people of your skills and credentials is in the SALES process. Fulfillment of the gig is always as simple as delivering whatever it is you sold. You can always enlist help or employ people as necessary to get a contract fulfilled. (i.e. If you're not a great emcee or dance instructor - hire one)

There is little you can do as a DJ to compensate for an up-front inability to effectively communicate your potential unless someone else is representing you.

I've done all seven, and more. Each has it's own focus and goals that need to be understood, and if the client does any due diligence at all - they will know before signing the contract if you are up to the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm
I think all of them can be difficult to master.

I think all of them are easy to do.

Big difference between do and master.

I've done hundreds and hundreds of weddings. I wouldn't say I've mastered it.

For me it would be Bar Mitzvah simply because I've never done one and from what I read there is alot to remember....I've done all the rest on a regular basis over the years but it would take a while to get back in to the club stuff if I ever did it again

Like the others said the one that would be the hardest would be the one you are least used to doing

No one is a master at anything as you NEVER stop learning at what you may think you know its never enough

I take it as it comes and if I see or hear something new yes i'll try it

if it wont work for me others it may do - but some things I have done and others have tried only I can do it a LOT better than they ever could

so your as talented as you need be and learn (Or Keep on Learning) ALL THE TIME