What's your favorite Hydraulic aka air Speaker stands

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

d2benz

DJ
Feb 10, 2011
washington dc
I currently use Yorkville's crank speaker stands (SKS-31B) and I love them. I feel it's time to upgrade to "AirMatic" stands, I'm looking at the "Ultimate Support TS-100B"
Does anyone have experience in these stands? I know the TS-90B were popular. OR if there are any recommendations .. Thanks in advance
Cheers!
d2benz

I have the 100Bs. They are solid and do the job, but they are not perfect. The way they fold up and set up is kind of weird. It's like the legs twist out/in which you kind of have to get use to. The other thing I'm not a fan is you really have to be extra careful unloading the air. Do it slowly and carefully or it will shoot the pole up incredibly fast and can be very dangerous if any part of you is in its path especially if you don't have a speaker on it or a light speaker on it.

I don't have any experience with the Frankenstands, but they seem to be highly regarded. The fold up and setup of the legs are more natural and unloading the air looks a lot more safer with better control. I think though that they don't extend as high and carry as much rated speaker weight.

Reactions: d2benz
I used the Ultimate Support TS-110-B to "fly" a 60" monitor above and behind me. At first, they were great but as time went on, they started losing their umph to lift. The life-time warranty is great but one must send in the defective unit, wait and wait and wait, get the decision if it's a factory issue, then wait and wait for a replacement to be shipped and then arrive. I bought a second one to bridge the timing gap. Within 6 months, it failed as well. The TV was well within the weight capacity limits, therefore my opinion based on two back-to-back failed units, is the bladder design and materials used are not up to its rated specs. I've gone back to the crank stand for this monitor.

When I purchased the Bose F1-812 / F1-Sub combos, there were many events where a pair of F1--812 would handle the event without the need for the Subs. Although effective placing the speakers on the floor and adjusting the array accordingly, I wasn't comfortable with that setup. I had several makes and models of standard tripods in inventory but I wanted something new and sexy to mount the F1-812.

At the DJ Expo in Atlantic City I saw and played with the Gator Framewoks air powered tripod stands. Bought two pairs of them and then are (so far) rock solid. The downside of these stands is that the user won't be able to elevate their speakers more than 6' - 7' . The leg locking system (friction lever) is not death grip tight so the legs may slowly expand to its widest point under the weight of the speakers (42 lbs in my case).

ID series Speaker Stand-GFW-ID-SPKR | Gator Frameworks

Last edited:
I used the Ultimate Support TS-110-B to "fly" a 60" monitor above and behind me. At first, they were great but as time went on, they started losing their umph to lift. The life-time warranty is great but one must send in the defective unit, wait and wait and wait, get the decision if it's a factory issue, then wait and wait for a replacement to be shipped and then arrive. I bought a second one to bridge the timing gap. Within 6 months, it failed as well. The TV was well within the weight capacity limits, therefore my opinion based on two back-to-back failed units, is the bladder design and materials used are not up to its rated specs. I've gone back to the crank stand for this monitor.
So Cap, which crank stand do you use to "fly" the 60" monitor?

Now, I'm curious what mounting bracket you use to mount the tv?
I knew that was coming next. LOL.

I custom built a T-Bar for the TS110B that I modified to fit the Global Truss stand.

Mounted the dry wall hooks on the back of the TV screen (top for hanging, bottom for gripping);
Mounted a standard lighting crossbar on top of the stand removing all the hardware that came with it;
Lift the TV and hang it from the back top hooks on the crossbar;
If possible, feed HDMI and power cable down the center of the tripod.

In the 02 image, that thingy on top is where I can mount a "crowd cam" to integrate into performances.

Attachments

• 04-videomount.jpg
    04-videomount.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 05-videomount.jpg
    05-videomount.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 06-videomount.jpg
    06-videomount.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 02-videomount.jpg
    02-videomount.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I also use the Ultimate Support TS-110-B and have never had any problems with mine. I will say as mentioned above just be careful as to which thumb knob you open and don't put too much weight on them.

Not to derail the thread but @Cap Capello what facade are you using in that pic?
I like that it's long but with lots of flexibility due to the short width of the individual panels.
Is it home made?

Reactions: Cap Capello
It's four panels, 2 ' x 4 ' each and it's actually for trade show presentations. Black carpet on the front. Gray carpet on the reverse. Pretty lightweight and extremely durable.

No. It's made by a company that does trade show presentation stuff. I have no other information. I bought it from a photographer going out of business.

Reactions: DJ TJ
I own 4 hercules crank dj light stands for at least 6-7 years. They are expensive but still work like new. I use them with screens, speakers, projectors, etc. One of the best buys I ever made out of audio/video/electronics.

Last edited: