Weddings What do you charge?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I keep mine simple. I get all the info from the customer first, do some math, and give them a price. It's $100 a man hour including set up, tear down, and travel. $.50 a mile for any travel over 15 miles. All extra expenses with a 50% mark-up. Minimum price of $350.

Sound only usually takes about 1.25 hrs set up and tear down. 4 hours dj'ing. $525 dollars. Add a few light, adds time, adds to cost of gig.

I am usually around twice the price of my competition in the area, but I have a real good rep. Seems there are a lot of double booking in the area with unfortunate cancellations. aka someone offers more money for the same night.

Now several of them are complaining about not getting bookings, go figure. And here I am turning work down. Good business ethic goes a long way in any service industry in my book.

Today, I quoted a combination Ceremony/Wedding Reception to be held at the same location, same room. They wanted to do it all in 4 hours. No rehearsal the day prior as they don't have the hall. I gave them my quote. He goes on to say that there will be a meal during the reception and that "i suppose you could play some background music." And then goes on to say, "you will only be playing 2 hours of music for dancing." I then commence to tell him about the prepwork, meeting with B&G, Ceremony Program, Reception Program, load-in, load-out, etc. Gave him a military discount, too. The wedding is next Sunday (6/5/11). He tells me that he'll keep checking on price and may call me back. I'm not holding my breath. I'm not going to give away my business. :(

first thing i ask is whats the date then what are they doing and for how many hours, if they tell me they only need me for 2 hours they pay the 4 hour price

Every event is different.
This past weekend: Saturday eve. $1,100; Sunday $1,700
Rates are based on their needs, location, availability, etc.