Where would you spend it?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I'm (presumably) selling 30 fixtures today, $1350, so I have some money to spend. For sound, I currently use 2 QSC K10 tops with 2 Alto TS215s subs. I occasionally find myself pushing levels on this system. It's only a few times per year, but sometimes it happens. On uplighting, I have 10 SlimparEZs (battery) and now 16 of the chinese 9X18 fixtures. If you were me, would you spend this money on upgrading the tops to K12.2 or buy 10 more 9X18 uplights? My opinion, 16 of these fixtures is probably enough to do most all of my uplighting jobs, but it leaves me only able to cover 1 uplighting event per night. I might have 1-2 uplighting jobs per year that need more lights (proms). On sound, I have a half-dozen events per year where it's not practical (needed) to haul in subs and so, the 12.2s would be a welcome upgrade. Where would you spend the money? Incidentally, I do plan on upgrading both things, later on in the year.

I'm (presumably) selling 30 fixtures today, $1350, so I have some money to spend. For sound, I currently use 2 QSC K10 tops with 2 Alto TS215s subs. I occasionally find myself pushing levels on this system. It's only a few times per year, but sometimes it happens. On uplighting, I have 10 SlimparEZs (battery) and now 16 of the chinese 9X18 fixtures. If you were me, would you spend this money on upgrading the tops to K12.2 or buy 10 more 9X18 uplights? My opinion, 16 of these fixtures is probably enough to do most all of my uplighting jobs, but it leaves me only able to cover 1 uplighting event per night. I might have 1-2 uplighting jobs per year that need more lights (proms). On sound, I have a half-dozen events per year where it's not practical (needed) to haul in subs and so, the 12.2s would be a welcome upgrade. Where would you spend the money? Incidentally, I do plan on upgrading both things, later on in the year.

I'm a "budget" DJ, so I have NO uprights at all, but you're going "upscale", so... start with the K12's. For DJ's, the sound, the music; THAT has to be the top priority. If the sound isn't top-of-the line, IMHO, you're still just a mid-tier DJ with cool lights.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a "budget" DJ, so I have NO uprights at all, but you're going "upscale", so... start with the K12's. For DJ's, the sound, the music; THAT has to be the top priority. If the sound isn't top-of-the line, IMHO, you're still just a mid-tier DJ with cool lights.[emoji4]

He is messing with you! What he means is that your physical appearance is EVERYTHING! Get a top hat and some white spandex pants....I mean "leg scrims" and you should be good to go!

I might have 1-2 uplighting jobs per year that need more lights (proms). On sound, I have a half-dozen events per year where it's not practical (needed) to haul in subs and so, the 12.2s would be a welcome upgrade.

I would think if you have 6 events that could us the speakers and 1-2 that could use lights, go with the one that is used more. Unless you have the 1 or 2 events soon and the 1/2 dozen are later in the year.

Reactions: dunlopj
I agree with Ross if you do sell these 30 lights.

With that said. If you want enough lights for 2 lighting systems, then why sell your 30 older LED fixtures anyway? If they are not broke, why fix? I mean, they work for up lighting. IF you want to do 2 up lighting events same day, it just doesn't make sense to sell 30 fixtures, then turn around and blow even more money on more fixtures imo.

I thought you had a Bose L1 system also? Can't you use that for smaller events when needed?

I would keep the lights, and also Keep the K10s, but also purchase the K12.2 speakers IF you have a need for multiple speakers.

I actually want to purchase a pair of the K12.2 speakers. ...I'm not going to do that this year though. Trip to Disney World in May will be draining my funds for the year. When I come back, I am sure I will be playing catch up for a while since I lost 2 full weekends I could have done weddings, and am spending a huge amount of money at Disney. Also, this year is kinda funky given my changing situation with the agency, and I still have a lot of open dates this summer and September/November...and only about 5 weeks left in booking season. It's not terrible, but my calendar is not good either.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
If you don't have an immediate need... I'd put the cash in the bank and wait until you are otherwise needing to make a change. Don't let the extra cash burn a hole in your pocket.

I have an outdoor event tomorrow at a venue where I've never been. I'm slightly concerned that I'm going to want to not have subs sitting on web ground. Of course, it's all a moot point since the guy with the cash bailed out on the deal. I've got a couple others on the line but nothing firm yet.

If I were you, I'd probably complete your uplighting set, so it looks as best as possible with 26 lights, for the ability to have lighting stand out with immersive coverage, and also handle larger rooms. The better images and designs created by this will actually help sell the feature and bring in more income... there's a reason why I have uplighting on 80% of my events and that's because my uplighting stands out visually compared to the "average" dj's pictures... which is exactly what higher end markets want (something you can't get from the average guy).

As far as sound goes... it is important, but are the k12.2's a big enough upgrade, or is it just a minor upgrade that will only require another future upgrade? I had the k12's and to me they're eh at best and are my monitors lol... but your needs could be different.

So for me it would be uplighting or save money for major upgrades, such as controllers, investment into moving heads and totems and programming, or here's a curveball... a videographer to create a full blown promo video for you with footage from multiple events.

I'd go with the audio and rent the lights when needed.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
He's runs a pretty monster sound system. I just think he was making the point that jumping from a K10 to a K12.2 is a step up, but not a huge one.
But for a DJ, you need to have an adequate sound base (IMO) before you address the other areas. A K12 will generally go "louder" than a K10, if nothing other than the tighter 75 degree horn will throw more towards the audience than the 90 deg horn on the K10.

I'm just messin'... You shouldn't take me too seriously.[emoji1]

Don't worry, we NEVER take you seriously ... ba dum dum tsshh

I agree with Ross if you do sell these 30 lights.

With that said. If you want enough lights for 2 lighting systems, then why sell your 30 older LED fixtures anyway? If they are not broke, why fix? I mean, they work for up lighting. IF you want to do 2 up lighting events same day, it just doesn't make sense to sell 30 fixtures, then turn around and blow even more money on more fixtures imo.

I thought you had a Bose L1 system also? Can't you use that for smaller events when needed?

I would keep the lights, and also Keep the K10s, but also purchase the K12.2 speakers IF you have a need for multiple speakers.

I actually want to purchase a pair of the K12.2 speakers. ...I'm not going to do that this year though. Trip to Disney World in May will be draining my funds for the year. When I come back, I am sure I will be playing catch up for a while since I lost 2 full weekends I could have done weddings, and am spending a huge amount of money at Disney. Also, this year is kinda funky given my changing situation with the agency, and I still have a lot of open dates this summer and September/November...and only about 5 weeks left in booking season. It's not terrible, but my calendar is not good either.

Yes, I have a Bose L1, but almost never use it. For smaller events, I can just use the K10s, but the K12s should give more punch. On the uplights, I'm probably talking out both sides of my mouth. I'm really pulling more towards going back to single-op. Only have a couple of events scheduled this season for more than 1 rig. I'm a little torn about that prom in 3 weeks. It's a big room and I no longer have the big yorkie subs. I doubt K12s will makeup the loss. Taso may be right, it may make more sense to beef up the lighting display for now.

I'm just messin'... You shouldn't take me too seriously.[emoji1]

Don't worry, we NEVER take you seriously ... ba dum dum tsshh

How can you take anyone seriously who has their own SPANDEX thread?[emoji1]

My best advice falls in the "what NOT to do" category.[emoji1] Most every member here has been at this much longer than me, so they SHOULD know "what to do" better than me.[emoji4]

Reactions: steve149
I agree with this concept... but the reverse... you can easily rent big sound... but how are you gonna find someone to rent the same exact chinese versions of what you have to match.

I'm not even sure there's anybody in this town renting lighting.........not that I've ever rented sound either. So far, my tendency has always been that if I need to cover a new kind of gig, I buy the equipment or I pass on the gig. I REALLY don't like renting. I've always been afraid that I'll take a contract, show up at the rental place and they let someone else have the gear that I was suppose to get. There's not a variety of places that do rentals here.

I'm not even sure there's anybody in this town renting lighting.........not that I've ever rented sound either. So far, my tendency has always been that if I need to cover a new kind of gig, I buy the equipment or I pass on the gig. I REALLY don't like renting. I've always been afraid that I'll take a contract, show up at the rental place and they let someone else have the gear that I was suppose to get. There's not a variety of places that do rentals here.

Around here, you can rent a KW-181 for about $100. It's such an easy way to beef up sound on the rare occasions that it is needed.

I agree with this concept... but the reverse... you can easily rent big sound... but how are you gonna find someone to rent the same exact chinese versions of what you have to match.

Here's my thinking... and I AM being serious here... Renting audio equipment, you're renting other people's problems. You don't know how it has been used, nor how many times. If some rented audio component goes out and the music stops... IT'S BAD!... If a rented light goes out, does anybody really care? Renting audio gear is an ABSOLUTE LAST resort for me.

You can rent ALL the lighting for those few events or let someone else handle it. I think the audio will be useful more often than the lighting.