What would you do?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

oldschool

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 25, 2018
I run exclusivity EV gear, T252+ tops and MTL-1x subs. I have 4 tops and 4 subs now as my main system. I have a chance to pick up, up to 4 pair of EV T252+ tops at $600.00 a pair. I'm thinking if I don't use them myself, I can flip some of them. 600 a pair is a great deal, and there in excellent condition.
Should I do it?

I run exclusivity EV gear, T252+ tops and MTL-1x subs. I have 4 tops and 4 subs now as my main system. I have a chance to pick up, up to 4 pair of EV T252+ tops at $600.00 a pair. I'm thinking if I don't use them myself, I can flip some of them. 600 a pair is a great deal, and there in excellent condition.
Should I do it?

If you like those speakers, $600 a pair is probably a pretty good deal. Those speakers are not exactly plentiful on the used gear market. I guess if you can make a good business case, go for it. Good luck![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldschool
A lot of our gigs have multiple stages, I can break down my big system and have 2 smaller yet identical rigs, but I can't do the main stage if I break it up. They don't come up for sale very often yet despite there age they are still great speakers and they seem to hold there own compared to whats being offered in passive speakers even today. If I add 2 more pair, I can still have enough equipment to run the main stage and 1 or 2 side stages.
The drivers alone are worth what there asking. Could be a good source for parts or spares if any of my current speakers decides to up and quit.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Only you know the answer. Do you have enough work to make back the money in very short order?

It will be difficult to sell these, so the only valid reason to buy them is to generate INCOME. That means they start working right away and increase the total of your invoices. Do not buy them on the "hope" that new uses or business will follow. If you don't have a seat on the INCOME bus for these right now - it's not a smart move.

Reactions: djrox and oldschool
I have a gig coming up Nov 10 that would pay for a pair easy. I'm also thinking about back up equipment should one of my mains go down for some reason. Waiting to have a speaker re coned may interfere with my schedule should I need to replace one. The diaphragms for the horns alone run $150.00 each. I'm thinking about getting at least one pair for the above reasons alone. I do some gigs that require zones so I can use them that way as well.
As for flipping equipment, I have done that many many times. Sure sometimes you may sit on something for a little while, but I have never lost money doing it.
And like you said, these speakers don't come up for sale very often so finding a replacement for my current system may be difficult even if I have plenty of time to do so.

Last edited:
I have a gig coming up Nov 10 that would pay for a pair easy. I'm also thinking about back up equipment should one of my mains go down for some reason. Waiting to have a speaker re coned may interfere with my schedule should I need to replace one. The diaphragms for the horns alone run $150.00 each. I'm thinking about getting at least one pair for the above reasons alone. I do some gigs that require zones so I can use them that way as well.
As for flipping equipment, I have done that many many times. Sure sometimes you may sit on something for a little while, but I have never lost money doing it.
And like you said, these speakers don't come up for sale very often so finding a replacement for my current system may be difficult even if I have plenty of time to do so.

If these are the speakers you rely on then you should already have spare drivers in stock for them. Spending $600 to acquire a $150 spare driver is a poor use of money. If you want a spare driver - then buy the spare driver and not an entire speaker cabinet. If you need to replace defective equipment it makes more sense to buy modern equipment not a legacy product.

Again, it comes down to INCOME - $600 spent today needs to equate to 3 or 4 times that amount in NEW revenue in the next several weeks. Otherwise what's the point?

If these are the speakers you rely on then you should already have spare drivers in stock for them. Spending $600 to acquire a $150 spare driver is a poor use of money. If you want a spare driver - then buy the spare driver and not an entire speaker cabinet. If you need to replace defective equipment it makes more sense to buy modern equipment not a legacy product.

Again, it comes down to INCOME - $600 spent today needs to equate to 3 or 4 times that amount in NEW revenue in the next several weeks. Otherwise what's the point?
That 600 dollars doesn't just buy a single spare driver. It buy's 6 drivers plus 2 crossovers. It also allows me to use them for more income because I can run multiple systems. Buying new speakers that equal the performance would cost 3 to 4 times as much.
I don't have spares for my mains, so acquiring cheap (matched) back ups may not be a bad idea.
Besides, can't I just want something without profit being a factor? I bought a pair just like these a few years to flip and doubled my money in 30 days.

Last edited:
I have a lot of similar EV stuff , EV T251+'& T251. Love the cabs. If you have work for them & or want to continue have parts. Yes go for it, having spare cabinets available makes things easier. If you want to just flip the cabinets I wouldn't do that. There is not a great market for the passive cabinets now. Hell, I am trying to get rid of my oldest four T251s. If I were to replace them with new cabinets they would be powered. But your right eventually you would be able to sell them it just takes a lot of time.

I have a lot of similar EV stuff , EV T251+'& T251. Love the cabs. If you have work for them & or want to continue have parts. Yes go for it, having spare cabinets available makes things easier. If you want to just flip the cabinets I wouldn't do that. There is not a great market for the passive cabinets now. Hell, I am trying to get rid of my oldest four T251s. If I were to replace them with new cabinets they would be powered. But your right eventually you would be able to sell them it just takes a lot of time.

I have a pair of the T221 I picked up last year. I've been using them for monitors and side fills. I mainly bought them for parts as well, but I've been using them until or if I need the horns. What are you asking for your 15's?

I am in NY. I can't ship anything this large & heavy. All the EV stuff with drop shipped to me via UPS. How my dealer did it I don't know but it didn't cost much then. But when I ship small stuff even with the eBay discount it cost me a lot to ship. The four T251 are in my B system I use the A system but the T251 & T251+ look the same but I think the horn driver is alittle different and the + feel heavier. I find some pictures & post them in a few.

Wow, I can't believe I found pictures of them that fast. I had a sale folder on the iPad. LolView attachment 35377View attachment 35378
Thanks for the pic's, It's nice to see some vintage EV gear is still holding there own. Those would fit rite in with my system. To bad your so far away, shipping would cost more then the spaekers.

Here is my somewhat vintage EV system. Your 15's would feel right at home here in EV land.
was hopping you were closer but you'll find them a good home I'm sure.

qnwrdh.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4138.JPG
    IMG_4138.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4143.JPG
    IMG_4143.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If you're happy with the speakers you have and not looking for a change it looks like a good opportunity. Doesn't seem like a bad investment if you have a few events already where they could be utilized. Necessary? Maybe not. But not necessarily a bad idea. It's a good chance to evaluate where you are at and where you want to be in terms of events, clients, equipment.....it's not so much an upgrade as adding to your arsenal. I agree with having a fleet of like-model speakers....but not sure you should listen to the girl who hauls 24 18's to an event ;-)

Reactions: ittigger
I am in NY. I can't ship anything this large & heavy. All the EV stuff with drop shipped to me via UPS. How my dealer did it I don't know but it didn't cost much then. But when I ship small stuff even with the eBay discount it cost me a lot to ship. The four T251 are in my B system I use the A system but the T251 & T251+ look the same but I think the horn driver is alittle different and the + feel heavier. I find some pictures & post them in a few.

If I'm not mistaken the T251 and 251+ are like the T252 and T252+ being the only difference is the xover. One is full range and the other can be bi amped. Other then that they are the same.

If you're happy with the speakers you have and not looking for a change it looks like a good opportunity. Doesn't seem like a bad investment if you have a few events already where they could be utilized. Necessary? Maybe not. But not necessarily a bad idea. It's a good chance to evaluate where you are at and where you want to be in terms of events, clients, equipment.....it's not so much an upgrade as adding to your arsenal. I agree with having a fleet of like-model speakers....but not sure you should listen to the girl who hauls 24 18's to an event ;-)

I am very happy with my system, despite it's age, I will put it up against many of the newer offerings out there. Manufactures are not offering much in the way of passive speakers these days unless you go high end. (Don't even get me started on the pro's and cons of powered vs. passive) Thogh the system I have now has handled everything I have thrown at it. It just seems logical to acquire some back up equipment (at a good price) even if I don't have a use for it at the moment. I have spare amps, mixer, eq's, pc, xover, but not speakers. He just emailed me and said he only has one pair left. They match my current system and can be rotated in and out still keeping everything matched. I would rather have more subs then tops but maybe I'll find a matching pair of subs down the road someday or build some, since MTL1x subs are very rare.

I am very happy with my system, despite it's age, I will put it up against many of the newer offerings out there. Manufactures are not offering much in the way of passive speakers these days unless you go high end. (Don't even get me started on the pro's and cons of powered vs. passive) Thogh the system I have now has handled everything I have thrown at it. It just seems logical to acquire some back up equipment (at a good price) even if I don't have a use for it at the moment. I have spare amps, mixer, eq's, pc, xover, but not speakers. He just emailed me and said he only has one pair left. They match my current system and can be rotated in and out still keeping everything matched. I would rather have more subs then tops but maybe I'll find a matching pair of subs down the road someday or build some, since MTL1x subs are very rare.
There are OTHER passive subs out there that can run with the EVs ...

Reactions: ittigger