What to play after OTR&R?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

maestro

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 30, 2006
British Columbia
www.musicmaestrodj.com
Pondering the age old question... what to play after OTR&R? I've used Hurt So Good, Celebration and a few others of course, also just tried beat-mixing into Love Shack and that sounds pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has a cool 'floor-packer tune that they like to use after that classic Seger tune that keeps the energy up and the floor packed!?!?

Reactions: ittigger
I recall going into Billie Jean a few times.

Pondering the age old question... what to play after OTR&R? I've used Hurt So Good, Celebration and a few others of course, also just tried beat-mixing into Love Shack and that sounds pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has a cool 'floor-packer tune that they like to use after that classic Seger tune that keeps the energy up and the floor packed!?!?

I do Footloose in to OTR&R to YSMANL then Twisting the night away rod Stewart version. Depending on the crowd Save a horse or maybe Authority song

I take it into Pretty Woman in the Oldies mix I have on my website: Oldies Dance Mix

Without pulling up the file, I believe it's 127ish bpm. If you want to stay in that range you can go a lot of directions... MJ - PYT, AC/DC - Shook Me All Night, Pat Benetar - Hit Me With your Best Shot...

But from that speed you can totally take the set in a different direction if you want to keep energy high but move on from the oldies or rock music.

FWIW, most of the 60-70 aged group don't like mixed tracks; they want to hear the whole song. I've done the mix track thingy and many times did I get "dirty" looks when the song was interrupted. LOL I'd usually announce that the song would be played in its entirety later in the evening. But, be sure to make good on your promise. LOL

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
FWIW, most of the 60-70 aged group don't like mixed tracks; they want to hear the whole song. I've done the mix track thingy and many times did I get "dirty" looks when the song was interrupted. LOL I'd usually announce that the song would be played in its entirety later in the evening. But, be sure to make good on your promise. LOL
Same with most 40-60 yos as well. Club folks like the mix, and I'm sure I did back in the day when your only goal was scoring .. :)

How and when to mix takes judgement. I don't think older folks are generally against music being blended together. But quick mixes of songs they like are generally not appreciated. I generally let songs run much longer, and put less of a premium on being able to seamlessly blend between them. But as long you don't play over-remixed versions with stupid hype on them.. I've never seen any older person object to a smooth mix into the next tune.

"I've never seen any older person object to a smooth mix into the next tune."

Agreed. No problem with seamless outro to intro, but when a song has reached 3/4 done and then a new song blended, doesn't always go over well with some people. Got to try it and then learn from it whichever way it flows with the crowd. Old people are strange...set in their ways. I've seen couples walk off the floor when the mixed song begins to play because they didn't care for it, not because it was flawlessly blended.

It's not that old people are strange, it's just that the young'uns have a very short attention span.
It's been my experience that the older crowd actually appreciate the music whereas the younger crowd only cares about being part of "the scene".
Couple that with the fact that since most of the kids today don't even dance, they just jump around, it's easier to mix partial songs because they only care that there's a beat to keep them moving instead of the song itself.

It's not that old people are strange, it's just that the young'uns have a very short attention span.
It's been my experience that the older crowd actually appreciate the music whereas the younger crowd only cares about being part of "the scene".
Couple that with the fact that since most of the kids today don't even dance, they just jump around, it's easier to mix partial songs because they only care that there's a beat to keep them moving instead of the song itself.
Well, we actually HAVE music to appreciate .. :)