What's your price to work free?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I do free work whenever it is appropriate and whenever I am able. LOVE doing it. I love helping people who need help, organizations who need a hand, churches, etc... If I can do it, I will.

Pay it forward is what I believe in.

In the future I'd like to move more to they pay full price and we write them a check as a donation equal to the amount of the contract. Since it's difficult to write off services as a deduction, it translates to a deductible contribution for us. It also makes the value more real because they wrote a check for it. And lastly, it makes our contribution value more real a second time when our name is on the books from a cash donation. I will have to experiment with it and see how it's actually received. Maybe next time. ;-)

The only issue I forsee with this (and I've been there) is that you will have to claim it as income on your taxes (which means you'll have to pay taxes on it). If you then write a check for the same amount, you're left with the tax bill on what you took as 'income'.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
@rickryan we actually have a saying that is about an event being "worth doing for free"......puts it more into perspective for us.

Those are kinda like bigfoot. I've heard of them and guess that somebody has actually seen one before but I sure haven't.

I pick the charities for whom I will perform at no charge. Ronald McDonald House & Cerebral Palsy Centers are the only two. Both our dogs are certified and registered Therapy Dogs so when we do an event, it's an "all hands on deck" Capello event.

These events equate to about 10 dates a year and all but 3 are mid-week. I would be heartbroken if not asked to musically host these great 2 to 3-hour parties. My love cup gets filled to overflowing.

Those are kinda like bigfoot. I've heard of them and guess that somebody has actually seen one before but I sure haven't.
Sorry Rick, but true charity and philanthropy is not fictional and definitely not a scary figment of imagination.

If you have no such cause/purpose in your personal life that can benefit from your professional abilities, I pray you find some...you will be SUBSTANTIALLY happier for the effort and the contribution.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Yes, I would donate my time for select organizations or charities here that I do believe in or would support maybe a couple of times each year. I did provide audio support for free to a club that I am a member of for some years, but that no longer takes place.

Reactions: ittigger