When is there an event that a potential client contacts you to that will have you say no to doing

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
The obvious one is when a potential client contacts you about doing an event for them and the price they want to pay is ridiculously so low that you say no thank you.

Besides that my number one concern is not the amount a potential client wants to pay a DJ to do their event. My concerns are what type of event it is?Where the event is to take place? Who it for and who will be attending the event? When I first came back I needed to get exposure. So I would go and do any event anywhere for anybody. Some of those events were questionable events in places I didn't need to be in and for clients I didn't need to work for. That's including the people attending the event.

Today I'm selective as to the events I do. One thing I do without telling a potential client I don't want to do their event out right is to quote them a price that I know they won't agree to pay. There are times when they will try to get you to lower your price to do the event. Usually the price they have in mind is too low to even consider to doing the event. That way I got them to look elsewhere for a DJ without saying it out loud.

Taso you said the Galloping Hill Inn and Snuffy's are 2 of my favorite venues. My thing is those places and places like that are for me safe places to perform at. Most people attending an event in such a place know that it's a place where you are to dress up. Maybe one or two will be dressed inappropriately. You don't hear of a fight breaking out and the police needing to come there.

My number one priority when a potential client contacts me about doing an event for them is safely first! I don't care how much money they have to spend. If I don't feel comfortable with doing the event I will pass.

My experience is normally a client spending $500 and up are clients not having their event in some cheap venue and inviting questionable people to their event.

We will accept any event that we are equipped to do in both gear & knowledge, as long as we have no safety concerns. We have done a few events where we had to stress safety, damage and reprocussions of unruly guests, but never had to shut down an event because of it; typically a good discussion in advance keeps management on their toes. If we aren't equipped with appropriate gear or music or event knowledge that we can't acquire or learn appropriately, I simply inform the potential client that we just plain are not the best choice for the job for XYZ reasons and if there is anything we can help with to certainly let us know. If I can refer to someone more appropriate I will. Sometimes they may come back and amend their needs or expectations to more align with what we can provide, and other times we may never hear from them again. Either is ok. It does us no favors to put ourselves in a position where we can't deliver a quality service (and does the client a disservice too).

As for money in the equation, my experience is a promoter who wants a big party is willing to spend the money and considers it compensation for the damages expected. In other words, it may not indicate the quality of the guests at all. If they aren't willing to pay our asking price (a set fee for the service plus transportation) we won't book them. I won't over-price a quote hoping they walk away...after all, what if they don't?! I don't play games.

Mix, as has been told to you many times - if you actually got to work on and stuck to a business plan and other things advised to you (like finishing your site), and booked events that are out of the small little tiny area that you stay in, you might actually find better events and more pay. Until you decide to make things better, they won't be.

Last edited:
There are a thousand reasons to refuse a gig.
But regardless of the reason...if it DON'T FEEL RIGHT.... that's the red flag for me.

When is there an event that a potential client contacts you to that will have you say no to doing th

If you got an email with a message that was as confusing as the title of this thread...
wouldn't you think it was a SCAM and refuse the offer?

There are a thousand reasons to refuse a gig.
But regardless of the reason...if it DON'T FEEL RIGHT.... that's the red flag for me.

When is there an event that a potential client contacts you to that will have you say no to doing th

If you got an email with a message that was as confusing as the title of this thread...
wouldn't you think it was a SCAM and refuse the offer?

Do you mean to tel..

Reactions: PhaseIIPro

Besides that my number one concern is not the amount a potential client wants to pay a DJ to do their event.

Yeah no kidding

Today I'm selective as to the events I do. One thing I do without telling a potential client I don't want to do their event out right is to quote them a price that I know they won't agree to pay. There are times when they will try to get you to lower your price to do the event. Usually the price they have in mind is too low to even consider to doing the event. That way I got them to look elsewhere for a DJ without saying it out loud.

That method has been used by many and backfired on an equal amount (including me) you are honestly better off just saying no

Taso you said the Galloping Hill Inn and Snuffy's are 2 of my favorite venues. My thing is those places and places like that are for me safe places to perform at. Most people attending an event in such a place know that it's a place where you are to dress up. Maybe one or two will be dressed inappropriately. You don't hear of a fight breaking out and the police needing to come there.

My number one priority when a potential client contacts me about doing an event for them is safely first! I don't care how much money they have to spend. If I don't feel comfortable with doing the event I will pass.

My experience is normally a client spending $500 and up are clients not having their event in some cheap venue and inviting questionable people to their event.

You do realize that most of us NEVER have to worry about this?

Mix, as has been told to you many times - if you actually got to work on and stuck to a business plan and other things advised to you (like finishing your site), and got events that are out of the small little tiny area that you stay in, you might actually find better events and more pay. Until you decide to make things better, they won't be.
I haven't had such an issue like that in a very long time because I don't chase after any gig any more. I don't need work or money that bad any more.

I haven't had such an issue like that in a very long time because I don't chase after any gig any more. I don't need work or money that bad any more.

So you're saying you haven't had a good gig in a long time? I believe you