What do you think about this?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
They used these at the prom last night. Obviously not trussing but I wonder if it wouldn't be an effective uplighted visual. Big thing it's lightweight, collapsible and looks nice. Thoughts?

Satin Fabric Covered Column | Anderson's

Well... the photo looks good, but the reviews; not so much. If it's not very sturdy and/or looks like it's gonna fall over, then I think I'd pass.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen some of the kits at some of the events I've done . The stuff is not sturdy and really designed to be used more than once. It also seem like a project putting the stuff together. But for the schools I think that's part of the fun putting that together as a group .

How would this decor be different from totems?

Totems are typically for the purpose of supporting a light at the top. If you just like the look of a lighted column, you could use them in the same way. But the reviews sound like they would look and feel cheap - and probably not be road worthy if you're using them more than once.

Reactions: dashadow
I like this review "You can see thru the 'satin' fabric and see the supports...... which are not supportive at all and look like the leaning tower of prom".

I would think you could build something more durable and have the same look.

Reactions: Ausumm
You can always build something more sturdy, but you'd also be adding more weight. Everything has trade-offs.[emoji4]

My build stuff is crappy. I'm looking at some 7ft glow totems but dang, $500 each. I'm really leaning towards one of those units. Kinda wondering if they would support 2 Chauvet 255 movers (using a Y adapter) each. I'd like to have 4 fixtures but not really wanting to setup 4 totems.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
My build stuff is crappy. I'm looking at some 7ft glow totems but dang, $500 each. I'm really leaning towards one of those units. Kinda wondering if they would support 2 Chauvet 255 movers (using a Y adapter) each. I'd like to have 4 fixtures but not really wanting to setup 4 totems.
They don't look like they would support the box for the Chauvet 255, let alone the unit.

Reactions: DJ TJ and DJ Bobcat
You can always build something more sturdy, but you'd also be adding more weight. Everything has trade-offs.[emoji4]

I dunno... Sounds to me like they barely support their own weight, much less the weight of a moving light fixture.[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the prom columns (like I originally posted) or the Odyssey DJ totems (base+4 poles+platform)? I thought the real totems were suppose to be pretty sturdy?

(2) Trusst Glo Totem 2.0 Truss Lighting Towers with Scrim Cover
The tall ones you posted.

The issue with the glow totems is they are only the 4 poles, no bracing, so as they get taller, they will get more unsteady. At 6.5 feet, It may be fine for a fixed PAR, not sure about an active mover.

The tall ones you posted.

The issue with the glow totems is they are only the 4 poles, no bracing, so as they get taller, they will get more unsteady. At 6.5 feet, It may be fine for a fixed PAR, not sure about an active mover.

That lack of cross-bracing is what scares me but I'd really like to add totems and without changing gear haulers, I'm kinda stuck. Even with a full-size chevy express cargo van, I'm simply out of room. Guess I could install racks and haul them on top..............well, no, bad idea.

Reactions: ittigger
That lack of cross-bracing is what scares me but I'd really like to add totems and without changing gear haulers, I'm kinda stuck. Even with a full-size chevy express cargo van, I'm simply out of room. Guess I could install racks and haul them on top..............well, no, bad idea.
Maybe someone makes a simple X brace to put in the middle to stiffen it. Or maybe you can make something with O-clamps, wire cable and a couple of turnbuckles.

The glow totems will support a mover just fine. I know people that use them, and even put tv's on them, you won't have issues... assuming we're talking about the same product.
I would think a lot depends on the lockup between the 4 poles and the bottom/top plates. Probably supports a mover fine, but I would suspect there is more vibration through an unsupported pole vs. a normal piece of truss. The shorter ones (5') probably are OK .. I would think there is play with the taller 6.5' ones.

I would think a lot depends on the lockup between the 4 poles and the bottom/top plates. Probably supports a mover fine, but I would suspect there is more vibration through an unsupported pole vs. a normal piece of truss. The shorter ones (5') probably are OK .. I would think there is play with the taller 6.5' ones.

I've seen a couple of different designs. One of them has screws connecting directly to the poles. Not sure how tight that would be. The other looks more like standard pipe&drape where you fit the pole over a 1.5" pin with a locking pin. P&D hardware usually has pretty tight tolerance and the smaller mover (chauvet 255) doesn't have a lot of head weight to it. I have mind mounted on flat speaker mounts, on top of a tripod and they hardly move at all.

I've seen a couple of different designs. One of them has screws connecting directly to the poles. Not sure how tight that would be. The other looks more like standard pipe&drape where you fit the pole over a 1.5" pin with a locking pin. P&D hardware usually has pretty tight tolerance and the smaller mover (chauvet 255) doesn't have a lot of head weight to it. I have mind mounted on flat speaker mounts, on top of a tripod and they hardly move at all.
Weight shouldn't be an issue for just mounting a mover. The issues with 4 independent poles would be torsion and flex. The longer the poles, the more flex.

They may work fine, but I'd be prepared to add something to limit the torque effect.

Theres no flex with a base plate on the top and bottom. As long as you use 4 pins (like a normal truss) on both the top and bottom. I was extremely skeptical at first as well... until I saw and felt them in person and tried to push their limits. they behave just like normal truss for the most part for lower weight items like a moving head or a tv... tv's dont weigh much more than 50 or 60lbs nowadays.